low light and the GL2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old February 22nd, 2004, 12:55 AM   #1
New Boot

low light and the GL2

I was wondering how the GL2 performs in low light compaired to the VX2100. Right now at B and H there is about a $700 difference between the two in price...is it work it?

thanks
Rusty™
Rusty Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2004, 01:51 AM   #2
Outer Circle

This depends on how low the "low light" is.
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2004, 04:48 PM   #3
Trustee

I don't know how it compares to that camera, but I have found the GL2 to be pretty poor in low light (with 1/4" CCDs) compared to PD150s or that class of 1/3" CCD camera. I shot with a GL2 in a dark bar and the only color, and I mean ONLY color picked up was red, even with very high gain. I also shot a stage play with a GL2 in center and PD150's on left and right (so same level of light from all angles), and the PD150s outperformed the GL2 very significantly. So the questions to ask are what are the CCD size (bigger is better) and the number of pixels (more is better) and that'll tell you, but a difference from 1/4" to 1/3" CCDs is signficiant and worth the money I'd say, but I don't know how big the VX2100 CCDs are.
Peter Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2004, 05:50 PM   #4
Regular Crew

What about the 20x lens on the GL2? Isn't there a substantial improvement of the Canon lens over the Sony 12x? The 20x, the common menu and operating controls to the already familiar XL-1S, common batteries and dual charger, and 2" shorter length are my reasons for intending to buy the GL2, despite low light performance. Please correct me if my thinking on these benefits is not correct! My main application is travel documentaries, mostly outdoors, not on a tripod (hand held). Also how do the OIS compare?
John C Heid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2004, 05:58 PM   #5
Outer Circle

Quote:
Also how do the OIS compare?
I believe they both work equally as good. Chris Hurd had mentioned that Sony uses Canon's OIS technology.
Old February 26th, 2004, 06:29 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Where do you see this "$700 differerence in price"?
Old February 26th, 2004, 06:30 PM   #7
Regular Crew

I 'll bet the Canon optics are better.
John C Heid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2004, 11:03 PM   #8
Outer Circle

Agreed.
Old February 28th, 2004, 07:35 PM   #9
Regular Crew

One Extra Stop

You can get one extra stop of low light ability by shooting in frame mode at 1/30 second.

The motion signature looks just fine......
Tom Voigt is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders