DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   GL-2 Rebate check?? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-gl-series-dv-camcorders/20417-gl-2-rebate-check.html)

John Dimasi January 26th, 2004 08:58 PM

GL-2 Rebate check??

Has anybody received their rebate check from Canon yet. My request was received on November 1st 2003 by rebateshq.com. It's now January 26, 2004 and I've yet to receive it! They said allow 8 weeks. Well I think it's well beyond 8 weeks. Does anybody know how you can actually contact these people to find out what's wrong?

John Dimasi January 26th, 2004 09:12 PM

I think I solved my question on how to contact the rebate people. I found an email address. But why does it take so long to get a rebate of this amount back?

Bryan McCullough January 26th, 2004 09:19 PM

I just got an email today saying my rebate had been approved.

I only mailed it a couple weeks ago.

Who knows when the actual check will arrive.

Calvin Chang January 26th, 2004 10:10 PM

I'm also waiting for my check.
I received an e-mail notice saying that it's in final stages of processing.
My rebate receice date is 11-17-2003.

Calvin Chang January 26th, 2004 10:16 PM

I'm also waiting for my check.
I received an e-mail notice saying that it's in final stages of processing.
My rebate receice date is 11-17-2003.

Sean Doherty January 27th, 2004 01:38 AM

Mine was accepted last september, and I still haven't gotten my check. I have called and e-mailed and each time they have said 6-8 weeks. Well it's been over 16 weeks!! Is there something else I need to do?

George Brackett III January 27th, 2004 04:13 AM

This is exactly why I don't buy anything with a mail-in rebate. It's just another scam, and I guess Canon's just as bad as the rest

Joseph Lawrence January 27th, 2004 05:49 AM

<<<-- Originally posted by George Brackett III : This is exactly why I don't buy anything with a mail-in rebate. It's just another scam, and I guess Canon's just as bad as the rest -->>>

I received my camera in mid-September, submitted the rebate immediately and received a check from Canon in time to buy
a Beachtek adapter before Christmas. It took 10 weeks, but the
check did arrive.

Joseph

Chris Hurd January 27th, 2004 10:19 AM

It's not a scam, you will get a check. Eventually. They're just late, like everything else.

Arthur Babcock January 27th, 2004 10:49 AM

My rebate check was "in the final stages of processing" for about 2 months, but it finally came.

Arthur Babcock

Jason Casey January 27th, 2004 01:48 PM

...also it's not Canon's fault that you haven't gotten your check. They use outside people to process their rebates. That is the problem, they handle millions of diffrent rebates from diffrent companies. I believe it is RebatesHQ that is handling the Canon ones. I got my rebate in just about 8 weeks after I sent it in.

Chris Rieman January 27th, 2004 05:48 PM

Canon GL2 rebate/Wheres mine?

Sort of a problem fellas. I sent in my rebate and got my confirmation email that it was received and approved and in the process of being created and sent to me. I sent the rebate just before the cutoff date for the initial rebate offer at the end of september or october (whenever it was). However since that time I have not received my rebate yet and unfortunately my MS Outlook crashed on me and I cannot get to the confirmation email.

Wasnt it like rebatecentral.com or something of this ilk? Is there a number I can call to see where my rebate is? Again, problem is, the confirmation email is held hostage in my MS Outlook which I can no longer open.

Anybody who sent their rebate in just before the deadline get theirs yet?

Help.

Gints Klimanis January 27th, 2004 06:32 PM

The wait period for rebates has several factors, but it rots to have to wait and worry. Instant rebates are my favorite. One reason for the long wait with the problem when the rebate is issued but the merchandise is returned. So, the rebate issue interval must exceed the cash-return policy of the store. Rebates are usually limited to one per person so that clever consumers can't earn money from rebates on merchandize which is finally returned. Another reason is that companies want to bunch expenses to tweak quarterly results or at least defer debt.
While you are waiting for your rebate, someone is earning money by "floating" your money.

George Brackett III January 28th, 2004 04:02 AM

Do you know why they use rebates?

1- They get to use your money for free (sort of like a no-interest loan, with no set payback period)

2- A lot of people, for one reason or another, never send in the paperwork

3- Often the check is disguised in a "junk mail" format, so it might get tossed.

Bottom line- I don't care if it's Canon- it's still a scam!

Chris Rieman January 28th, 2004 11:17 AM

Good comments all around. That said, can anyone address my questions? Thanks.