Century Optics 16:9 Widescreen Adapter - Page 6 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old December 14th, 2007, 10:20 AM   #76
Regular Crew

A-dap-tor kit...

I've got a question, with the 16:9 adaptor mounted on the camera, why is the zoom limited? What happends when you try to zoom in fully, is there a chance of damaging the camera?
David L. Holmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2007, 11:08 AM   #77
Trustee

No, you will not damage the camera, but after a certain zoom point, you will not be able to focus correctly anymore.
Old December 14th, 2007, 01:46 PM   #78
Sponsor: Schneider Optics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Blizzard View Post
This seems to be just what I am looking for. YES !! I have two GL2 cams. However, would you please answer some questions?

Can we say that this lens will give me a true anamorphic picture? I think the answer is "YES". If so, how will I "unsqueeze " the picture when I capture it using Premiere Elements? It's OK if I don't,or don't need to, but my main concern is if I burn the final editied project to a DVD will it be in an anamorphic 16:9 format on the disc?

In other words will a DVD player set in the 4:3 mode properly display the geometry of my film with black bars at the top and bottom of the screen? Yet if the DVD player is set in the 16:9 mode, will the picture have correct geometry and fill the widescreen TV ???
Tom,

Thanks for your call. I figured I would answer these questions here instead of in a call so that everyone can benefit.

The 16:9 attachment will give you a true anamorphic image in that the image is original resolution and nothing sacrificed. The image is just squeezed to 16:9. Therefore, the camera should be set on normal 4:3 mode when shooting. As far as image editing to DVD, we have never tried to burn the image to DVD so I cannot say how it would play on the TV after being run through the software. However, the when we run footage back from tape in the camera, the image is displayed filling the monitor. If you had a 16:9 television, I would image (but have not tested) that this would fill the frame as well. We designed the optic to squeeze the image and tested it for resolution on the screen. Any other editing issues and result thereof would need to be directed at someone from that software company or a more knowledgable user on that subject.

Ryan Avery
Scheider Optics
Ryan Avery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2007, 01:48 PM   #79
Sponsor: Schneider Optics

A Note to all,

We have sold out of all 16:9 anamorphic lenses in our stock. We will no longer offer the lens at $99 but we will still be able to manufacture the lens on request. The price will return to normal at $895.00 or less depending on your dealer.

Thanks,

Ryan Avery
Schneider Optics
Ryan Avery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2007, 03:25 PM   #80
Regular Crew

Thanks Ryan. Glad I ordered mine last night.

Your reply is fine. Displayed aspect ratio can be easily controled, in most cases, with the TV remote anyway. However, it will be interesting to see how it comes out.

Stage production with a full orchestra and/or chorus sure makes a great 16:9 picture. When I saw the 4:3 frame in rehersal, I couldn't believe the wasted resolution on the overhead spotlights and even the first two or three rows of seats. Guess I'll have to just mask that out this time since the production will take place before my order arrives. Thanks so much for the great deal!
Regards, Tom

Oh yes, thanks to Bob Thieda too. Without this thread I might not have ever know about this great deal for my GL 2 cams.
Tom Blizzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2007, 06:30 PM   #81
Major Player

Got one the other day, glad I did before you ran out! Now I can use my HV20 and GL1 at the same time for some SD experiments I have in mind. =)
Old December 14th, 2007, 06:45 PM   #82
Regular Crew

Whew! I just placed an order over the phone just a hour before Ryan posted that message. I just hope everything is ok. (I actually sent you an email, Ryan) I wanted to order last night, but the site registration didn't work for me.. (anyone else with the same problem? It would register, but then say wrong login every time. I have tried two times) I spoke with Nathan and he said there is a few more '16:9 58mm screw in lenses' coming in a few days.. those are the very last for $99.

I also ordered the LCD WIDE SCREEN CONVERTER & 4X4 SUNSHADE FILTER/HOLDER.

I was hesitating between a Canon XHA1 or two VX2100's. This deal definitely made me go for the Vx2100's, which i am going to buy tomorrow. :)

Last edited by Chris van der Zaan; December 15th, 2007 at 04:45 AM.
Chris van der Zaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2007, 09:09 PM   #83
Regular Crew

Yes Chris, I have had the same problem. I talked to Nathan too. I have not been able to log on all day today. At first I thought I forgot my password, but not so.

I'll try again tomorrow. Glad you got your lens.
Old December 21st, 2007, 12:49 PM   #84
Regular Crew

This lens is absolutely phenomenal! I've been hesitant to purchase accessories for my slowly antiquated GL2, but this seems to have been well worth it.

I'm an amateur videographer and so I'm sure my questions have (expensive?) solutions. Regardless, here they are:

1. Is there any way to mount filters onto the lens? I usually use a 58mm threaded UV filter, but it must be removed in order to mount the 16:9 adapter. I also do not see threads on the front of the adapter.

2. Is there an inexpensive sunshade I could purchase for this?

I think the obvious "sunshade filter holder" will kill both birds, but the ones I've seen are way out of my price range. Please suggest any cheap solutions!
Sunny Singh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2007, 01:18 PM   #85
Regular Crew

Same here. I would like to get a sunshade for the lens!!
Old December 21st, 2007, 06:48 PM   #86
Regular Crew

UPS was at my door to offer the package to me today. Unfortunately i was just gone. I can't wait to start using this lens! It breaths new life into 'old' 4:3 sd camcorders... and holds off expensive hd for a while.

Prior to purchase i searched for a different sunshade other than listed on Schneideroptics as well, but i haven't found any which would fit. Thats why i bought it anyway....
http://www.schneideroptics.com/Ecomm...D=1460&IID=949

Yes, its $100.... but it can fit optional 4x4 filters, which i am hopefully going to collect as well.

Btw. Nathan mailed me that they have fixed the password problem. It is a problem with their code, not accepting passwords longer than 10chars. Get your password changed to something less than 10chars and things will be ok. :)

Last edited by Chris van der Zaan; December 22nd, 2007 at 04:05 AM.
Chris van der Zaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2007, 07:54 PM   #87
Inner Circle

Chris:

Got mine for the VX2000 last week. Have done a bit of shooting with it, and then stretch it in Vegas. Pretty nice results. Its feels like I have a new SD 16:9 camera. Gonna have a little fun with it in the next couple of weeks.
Old December 21st, 2007, 10:08 PM   #88
Regular Crew

Thanks for the link, Chris. That seems to be the "cheapest" solution I've seen.

Also, I'd like to add that only con to this lens is the inability to effectively zoom. I don't know how often I'll be filming a shot that requires zoom, but not having the option is the only downside I can see so far.
Sunny Singh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2007, 10:55 PM   #89
Regular Crew

Same here, Chris. Thanks for the link. So that does fit the 16:9 lens for the GL2 ?? I couldn't even find it on the Century or reather schnider site.

Sunny, do you have any zoom at all??
Old December 22nd, 2007, 03:57 AM   #90
Regular Crew

according to bhp and videolinea it fits all ds-1609 lenses

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...terholder.html

http://www.videolinea.com/articolosc...ice=DS-FH44-00

"Ideal filtering solution for Mini DV camcorders like Canon’s GL2/GL1, Sony’s DCR-PD170/150, VX-2100/2000 VX1000, & similar size camcorders. Accepts two 4”x4” glass filters."

It seems to clamp on, so it shouldn't be a problem? I guess ask Schneider to be 100% sure.

This was in the description for the 16:9 vx2100/pd170 adapter when it was still listed on the Schneideroptics site:

"The Century 16:9 Widescreen Adapter allows for partial zooming — one-half to two-thirds of the range (from wide toward telephoto) depending on available light."

Chris B: sounds great!
Chris van der Zaan is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders