DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   XM2 reliability and ruggedness (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-gl-series-dv-camcorders/20140-xm2-reliability-ruggedness.html)

Justin Boyle January 21st, 2004 04:10 AM

XM2 reliability and ruggedness

I'm new to this forum usually in pana forums however my dad is interested in buying an XM2 and pretty much has his mind made up for the fact that it has a large lense. he films birds and wildlife etc. I have confidence that the camera will excel in all aspects however he used to own the old old ex1 camera. it was only single chip but had a great lense and was good at the time. The biggest problem with this camera was that it had technical problems and always needed servicing. we know of other people that kept getting the same problems and would have to get the camera serviced at least once a year. do canon have there act together and are the reliable. If there are any complaints what are they? Thanks for your help. also if by chance does anyone know anything about the JVC KY-25 broadcast camera from the early nineties and will the XM2 take as good footage,

Thanks
Justin

Graham Bernard January 21st, 2004 04:31 AM

Hmmm... I guess you aren't going to get an unbiased respnse here, it being a Canon XM2 ans GL2 forum. However, trying do a search on anything like "repair" or "tape rewind" or "service" or warranty and read the posts . . . My personal expereince is that I had to send my XM2 back into the Canon garage with 1 month left on the warranty. Problem? Pixels on playback. Others have had "other" issues. I'm also not convinced of the Optical Image Stabiliser. I chedcked out a brand new one at the place aI sent my XM2 back for repairs, and the salesman too wasn't "won-over" by the OIS. Sony, IMHO, have got this bolted down. Canon, I'm not so sure . .

However, and this is a big however, the cammie does excel in many departments. The price is remarkable for a 3 chipper and it does have a 20x zoom for getting those really long framed zooms needed for longish distance. It's bigger brother only has a 16x zoom. Other Sony equivs have something less than the 20x zoom. There is no doubt that the ppicture quality in daylight - again fr the price - is amazing - really it is. As to the built quality, there are more rugged 3 chiipers out there - but they cost more.

Sorry to be on the fence on this one . . but what do you expect . .

Grazie

Frank Granovski January 21st, 2004 04:50 AM

All cameras may come with or develop problems. In fact, any consumer electronic device may come with or develop problems. You buy it, and take a chance. Hopefully, you won't develop a problem for a long time. However, eventually something will go wrong, like with a VCR, a TV or even a car. If your dad wants this cam to last and last, perhaps talk him into getting a Canon extended warranty. But then again, why bother. Most problems occur shortly after use.

David Ho January 21st, 2004 04:53 AM

Whats the deal with Canon's OIS I keep hearing? Does it produce errors or not as good as Sony's?

Graham Bernard January 21st, 2004 05:00 AM

Frank, you may want to edit your "Hopefully, you develop a problem for a long time. " . . only showing that I do read these posts . . aha?

The OIS on my XM2 really doesn't appear to be as good as an equiv of a friend's Sony. As I said, I checked out the OIS on a brand new XM2 and the salesman also saw the "wobbles" . . I really need to be gentle when holding the cammie OR get it onto a tripod. I've shot a lot of event stuff, weddings and parades and community work - I'm just very aware I can't be as carefree as my friend with his Sony. David, go and soot some stuff . . please ;-)

Regards,

Grazie

Frank Granovski January 21st, 2004 05:15 AM

That's what I get with posting at 3:00 am.

Graham Bernard January 21st, 2004 05:34 AM

Yeah . . have you seen my spelling? - Dreadful! AHA!

Grazie

Frank Granovski January 21st, 2004 05:38 AM

Quote:

Whats the deal with Canon's OIS I keep hearing? Does it produce errors or not as good as Sony's?
Where are you hearing this? From Sony? Sony uses Canon's OIS technology, by the way. This should answer your question, David.

Justin Boyle January 22nd, 2004 04:39 AM

frank. i must say you spend a hell of a lot of time in these forums. its good to get responses from you. I get responses from every forum i subscribe to. It seems that you spend a lot of time researching cameras thats great. anyway i have found another camera and i was wondering if you new anything about it frank. it is a panasonic aj ez1 3ccd mini dv camera. i can get it for 1300aus$ in the newspaper second hand. would it be as good as the xm2 regardless of price difference

Justin Boyle January 22nd, 2004 04:41 AM

frank just another do you know specs of this camera of course it will be pal. thanks. where can i find some info on it
Justin

Frank Granovski January 22nd, 2004 06:05 AM

I used to know the specs, but I can't recall them off hand. I used to shoot instructional videos with a EZ1, about 300 hours worth. Another friend of mine also owned one.

It's a very solid cam, black of course. I have a pic of it on my computer too.

It has 3, 1/3" CCDs. The pixel count is low, with video effective pixels being around 250 or 270K for the NTSC version.

The lens is very large (wide), and it has a large viewfinder. There is no DV-in or out, from what I recall, and it comes with a docking station (from what I recall, because I also used another early Pana miniDV cam, years ago, and I recall using the docking station to dub in audio).

The video quality is very good, but a bit "noisy." Also, the LUX requirements is very low.

The build of the cam is heavy and solid though small.

I'm not sure where there might be more info on it on the web; perhaps try using google.com using the keywords: Panasonic AG-EZ1 or AG-EZ10.

John Beale might have some info on his site, perhaps there might be a link at adamwilt.com. Supervideo used to have info as well, but I don't know if it's still up.

For links to those sites and others, visit my miniDV links page: http://www.dvfreak.com/links.htm

Cosmin Rotaru January 22nd, 2004 07:50 AM

"Whats the deal with Canon's OIS? "

I'm really impressed as how GOOD it works! I don't know about the SONY, but I really like the OIS on my XM2!

Graham Bernard January 22nd, 2004 08:24 AM

Cosmin - I'm very glad for you. For me it doesn't work . . . period!

Grazie