DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   GL2 Halos (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-gl-series-dv-camcorders/20780-gl2-halos.html)

Howard Meyer February 3rd, 2004 08:27 AM

GL2 Halos

I offered to record a senior citizens exercise class on my new GL2 so that a DVD could be made for each member. When I looked at the tape, I noticed a small tight band (or fringe or halo) of white light around the instructor. She was dressed in black and the background was a light gray. Since I have only had the camera since December, I don't have a lot of footage but this is the only place I have seen this effect. I called Canon and they refused to look at the tape saying I would have to send the entire camera back.
Has anyone else seen the condition?
Its something I can live with but hardly what I expected to see from the GL2 after reading all the good reviews.

Ken Tanaka February 3rd, 2004 12:46 PM

What, if anything, did you have on the lens? A filter? An accessory of any kind? Where are you observing this "halo"? While playing the tape on the camera? On a television? On the final DVD?

Your description suggests that you might have your "Sharpness" set too high. But without at least a still image it's impossible to diagnose simply from your description.

Howard Meyer February 3rd, 2004 05:55 PM

The only thing in front of the lens was a UV filter. The sharpness was set just on the soft side of the midpoint. It was played from the GL2 into a 19" TV using the provided cable and the AV terminal. A Maxell DVM60SE tape was used and initally recorded in the LP mode. After seeing the fringe it was re-recorded in the SP mode. The results (and quality) were identical.
The camera was tripod mounted; manual focus was used; image stabilizer was turned off; white balance was made on an 18% gray card and a -1 exposure adjustment was made.
To further define the problem, the fringe/halo does not appear everywhere. I did not notice it until I happened to capture a black object against a light gray or biege wall. The average viewer might not even notice the problem but now that I have seen it, its as bad as a paper cut.

Ken Tanaka February 3rd, 2004 08:19 PM

This is a mystery to me, Howard. I don't anything unusual with your technique whatsoever. I have never observed such a phenomenon with my GL2. Nor do I recall anyone ever mentioning such an issue here.

If it's really distracting it might be worth sending the camera to Canon for a check-out (along with a sample tape). It certainly does not sound normal.

Joel Ruggiero February 3rd, 2004 10:06 PM

was there a lighr behind the person ?? cause i seen some thing a little simalr with a 1ccd cam with a light behind the subject or maybe it is haunted or something!

Howard Meyer February 4th, 2004 12:47 PM

There was no light behind the person-just a light colored wall about 15' away. This was in a meeting room with a very high ceiling- maybe 20'- and the only lights were the florescents in the ceiling.
After rerunning the tape again, I can make these additional comments. This halo appears at the interface of a light and dark object but is always lighter than either. It is only a few pixels wide. When viewing the picture on a TV screen, the blue shirt on the instructor exhibited a subtle smearing -towards the right only-across the exposed skin of the arm.
If these effects sound foreign to other users of the GL2, it may be time for a trip to the repair shop.

Andrew Hogan February 4th, 2004 03:46 PM

Have you tried it on another TV?

Howard Meyer February 4th, 2004 06:07 PM

This phenomena has been observed on a 19" CRT TV as well as a 50" rear projection TV.

Frank Granovski February 4th, 2004 06:34 PM

Howard, shoot some test footage here and there to see if you get more of these "halos." These halos could have happened because of poor videography techniques, poor cam setup/positioning, or worse, something indeed is not right with your cam. So do some test shots and then get back to us.

Howard Meyer February 7th, 2004 10:46 AM

I did shoot some additional footage with the same results. The problem was most vividly portrayed when I shot a lattice in the garden with the snow as a backdrop. Picture the dark lattice- a series of 2" wide criss-crossing wood strips against a bright ( hazy sun) snow background forming dozens of square holes with the snow visible through the holes. As I slowly zoomed in, the halo problem became visible. To eleminate any influence of my setting preferences, I shot- for the first time- in the Easy Recording mode.
What I recorded was a series of light (lighter than the snow) halos to the left of each wood strip and superimposed on the snow. To the right of the wood strips were halos with a yellow tint. There was no other yellow in the scene.
Reviewing the 4-5 other tapes I shot with this camera shows the same halos when a dark object overlays a lighter background.
Finally, the quality of the picture is better than those from my old Sony High 8 but certainly not the broadcast quality I had expected from all the GL2 reviews I read.

Geff Hinds July 13th, 2004 03:02 PM

halo - over-sharpening ( i believe)

good news: i also have a new GL2 and have expienced the exact same effect - most prominent on bright objects overlaying dark - OR VICE VERSA. eg: point your lens at a black bird silhouetted against a bright sky and you'll see that white "outline" around the bird. lettering on books or posters is (more subtly) the same.

bad news: i have also seen this "artifacting" -- to one degree or another - in every like piece of video taken by ANY camcorder. the new 3ccd Panasonic GS70 and it's big brother are both particularly guilty of this as well. it's no mystery -- in fact, it can easily be replicated even in a still photo using Photoshop to filter the image with "unsharp mask" (it's in the Filter/Sharpen pull-donw menu), Just watch - viola!

my only surprise here is the the surprise itself registered among other shooters - at least if they understand what (i think) you're describing.

this - i believe -- is a common (if not ubiquitous) result of the sharpening software usually "built-in" to camcorders imaging systems. fortunately, in the case of the GL2 and other like-featured units, the sharpness can be "dialed-back" to a largely acceptable (or nearly acceptable) degree. the "with/without" effect is easily observed even in the viewfinder: set your Custom Presets to include a minus- sharpen (all the way down) adjust and then click the CP button on and off again - there's obvious snapping with sharpness.

does this make sense? ring any more bells??

unless i'm wrong on this -- and i could be -- other than the "sharpness" adjust, i know of no other remedy......