EJECT message at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old February 16th, 2004, 01:42 PM   #1
New Boot

EJECT message

I am getting the EJECT message again. This time the head cleaning did not seem to work. The camera is 4 days over the 1 year warranty period and I really don't want to have to send it back to Canon. Does anyone feel that changing the tape manufacturer will help? Recording operations are fine, just can't Rewind!

Thanks!
Phil von Kamecke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2004, 04:00 AM   #2
RED Code Chef

What tape brand are you using?

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2004, 04:00 AM   #3
Regular Crew

I having a similar problem after switching from sony to Panasonic tape, eject message and won't rewind. The camera actually ate one tape. I haven't tried switching back yet, as I would rather stick to the panasonic tapes if I can. If/when you sort things out keep us posted please.
Colin Rayner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2004, 04:37 AM   #4
Outer Circle

http://www.dvfreak.com/tape.htm

Cheap tape, mixing tape, and not protecting your cam from dust and dirt can dirty heads on any cam---from Sony cams to Pana cams to Canon cams.
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2004, 08:57 AM   #5
New Boot

Rob - I am using TDK tapes.

Colin - Ate one of mine also. Did you send it back?

Phil
Old February 17th, 2004, 04:38 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Haven't sent it back, as it's an intermittant fault and I am travelling/working away from where I bought it at the moment.
To help keep dust out I have been using electrical tape to seal up the tape door, so I don't think that dirt is the problem. The camera is virtually new (3 tapes thru it, a maxell, and 2 sonys), so all I can think is the change of tapes, the panasonics are the "dry" ones without the metal particles.
I am going to clean up the heads and then start over using only the panasonics and hopefully that will fix it.
Old February 18th, 2004, 12:32 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Just to let you know, I had the same problem, cam would not rewind or fast forward tapes, and it ate a few. Only tapes I've ever used are the Panasonic 63PQ prof's. Sent the cam back three days before the warranty ran out last year, seems to be fine now.

Mike

http://www.coalmarch.com
Michael Botkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2004, 12:11 AM   #8
Regular Crew

I had the same problem with my GL2. Drove me nuts! I ended up having to send it to Canon twice for repair under warranty last year. Second time was a charm and they fixed it. I haven't had a problem with the EJECT message since. I don't think your problem is related to switching brands of tapes, although it is a good thing to stick with one!

John
John Laird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2004, 03:52 AM   #9
New Boot

Well, I've got one more important thing to film, then I guess it goes back. I have been using the TDK's exclusively but maybe I'll try another brand and see what happens. There was another thread somewhere in the forum that said Fuji products were a good choice!

Phil
Old February 29th, 2004, 03:51 AM   #10
Tourist

same problem

I have a Canon XM2 (PAL version of GL2) and have the same problem: "REMOVE THE CASSETTE" warning when I rewind.
It is 10 months old and I have only used Sony miniDV tapes so far.
I have also read other forums on the web and learned that this is a common problem about this Canon camera (and also some other models). It seems like a technical problem with the head and unfortunately looks like the only solution is to sent it to repair...
People at other forums even trying to get organized to make Canon to do a recall on these units and offer a free repair and replacement!
Ali Demirel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 29th, 2004, 04:08 AM   #11
Old Boot

Where is this?

OH REALLY !! ! ! "People at other forums even trying to get organized to make Canon to do a recall on these units and offer a free repair and replacement!" . . .

Ali please give link and Group and where and when you saw this .. . I'm very very interested . . as others will be who read your post . . .

Best regards

Grazie
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 29th, 2004, 08:44 AM   #12
Tourist

Graham, this is the link:
http://www.camcorderinfo.com/bbs/t38981.html
but there is no serious organization about it yet...
Ali Demirel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 29th, 2004, 06:58 PM   #13
Major Player

I haven't had any rewinding or Eject problems but I did send both of our GL2s to Canon for annual maintenance recently. Canon replaced the idler gear and drive assemblies on both cameras. I did not ask for these changes and there was no extra charge. Are these the kind of parts that could lead to the problems some of you are having? Any hardware experts?
Bob
Bob Harotunian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2004, 02:51 PM   #14
Regular Crew

Well, my beautiful new camera definitly is sick. I can't rewind any of the 4 tapes that I have put thru it now. Looks like it will have to go back. Phil, did you send yours off and did the Techs know much about the problem? Costs????
Very sad and fustrated:-(((
Old March 3rd, 2004, 03:20 PM   #15
Regular Crew

Must be a known problem if there is an dedicated entry in Canons troubleshooting list!!
http://alpha01.c-wss.com/wsss/ApplServlet?SV=WWUCA900
Check it out, nothing left to do but send it off for servicing.
Colin Rayner is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders