Difference between Multi-coated/resistant filters & not? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old January 7th, 2004, 11:48 AM   #1
Major Player

Difference between Multi-coated/resistant filters & not?

I am planning to buy a B+W 58mm 010 UV Glass Filter for my GL2. There are two choices which include a (MRC) Multi-resistant coating and a non-MRC one which is cheaper. Any advantages in the MRC? (as it costs $15 more, but I would probably pay it if it is better)
Old January 7th, 2004, 12:39 PM   #2
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

In my experience filters with better coatings help to minimize internal reflections (ie. between the lens and the filter) when shooting in low light. In these circumstances a bright point source light can sometimes cause these mysterious reflections, sometimes called "fireflies". Nothing short of removing all filters will completely eliminate them but good filter coatings can greatly help to reduce them.

Just my anecdotal thoughts.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2004, 10:57 AM   #3
Major Player

The downside to caoted filters is that some of the coatings are sensitive to salt spray (it can ruin the filter). I use non-coated in ocean environments and coated elsewhere. Better to ruin a filter than a lens!
Jeff Price is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders