DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   Zooming using the top handle = slower/harder? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-gl-series-dv-camcorders/19210-zooming-using-top-handle-slower-harder.html)

David Ho January 3rd, 2004 07:52 PM

Zooming using the top handle = slower/harder?

I just got my GL2 a few days ago and I started playing around with it. You know the two zoom buttons on the top handle (where the advanced shoe and the recording controls are?) For some reason, are the zooming controls on the top handle SLOWER than the regular side grip where you use your thumb if you're handhelding it? I don't know if its just my camcorder or what, it also seems to be that I have to press a little harder than usual to zoom in/zoom out than the side grip.

Maybe I have to do something in the zooming controls? But, arent the handle and grip zooming rate the same? So if the grip is moderately fast, shouldn't the handle be too? Or are there two different sets of controls for each handle/grip?

Dan Owens January 3rd, 2004 08:40 PM

Hi David,

I don't own one, but I thought I read somewhere that you can set the zoom speeds independently of each other. I believe it is a setting in the menu somewhere.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Alan McCormick January 3rd, 2004 11:36 PM

zooms

Ah!

But I have had some funnies (NOT) recently where I set the handle and grip zooms at different levels as it makes the shoot easier. I can zoom in "quick" (in autofocus) change to manual focus then zoom out at "low" speed"

The top handle zoom is set for Fast and sometimes it just does not work, other times it is OK.

I plan to look into this further over the next few days.

Rainer Halonen January 4th, 2004 08:18 AM

On the GL2, the zoom control on the side is variable speed, the top one is not. The top can be set to slow, medium, or fast via the menu as you have discovered. There is also a "lock" button on the side of the handle to disable the top controls.

Maybe you had accidentally moved this button so the controls didn't work?

David Ho January 4th, 2004 08:25 AM

I'm not saying the controls don't work on the handle. They are just HARD to press down and slow.

Alan McCormick January 4th, 2004 10:31 AM

Lock?

Thanks Rainer, will check this and reply later.

Ken Tanaka January 4th, 2004 12:21 PM

Yes, David, the handle zoom rocker is harder to press than the main zoom rocker. I suspect that this is by design, given the location of this rocker.

Alan McCormick January 5th, 2004 04:14 AM

Lock

Rainer,

You are a star, the lock was in place :(

I came unstuck at the very end of a wedding on Friday and no time to look into the prob, I will however learn by this subtle mistake in the future.

HAPPY New year to you :)

Graham Bernard January 5th, 2004 04:18 AM

Alan, it's very easy to knock forward the lock. Done this several times. I feel that the actual lock needs a more positive lock/click - yeah?

Grazie