Audio Troubles: No audio via GL2 speaker at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old February 1st, 2004, 02:29 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Audio Troubles: No audio via GL2 speaker

Hey Guys,
Recently while reviewing a dv tape in my GL2 I noticed that I couldn't hear the audio through the internal speaker. When I plugged my headphones in I could hear the audio. The audio switch is set on manual and I turned the volume up using the dial on the back. Could I have somehow inadvertiently turned the speaker off while making some changes in the menu? Is searched the menu, but didn't see an option for turning the speaker off. Please help.

Thanks

Albert Rodgers
Old February 1st, 2004, 04:41 AM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

From page 89 of the GL2 operator's manual:

Use the speaker or headphones when using the LCD screen for playback, and use headphones when using the viewfinder. Adjust the speaker and headphone volume by pulling the SELECT dial up or down.

• Pull the SELECT dial up to increase the volume, and down to decrease the volume.

• You can turn off the volume completely by pulling the SELECT dial down until OFF appears.

• You can also adjust the headphone volume separately from the built-in speaker.

• The levels you adjust for the built-in speaker and headphones are memorized separately. The camcorder retains the levels even if you slide the POWER switch to OFF.

Notes:

• The speaker turns off when you use headphones.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2004, 02:59 PM   #3
Regular Crew

(Without the headphones plugged in )

I have increase the volume for the speaker using the select dial. This action appears on the LCD, but there is no audio from the built-in speaker.

I have check to make sure there is audio during playback by confirmation through the head phones.

Also when I playback (without phones) the LCD indicate that there is audio in both L/R channels. Again I have tried to increase the audio for the built-in speaker, The speaker adjustment indicator appears; and I adj. turn the + but there is no audio.

Maybe GL2 is malfunctioning and I need it serviced. The cam is least than 1 year old and has no more than 30 work hours on it.

Thanks again.

Albert Rodgers
Old February 2nd, 2004, 12:46 PM   #4
Major Player

Hi Albert.
I ran in to a problem exactly like what you are experiencing a while back. Whenever I used my shotgun mic, everything would record fine (levels, sound in the headphones) but the speaker just wouldn't work. Everyone was baffled, but I finally found a fix for the problem. Here are a couple posts where I describe everything. Hopefully they will help.

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...ighlight=audio

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...ighlight=audio

I've only read of one other person running into this problem, and that was on the Apple Final Cut Pro forum. I never thought it was a problem with my camera, just my cable. If its the camera, I would like to get it repaired, so let me know how it goes with yours.
Old February 5th, 2004, 01:20 AM   #5
Major Player

In order to listen to it correctly thru the GL2 speaker, you must go into the menu and set audio to left or right, not stereo. This at least works for me. Not sure why it does this....it's kinda stupid, but at least I found a makeshift fix.

I think basically the Shotgun turns the hi-fi into mono-fi and something happens to the audio monitoring system....who knows.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders