EJECT message - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old March 3rd, 2004, 03:39 PM   #16
Regular Crew

<<<-- Originally posted by Colin Rayner : Must be a known problem if there is an dedicated entry in Canons troubleshooting list!!
http://alpha01.c-wss.com/wsss/ApplServlet?SV=WWUCA900
Check it out, nothing left to do but send it off for servicing. -->>>

The link takes me to Canon, but all I get is "Error Code"?

Update: Thanks Colin, I followed your instructions below and found the reference to eject problem. Although it doesn't say much more than "send to Canon Service" :(
Ming Dong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2004, 09:17 PM   #17
Regular Crew

OK Ming, go to http://www.canon.co.nz/products/cameras/cameras_video/xm2_support.aspx then get into the troubleshooting part and you will find 2 questions in the camera operation selection, one is if you are having battery problems, the other if you are having "videocassette related problems" click and the only answer they come up with is send in for servicing. Seems strange to me that under camera operation , there are only 2 types of problems and one of them is this cassette problem. Obviously it is a well documented problem within Canon.
I love my camera, it's just a real fly in the ointment.
Colin Rayner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2004, 05:43 PM   #18
Regular Crew

Ahhh Crap

My GL2 just gave me the "Remove the Cassette" and "Eject" message while fastforwarding a tape (I've only recorded on Panasonic 63PQs). I swapped in another tape and it was working then I switched back in the other one and it is working for now. But my one year warranty is up in less than a week!

Should I just send it in now since the problem could get worse?

Arrg, this happened a day after reading this thread!

Cheers,
Brian "Cursed by reading this thread" Huey
Brian Huey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2004, 08:11 PM   #19
Major Player

Definately send it in for service. I suspect Canon is applying a fix for this issue.
Bob Harotunian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2004, 12:53 AM   #20
Regular Crew

Thanks for the advice, I been reading some other threads I've been finding about tape transport issues and it looks like sending it in is the only solution.

Cheers,
Brian
Old March 5th, 2004, 01:41 AM   #21
Old Boot

You've had your cammie for nearly a year? You've been using it? Send it for a good going over . .

Maintenance is a good thing in any case. Look, all we got is the option to use the Tape Cleaning Tape and to treat the cammie with care. We don't have the option to tighten up screws - screws DO come loose, tell me about it!; re-align heads - we don't have the equipment to test for this; test to see if all the circutry is A-OK; options for running Test Bench reports . . . . of yes, I was forgetting, the cammie DOES comes with that 1 year warranty . . . yer wanna have something "fail" next week, AFTER your warranty runs out? Think what you'd have felt like if you hadn't used the Warranty Trump Card. . hmmmm? Think about that one! List everything that you "feel" needs attention . .then it's logged. If something should "fail" subsequently AND it was on your list . . . I don't know about you, but here in the UK we have a further 3 months cover on any "work" that is done through an authorised Canon dealer AND any work that is recurrent is also treated with much respect - yeah?

Hope this "nudge" has helped you . . Now, the only problem you will have - if you're anything like me - will be the loss and longing and irritation of not having the cammie in your hands - if it's going to be anything like my experience, the whole 28 day void in my life, while my cammie was in the Canon Garage, really made me NOT a nice person to be around ! ! HAH ! ! !

Regards,

Grazie
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2004, 01:49 AM   #22
Trustee

I had the "Remove the Cassette" and "Eject" message happening to me today. Started happening right after a show I did last night. When I took the camera out of the case to capture the footage I noticed the door was open, the tape holder was up but the holder door wasn't open. That's when it happened. Tried a few tapes but it still didn't work. Then I just opened and closed the thing a few times, without a tape in it, and it sorted it self out. Capturing quite happily now.

When it was problematic, I was noticed that the gear mechanism wasn't sounding smooth as usual when loading or unloading tapes. Very strange.

Aaron
Old March 5th, 2004, 01:59 AM   #23
Old Boot

True True True . . . Grazie
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2004, 12:27 PM   #24
Regular Crew

Any suggestions for other things to list besides the tape transport and heads?

Other then that the only issue that I can think of listing is the slight vignetting I get when zoomed out and the aperture is wide open.

The camcorder is getting sent in today, I hope I can stand up to the longing you described Gracie! I'm in the middle of doing a falconry training video with my uncle at the moment but we have his VX2000 so we'll be able to forge ahead with only one camera.

Cheers,
Brian
Old March 5th, 2004, 12:43 PM   #25
Trustee

Brian, list the vignetting if you can but I doubt you'll get much go on that one. I tried and they said it was normal. I never got to force the issue as I got busy with the camera, and then my warranty ran out :)

Aaron
Old March 9th, 2004, 11:44 AM   #26
New Boot

Look at the "Cannot FF/RW tapes in my GL2" thread.

I've had my camera back from service now for about 2 months and I just found another problem related to the eject message.

If I close the cassette compartment without a tape, say to store the camera indefinitely, the compartment will whine and whirl as it does with a tape, but then stop momentarily and then pop back up with the eject message. I would probably have never noticed this because I almost always put a tape in, which then it works fine.

I'm curious if those who got their cameras fixed with the idler gear problem now have this problem. I guess I'll be sending it back since it's still under warranty and who knows if it will get worse.

Thanks.
Old March 9th, 2004, 06:49 PM   #27
Major Player

Dirk,
I recently got both of my GL2s back from Canon for annual maintenance. They replaced the idler and drive gear assemblies without my request so I assume that was done for a recognized issue. I've used both cameras for several hours with no problems. I think it's not a bad idea to close the tape compartment by gently squeezing the lid and case together. I also wait for the motor to stop before closing the compartment. That's just my ounce of prevention or superstitition but no problems so far. I'd document the problem and send the camera back to Canon.
Bob
Bob Harotunian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2004, 03:44 PM   #28
Regular Crew

Just to let you all know, I got my camera back today, NZ$151.88,
10 days and I actually got to speak to a Tech at the Canon service centre, he would not tell me too much about the problem, but did admit that they are aware of the problem and are geared up to deal with it, i.e. the replacement parts in stock, hence the short turn around time, I guess they have done this type of repair before..........................
Fingers crossed I don't have any further problems.
Colin Rayner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2004, 04:32 PM   #29
Trustee

First, Hi Colin! Another New Zealander here that I didn't know about.

Second, a guy I know has just been having similar problems with his XL1s. He's sent his in for repair today - he'll be happy to know Canon is onto it.

Aaron
Old June 20th, 2004, 07:07 PM   #30
Tourist

bob
tried the closing & unclosing without a tape trick.no luck i'm afraid.
James Carty is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders