Cheap & effective way to stabilize video w/ the GL2? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old January 5th, 2004, 02:28 AM   #1
Major Player

Cheap & effective way to stabilize video w/ the GL2?

I was looking for a cheap and effective way to have that sort of steadicam-type of movement. I've looked at the Steady Stick which is used for the GL2/XL1S. I want something that I can hold onto but also move 360 or 180 in a pattern (I've seen people hold onto these kind of sticks and walk and produce smooth movements. The sticks I am talking about are the ones that you can hold onto instead of them attatching to you)). I've also seen one of my friends using a cheap imitation stick which probably costed like $20, but worked very well. It almost resembled to the stuff they use to make house pipes!
Old January 5th, 2004, 03:00 AM   #2
Old Boot

Hiyah David!. .welcome to the world of steady camera shooting . . before getting busy with the technically bits of hardware out there, try some of the tried and tested Old Style camera work. - I've had too!

First off I haven't found the XM2 OIS effective . . I don't know why, I don't know if I'm asking too much of the OIS, but, putting it bluntly, I leave it on and if it is having an effect all well and good, but I don't rely on it. Okay, I've found that I can't keep things steady more than 1/3 zoomed in - I move closer to the subject - yeah it's a pain, but that's what I do. I try and lock myself to a wall or tree or better still put it on a tripod. I don't use zooms and pans UNLESS there is a very real reason to do this. And if this is the case. onto a tripod I go! If I use zooms and pans to get to the framing I'm after, these get cut out in post. Holding the cammie in a firm but "light" way is what I'm experimenting with at the moment. Yes, extending the "angle of effect" by fixing on devices and weights to stabilize is the way to go, but only after you've experimented with getting some real world basic cameraman techniques under your belt . . . .

If you want to see some . .interesting methods for stabilizing try these . . go knock yourself out . . .

http://homebuiltstabilizers.com/

Any good?

Grazie
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2004, 04:21 AM   #3
Major Player

I want to know if there is way where I can move and do smooth 360s or 180s movement maintaining a super stable image, similar to a steadicam used for fight sequences & such.
Old January 5th, 2004, 04:23 AM   #4
Major Player

Grazie,

A few very good tips there!

I totally agree about the zooms etc and cutting out in post, I have just got to get better with the basic footage techniques and that OIS with the XM2.

I think a Camera Craft course is due to be programmed in the near future (IoV) ;)
Old January 5th, 2004, 08:10 AM   #5
Major Player

Well some tripods can be used as a sort of steady cam type of device a bit like some of the sticks you've probably seen, if it has a center post you can grab on to and it is light enough. You grab the tripod at the center of gravity so there is equal weight on the top and bottom of the spot you are grabing. It balances and stabilizes you movement a bit like a device made to do it. You can play with opening the legs or adjusting the height of the center post if it is adjustable or whatever to get a balance that works well. If you have an old cheap velbon that might be something to try. I'v been using the Flowpod with my GL2 and you can get some good 360's with it with some practice. You could also try the a Steadicam. Of course the Flowpod and Steadicam are not free so try the tripod trick first.
Rob Easler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2004, 08:34 AM   #6
Major Player

I used to remove the center "stick" of my tripod, and attached a weight to the bottom to do the "stickpod" thing Rob mentioned.
I think it works pretty well for a free thing...

I also sometimes attach the camera backwards to the tripod head.. and use the same center stick with the weight at the end as a shoulder support (I like that better when there is not much fast walking, but like all thing you have to learn how to walk with it).

And if the shot in not too high... (or my subject is short or lower than me) I attach the strap of the XM2 and move the camera hanging from it... It works really good too, once you get the hang of it. Specially in short slow travellings...

Ok, so these are not steadycams but they did their job when needed...

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders