GL-2 ..suffered extreme abuse! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old February 27th, 2004, 09:43 AM   #1
Regular Crew

GL-2 ..suffered extreme abuse!

Just thought I would let you all know how my GL-2 has performed in the last 3 weeks.

I've had my GL-2 for about 4 months ..but have only used it for a couple of hours ..up until 3 weeks ago. That's where the extreme abuse sets in. The first week, I was shooting outside for 11 hours a day. The tempuraters ranged from mid 70's to mid 40's. ...winds ranging from 5 to 25 miles an hour ...
on one particular day, about 4 hours of moderate rain ..and drizzle...I was videoing a construction crew. They were excavating some pipe. So lots of digging, and lots of dirt.

the second week. pretty much the same thing. 10 hours a day outside. temperatures ranged from 45 to 85. winds ranged from 5 to 35 miles and hour. And again, lots of digging, and lots of dirt.

the third week. ...again, same thing. ....9 or 10 hours a day. temperatures 45 to 80 .........winds ...5 to 40 miles an hour. Lots of dust.

all in all, about 90 hours of video.

each day when i got home, the camera was completely covered in dirt. every spot you can imagine, was covered in dirt.

With all of that abuse, i have not experienced a single problem. The camera has performed flawlessly. ...Of course, a problem might occur down the road, as a result of all of that. But so far so good.

The only real negative i have, is the color represention ..when it comes to bright oranges. ...like traffic cones ..and safety vests. ......I tried and tried and tried to adust the settings to make it look right. But the orange would always come out purplish/red.

Another thing ive noticed ....while just playing around the house. ...Anytime i point the camera at something blue .....you see a real grainy/noisey effect ..on the blue areas .......is this normal?

Anyway, over all. i'm very happy with the camera.

John
John Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2004, 11:36 AM   #2
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Thank you for that report, John.

Re: your color issues, if you've not already done so I would suggest that you take a look at the color saturation and gain settings (in the camera's menu). It sounds like something's become jacked-up, as this is certainly not normal.

If that fails to resolve the issue, before sending it for service remove the main battery -and- the back-up battery for a few hours. Reload them and take another look.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders