Zooming using the top handle = slower/harder? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old January 3rd, 2004, 07:52 PM   #1
Major Player

Zooming using the top handle = slower/harder?

I just got my GL2 a few days ago and I started playing around with it. You know the two zoom buttons on the top handle (where the advanced shoe and the recording controls are?) For some reason, are the zooming controls on the top handle SLOWER than the regular side grip where you use your thumb if you're handhelding it? I don't know if its just my camcorder or what, it also seems to be that I have to press a little harder than usual to zoom in/zoom out than the side grip.

Maybe I have to do something in the zooming controls? But, arent the handle and grip zooming rate the same? So if the grip is moderately fast, shouldn't the handle be too? Or are there two different sets of controls for each handle/grip?
David Ho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2004, 08:40 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Hi David,

I don't own one, but I thought I read somewhere that you can set the zoom speeds independently of each other. I believe it is a setting in the menu somewhere.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.
Old January 3rd, 2004, 11:36 PM   #3
Major Player

zooms

Ah!

But I have had some funnies (NOT) recently where I set the handle and grip zooms at different levels as it makes the shoot easier. I can zoom in "quick" (in autofocus) change to manual focus then zoom out at "low" speed"

The top handle zoom is set for Fast and sometimes it just does not work, other times it is OK.

I plan to look into this further over the next few days.
Old January 4th, 2004, 08:18 AM   #4
Tourist

On the GL2, the zoom control on the side is variable speed, the top one is not. The top can be set to slow, medium, or fast via the menu as you have discovered. There is also a "lock" button on the side of the handle to disable the top controls.

Maybe you had accidentally moved this button so the controls didn't work?
Rainer Halonen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2004, 08:25 AM   #5
Major Player

I'm not saying the controls don't work on the handle. They are just HARD to press down and slow.
David Ho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2004, 10:31 AM   #6
Major Player

Lock?

Thanks Rainer, will check this and reply later.
Old January 4th, 2004, 12:21 PM   #7
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Yes, David, the handle zoom rocker is harder to press than the main zoom rocker. I suspect that this is by design, given the location of this rocker.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2004, 04:14 AM   #8
Major Player

Lock

Rainer,

You are a star, the lock was in place :(

I came unstuck at the very end of a wedding on Friday and no time to look into the prob, I will however learn by this subtle mistake in the future.

HAPPY New year to you :)
Old January 5th, 2004, 04:18 AM   #9
Old Boot

Alan, it's very easy to knock forward the lock. Done this several times. I feel that the actual lock needs a more positive lock/click - yeah?

Grazie
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders