rough weekend in the snow! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old February 2nd, 2004, 03:08 PM   #1
Regular Crew

rough weekend in the snow!

Shooting with new GL2 disabled children skiing again last weekend. It was really difficult. Snowing very hard, and pretty cold. Lots of moisture. Many frozen snowflakes on the uv filter. Tucked camera in my jacket on charlift up to protect the camera some from the elements, then drops of water (melted snowflakes) and some condensation on filter. Occasionally condensation on filter and on lens. Couldn't see squat in LCD with water, condensation, goggles etc. Must have been zooming inadvertently with back of hand on the camera zoom control with the gloves on, cause several of the shots were telephotoed in despite starting in wideangle. Pretty much a misrable day.

I did a search on rain protectors and porta brace products. Does anyone have experience with these devices in snow. Since I'm moving no way to keep snowflakes from landing on lens, and I could not see anything in the LCD without another layer over it. Have been shooting by using the controls on the handle, viewfinder very difficult while skiing.

The camera seemed to perform very well despite the fact that it was cold, wet and must have had condensation inside in addition to what I could see.
Old February 2nd, 2004, 04:11 PM   #2
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

This thread may be of interest to you.

Honestly, it's best not to shoot at all when it's snowing, particularly if you're on the move. The lens will just get trashed with water. Nothing will protect it very well in such conditions. You might try using an lcd hood for your flip-out but I doubt that it will do much good. The viewfinder will quickly fog with condensation from your eye.

These are just plain tough conditions for everyone.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2004, 04:16 PM   #3
Major Player

Frank,

Tucking the cam in your jacket on the way up might have hurt more than helped. While it's inside your jacket, you're warming the whole thing up. If you had just covered it with something but left it exposed to the cold, snow wouldn't melt when it hit your lens/lcd (assuming it's below 32 outside) and you wouldn't have had condensation problems because the cam/lens would have stayed acclimated to the outdoor temp.
Rob Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2004, 04:56 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Thanks Ken, I have already read that thread. And you are absolutely correct about shooting in the snow, I finally quit!
Unfortunately I am trying to capture video of skiers and it snows.

Rob I did realize what would happen putting the camera inside my jacket but it was snowing sooo hard, and as the snow melting on my new GL2 it was getting really wet, plus snow was building up on the lens (filter) really fast!. Putting some sort of cover over the camera is a good idea, maybe a small gore-tex cloth sheath I could make with some velcro just to keep the snow off the camera and lens while on the chair lift.

Thanks, any feedback or suggestions from anyone else would be really appreciated.
Old February 2nd, 2004, 09:58 PM   #5
Regular Crew

frank alls i have to say is your crazy for taking it out in the cond. i would never want to risk it
Joel Ruggiero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2004, 11:24 PM   #6
Regular Crew

I haven't used my GL2 in those kinds of conditions, but I have used my Digital8 in them back in Alaska. I kept it wrapped in a towel and carried it around in a backpack. Then I'd get it out when I was ready to do a shot and tried to keep it wrapped up as best I could in the towel. It seemed to work alright keeping the snow off. And I don't remember haveing the condensation problem but the temperature was right around freezing then.

Cheers,
Brian
Brian Huey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2004, 11:54 PM   #7
Wrangler

Hmmm...snow...freezing....no, sorry, not following you.

PERSONAL STATS:
New England resident: 25 yrs
So. California resident: 7 yrs
Short-term weather memory cache: 7 yrs

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders