DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   XM2 Full Auto mode (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-gl-series-dv-camcorders/21804-xm2-full-auto-mode.html)

Robin Davies-Rollinson February 23rd, 2004 09:00 AM

XM2 Full Auto mode

Am I right in thinking that the XM2 in full auto mode will not apply the full amount of gain available (18db) but it has to be added using the rotary control?
At least, this is what happens on my particular camera.

Robin.

Joe Lloyd February 23rd, 2004 02:58 PM

Hmmm mine seems to turn the gain up all the time in full auto.

Alan McCormick February 23rd, 2004 03:02 PM

Robin,

The Cam will change all exposure settings automatically depending on the light situation. I have never used Full Auto for long as you never have control.

As for your statement about NOT going to 18dB gain in Full Auto I suspect the Cam just did not have to in your particular shoot. Saying that I am sure it would if the light was low enough.

I am sure one of the technical guys will comment further but do yourself a huge favour and try the manual settings ;) Good Luck

Robin Davies-Rollinson February 24th, 2004 01:37 AM

Thanks guys - I should add that as a pro I always use the manual controls. It was just that I was allowing my daughter to try out the camera and it seemed to me that the gain wasn't kicking in when it should have. I then put it through tests going from normal conditions to dark areas where I wouild have expected to see all the gain being used. The only way I could do this was to press in the knurled ring and increase exposure, press the ring again and suddenly it would all happen. May be a fault, hence the query.

Robin.

Alan McCormick February 24th, 2004 02:48 AM

After I replied to your earlier post I had a look at your website - :(
You put me in the dark, I guess it is/was a fault. Initially I thought you may not have understood the concept, I am wrong.

OT - I also had a look at your XM2 beachtec set-up photos and was impressed too. You have made the small XM2 look pretty cool.

Hope you suss out the problem.

Joe Lloyd February 24th, 2004 01:45 PM

Just tested mine in full auto in real low light, it did use gain but only 12db. Won't seem to go up all the way.....

Robin Davies-Rollinson February 24th, 2004 04:05 PM

Joe,
That's exactly it. It seems the only way to get full 18db gain is to overide auto and "dial" it on the knurled ring.
Perhaps it's inherent in the design, though why it should be so, I don't understand.;-)

Robin.

Alan McCormick February 25th, 2004 12:09 AM

I had a go last night in Full Auto indoors, when I checked the exposure "sometimes" it had gone to 18dB and others only 12dB.

Did not like it anyway as it was too grainy and bright but tried it to check out the problem.

Don't know if it is built in problem???????

Joe Lloyd February 25th, 2004 01:07 PM

Maybe Canon did this on purpose because of the grainy look of 18db?