DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   Can remote be used to adjust exposure in GL2? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-gl-series-dv-camcorders/20661-can-remote-used-adjust-exposure-gl2.html)

James French January 31st, 2004 11:49 AM

Can remote be used to adjust exposure in GL2?

Anyone know if I there is any way I can use the wireless remote to change the exposure lock values, +1, -1, and so on, or to control F number, remotely, to lighten and darken the image. I am using the GL2 to transfer video in a Workprinter, and it would sure be nice.

Ken Tanaka January 31st, 2004 12:15 PM

I am confused. Are you copying an already-recorded DV tape to another device or are you capturing footage through the camera to another device (work printer)?

James French January 31st, 2004 01:03 PM

Sorry for the confusion, am capturing 8mm film thru the workprinter, to the GL2, then thru firewire to computer, and frame capture, at 8 fps. These are movies from the 1950s, and differ widely in exposure. I am using the zebra set at 100%, but need to change the exposure lock setting frequently. Touching the camera is not a good idea, as it moves the precise set up, so it would be great to use the remote.

Graham Bernard January 31st, 2004 01:22 PM

. .let me get a handle on this . .you've got a device that allows you to film some type of screen " . . . capturing 8mm film thru the workprinter, to the GL2, " I'm not familiar with this WorkPrinter thingy .. I'm assuming you can actually "see" the stuff you are capturing into the cammie - yeah? You say capturing thru, which makes me think this process is "within" the cammie . . but maybe you are seeing the film, eg you say over-exposed . . . Okay, I wanted to clear this up. What ever you could or could get in the cammie at this point will be determined by the available "detail" that the cammie can see . yeah? Okay . . have you thought about leaving the whole shibang on auto? Let the cammie take the stuff where it can? Problem here is that it wont react as fast as you want it too? Well, maybe you need to make a judgement call . .if the stuff is too far gone, then maybe you should include it . .I've found auto exp is pretty quick to adjust. Where are you setting the fps to 8fps?

Sorry if this is all redundant stuff . . but I do like a problem I can get me teeth into . .

Grazie

James French January 31st, 2004 01:44 PM

> I'm assuming you can actually "see" the >stuff you are capturing into the cammie - >yeah?

Yes. The 8mm projector is set at 8fps, can not change that. The DodCap program captures it and then does pu.ldown at 15fps.

>leave on auto

tried that, and get a lot of cutoff--this old Kodachrome has a lot of exposure latitude. Using the manual exposure works well, solves the problem pretty much.

Ken Tanaka January 31st, 2004 01:48 PM

I see. So you are basically "shooting" the 8mm movies as they are being projected. That is, the footage is being sent through the GL2's lens to tape and Firewire.

No, although you can use the wireless remote to change various menu settings it cannot be used to manage your exposure settings while shooting. Nor can any other remote controller that I know of.

James French January 31st, 2004 02:07 PM

Thanks very much, so that's the answer. I will quit trying to figure out a way!

Ken Tanaka January 31st, 2004 07:58 PM

James,
This is one of those situations in which I would be inclined to experiment with Av (Aperture Value) program mode for automatic exposure. I am not familiar with the specifics of transcribing 24fps film but I would be disinclined to try Tv (Time (shutter) Value) due to its potential conflict with the frame rate of the film.

Good luck and let us know how you ultimately deal with this problem. I am sure there are quite a few people who are interested in transferring old movies to video for themselves if possible.

James French January 31st, 2004 09:05 PM

Adjusting by hand does not seem to be all that much of a problem, so far. Thanks, for the info.

<<<-- Originally posted by Ken Tanaka : James,

Good luck and let us know how you ultimately deal with this problem. I am sure there are quite a few people who are interested in transferring old movies to video for themselves if possible. -->>>

Don Palomaki February 1st, 2004 07:23 AM

Of camera movement is an issue, try lock it down to a more stable surface. Question, will viewers be able to tell that movement from the typical 8mm hand handshake?

James French February 1st, 2004 07:33 AM

Camera is mounted on a tripod and seems to be holding stable. Have done two 400 foot rolls with the GL2 using the exposure lock adjustment while it is running. Sort of getting a feel for how the color looks with various levels, in relation to the zebra, set at 100.

Tried a 1 chip camcorder before, and had problems with the color and cutoff in the bright areas, could not control, looked really bad. It was obvious how much better the GL2 was right away.

Slight shifts in some aspect of the film from roll to roll are a bit more of a problem, so the edge of the frame becomes visible. Some people would not mind that but most would, probably.