Thinking strongly about a GL2, but... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old January 22nd, 2004, 05:38 PM   #1
New Boot

Thinking strongly about a GL2, but...

Hey what’s up guys,

I got a quick question. Before I put down 2k on a camera (which is a lot for a poor college student) I would like to get my hands on it and make sure I like the way it feels, looks, performs, etc.

This is a problem because I am going to school in the booming metropolis of DAYTON, OHIO (whoo hoo!)

I have looked around but can find no one who caries 3CCD cams. Does anyone by ANY CHANCE know of a store in or around the Dayton/Cleveland area would I would be able to even hold a GL2?

Thanks
-Rusty
Rusty Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2004, 05:48 PM   #2
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Hello Rusty,

Here's a list of Canon dealers in, or near, the Dayton area. It's unlikely that they all carry the GL2 but it's just as unlikely that none of them do. Dial 'n smile!

I hope this is helpful to you.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2004, 08:23 PM   #3
Tourist

Just come 30 miles south (cincinnati) "MicroCenter" rigtht off 275/Mosteller rd. has them.
Rick Bryant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2004, 09:39 PM   #4
Outer Circle

Quote:
make sure I like the way it feels, looks, performs, etc.
Everything is good about this cam: easy to hold/ operate with easy to use manual controls. It's video quality is rich and sharp.
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2004, 12:58 AM   #5
Old Boot

OIS

. . make sure you are happy with its OIS . . treat it with respect . .as with other cammies . . don't mix tape brands . . . consider an extended warranty . . . think carefully about the low light filming you are gonna do . . create a really good customer relationship with the dealer . . .

. . oh yeah . . have fun!

Grazie

. . did I mention the OIS?
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2004, 03:07 AM   #6
Regular Crew

I've had my GL2 about a year- I wouldn't "leave home without it"- it's awesome!
Old January 23rd, 2004, 09:58 AM   #7
Regular Crew

see if you have a mac store in the aera cause there is one here in the mall and they have a gl2
Joel Ruggiero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2004, 11:18 AM   #8
Major Player

re: Low Light

I'm happy overall with my GL2 and have become quite fond of the 20x optical zoom.

I had not thought much about low light because most of the shooting I do is either outside during the day or under lights. However, at Christmas 2002 I shot some footage at a friends house, something I'd done before with my Sony TRV8. Then I set aside the tapes and forgot about them until this year, when my wife asked me to make a short video as a gift to those friends.

I could not believe my eyes, and it has permanently changed my outlook. The GL2 footage was dark, dark, dark. Faces in a group could not be distinguished. By contrast, the TRV8's footage was just fine.

At the time I bought the GL2, the other option was the Sony VX2000. I don't regret the purchase of the GL2, especially because of its good audio capabilities, but I don't think I'll buy Canon again. Sony really does have a lock on low light.

Will
Will Fastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2004, 12:40 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Rusty-

I live in Dayton. I use my GL2 for my web site for UD sports. If you want some advice, let me know.
http://www.udpride.com
Chris Rieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2004, 04:17 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Yea vdx 200 is better in low light, but costs over £1000 more so one should expect so!
Re Will, it must have been a prettey dark room? Or maybe you never had the indoor white ballance selected?
Re George & Lyndon Every time i play with my manual settings, and achive best picture, if i flip back to auto, the settings are the same. Im really trying to see the big advantage with manual mode, and i suppose ive learnt a little in the process, but auto seems to get it right every time?! As for the settings lyndon suggested, they are good indoors, although better with db setting of 18, which the auto mode had selected. I tried changing in manual, and there was no effect on grain at all, there was no grain, just the picture was darker with a lower gain. I can get a good picture with a shutter rate of 1/50 as a minimum indoors where i'm at now. I read these pages hoping to learn, but am still finding this auto mode gets it right most of time, and its just white ballance i need to adjust occasionally. Maybe these cameras are different? Im using a pal version, here in the UK. But maybe there is a variation in quality between cameras of the same model? Im fairly sure people have discussed this else where. Would be interesting to see how a load of xm/gm2's fared against each other!
(Anyone going to the video forum in London next week? info here, is free entry too!
www.videoforum.co.uk/indexVisitor.php)
Old January 24th, 2004, 04:20 PM   #11
Warden

Ritz Camera in Cincinnati (Rookwood Store) and Pete's PhotoWorld (6 or 7 locations) also has them.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2004, 01:01 AM   #12
Regular Crew

I live in Gates Mills Ohio, 20 minutes from cleveland if you want, you can try mine out in my home...

Let me know
Joe Cirino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2004, 12:23 AM   #13
Old Boot

Alan and Vid forum

Alan . .are you going to film the video forum . . OR are you going to the video forum . . ?

Anyways, we ARE going to meet up - yeah?

WHich of the Smeinars are you attending? Hard eh?

Grazie
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2004, 01:25 AM   #14
Major Player

OT

Grazie,

I am going to the Video Forum on the Tuesday at the moment.

I will email/contact you direct, have been meaning to do so.

Not looked at the seminar schedule too closely just yet.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders