DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   lost eyecup (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-gl-series-dv-camcorders/22498-lost-eyecup.html)

Frank Chang March 6th, 2004 08:28 PM

lost eyecup

I lost my standard eyecup for GL2 while filming skiing today. Any one know where I can purchase 1-2 replacements? May also get an extra sports eyecup.
Thanks

Alan McCormick March 7th, 2004 03:54 AM

In the same "theme" I have a colleague who has a XM1/GL1 and he likes the XM2/GL2 eyecup as it is bigger and better for someone wearing glasses.

The actual fitting to the Cam (XM1) looks different, I guess this is one of the improvements in the XM2.

Q - Can you purchase ane eyecup similar to the XM2 one for the GL1? (in the UK) .

John C Heid March 10th, 2004 04:40 PM

B-H Photo just got the I-Cuff DV eyepiece back in stock yesterday; I had one backordered. I recommend that eyepiece with glasses. Roughly $34.

Graham Bernard March 10th, 2004 05:51 PM

Tell you what Alan - yer can't even buy one for the XM2, here in the UK. Once you get outside the "normal" accessories for the XM2 one is at a loss.

Grazie

Frank Chang March 10th, 2004 09:01 PM

questions for John

Thanks John for the tip. I looked at the BH website and have a couple of questions.
The I Cuff-DV looks like a hood. Is the I Cuff-DV a larger eye cup? Ie. the same size as the larger eyecup that comes standard with the GL2? I was trying to replace the smaller standard eyecup that I lost.
What material is it made of and how exactly does it attach? is it made specifically for the GL2, is the attachment to the GL2 secure as I am skiing with the camera and it does get bumped around a fair amount.
Thanks.

Alan McCormick March 11th, 2004 12:13 AM

Thanks Grazie, will pass on the info.

Ken Tanaka March 11th, 2004 12:29 AM

Frank,
The i-Cuff to which John is referring is made of a nylon-like fabric and presents a soft pile edge against your face. A stiffer plastic liner keeps the main body relatively rigid. It attaches to your viewfinder via a Velcro compression strap that wraps around the viewfinder's shaft.

For bright, outdoor work it's a very nice accesory to have...nearly essential. You won't have regrets buying one.

VideoSmith sells a rubber eye cup called the Ikkup. It's not as comfortable as the i-Cup, in my opinion. But some may find it preferable.

One additional point. Remember that you received a 2nd eye cup with your GL2. The larger piece was designed for use with glasses.

Frank Chang March 12th, 2004 06:14 PM

Harness or straps for GL2?

Thanks Ken,
I know I have the larger eyecup which of course I am currently using, but I also wanted to replace the smaller one that I lost and maybe even get an extra, cause I'm sure I'm capable of losing another one or two in the future, cause the camera moves around a lot when I am ski with it.

This brings me to another question. Does anone know of a harness I can use to hold the GL2 against my body when I am skiing. I had some similar apparatus many years ago for a 35mm camera when I use to shoot photos while cross country skiing and downhill skiing, It was just a few elastic belts that would wrap around the camera stabilizing the camera agaist the body when not in use allowing the camera to stay out to avoid condensation. A similar setup for the GL2 would be very handy for my ski videos. Anyone aware of such a product? Thanks.