independent filming at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old January 16th, 2004, 12:18 AM   #1
Tourist

independent filming

Im hoping to make an independent film sometime in the next year but im not sure what cam to use, of course the budget is an issue (like all indie films) so id like the get the most bang for the buck. Is the GL2 a good option? I like some of the samples i have seen from the dvx100 but it is about a thousand dollars more than the gl2? Is the gl2 the best deal? Would it be right for the project at hand? By the way i hope to make an indepedent horror movie, so there will be some dimly lit scenes. Any tips will help.

thanks.
Shane Slack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2004, 12:27 AM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

Hi Shane,

Rest assured that the GL2 is more than adequate for what you want to do. Concentrate on developing your story, learning how to light a scene effectively, how to motivate your actors... these will be the primary challenges you face. Camcorder selection is a fairly minor detail in comparison. There's a wealth of information not only in this forum but across the entire message board... you're in the right place, so dig in! Welcome aboard,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2004, 12:32 AM   #3
Tourist

wow that was the fastest reply ever! Thanks for the support! I know there will be tons of hurdles but the first thing Im really concered about is how the quality will look. I know there are a few post tweeks i can do to make it look more like film but if the camera is crap then it cant be helped to much. But if its good like you say it is, then i will go for it. Unless you think i should wait for the next line to come out (hopefully in a few months). Anyway thanks for the quick reply! Im gonna go diggin' now.
Shane Slack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2004, 04:53 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Shane,

I absolutely agree with Chris,
'Camcorder selection is a fairly minor detail in comparison' to all the things You (and I!!!) have to learn before getting 100% out of ANY good camera. I say this as a non expert.
the only suggestion i feel like giving you is that you might think about getting the PAL xm2 version of the gl2, for the frame rate of 25fps in movie mode.
Have a good time
Pietro
Pietro Jona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2004, 05:57 AM   #5
RED Code Chef

The basic picture quality will be good enough. People will forgive
a "sub-par" picture if the story and acting is top notch! Content
is king! Yes, a good picture will help. But good audio / music will
help more for example (AFTER the story / acting etc.).

Basically to get the best quality from your camera without regard
to everything else is to shoot in full manual and learn what
every control does and how you should use it (experience).

Good luck!

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders