Need input on the DM-50 Directional Mic - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old February 19th, 2003, 06:03 PM   #16
Trustee

SGM-X Specs

SGM-X
Frequency Response: 80-18,000Hz
Sensitivity: SUPER CARDIOID -33dB re 1V/Pa
Impedance: 1.5k Ohms @ 1KHz
Max. SPL Input Level: 103dB
Signal to Noise Ratio: 65dB
Dynamic Range: 78dB
Battery Type: LR-44 - USE ALKALINE BATTERY
Battery Current: 0.5 mA
Battery Life: 150 HOURS w/ALKALINE BATTERY
Weight w/o Battery: 3.75oz (106grams)
Dimensions: 8.34" (212mm) length
Dimensions: 0.83" (21mm) diameter
Output Type: 3.5mm mini-jack
Supplied Accessories: Shoe-Mount Microphone Holder
Supplied Accessories: 1 Windscreen
Supplied Accessories: 1 Output Cable (3.5mm mini-plug - 3.5mm mini-plug)
Supplied Accessories: 1 LR-44 Battery
Old February 19th, 2003, 06:57 PM   #17
Major Player

Tom: Thank you very much.

Steve: I already own the SGM-X. I liked the specs when I read about it and also liked the price. However, a noise problem I've discussed elsewhere on these forums has driven me to understand Canon's alternatives so I can decide if I have a mic problem, a camcorder problem, or if it's just the nut behind the wheel. Thanks for the suggestion, though.

Will
Will Fastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2003, 07:16 PM   #18
Major Player

Tom:

The ultimate question I'm trying to get answered is whether the DM-50 picks up mechanical noise from the zoom.

As I mentioned in the previous post, I bought the Azden SGM-X mic. Immediately I noticed that it was picking up noise from the zoom. Tests demonstrated that this was ambient noise rather than noise being picked up through the mount.

However, the GL2's on-board mic does not pick up this noise. Given your happiness with the DM-50, it must not either. I asked elsewhere whether the GL2 was cancelling its own noise; the opinion offered here is that it does not. I had thought that if the GL2 cancelled, it might cancel from a mic directly connected via the accessory shoe and that therefore the DM-50 might be a better choice than the SGM-X.

Many thanks again for posting the specs.

Will
Old February 19th, 2003, 08:22 PM   #19
Wrangler

The published specs for the DM50 compare with the Senheiser MKE300. What is missing is the S/N ratio and the max SPL for 1% distortion.

The impedance of the SGM-X strikes me as a bit high for best performance with the GL1/2 or XL1/1s. The SPL for 1% distortion is a relatively low sound level as decent mics go.
Don Palomaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2003, 09:08 PM   #20
Obstreperous Rex

Also, the DM-50 does a decent job of killing camera motor noise. The mic is shock-mounted in a suspension cradle which dampens just about everything coming up through the body. Plus it's directional to the point where it does not pick up from the immediate camera area (but from in front of the camera instead). Hope this helps,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2003, 10:04 AM   #21
Major Player

I can see that I don't know enough about microphones in general. I would appreciate links to sites with white papers or other collateral material that might help to educate me.

Thanks.
Old February 20th, 2003, 11:50 AM   #22
Wrangler

http://www.shure.com/booklets/techpubs.html
Old February 20th, 2003, 12:13 PM   #23
Major Player

Excellent. Thank you.
Old February 20th, 2003, 08:55 PM   #24
Regular Crew

Will,

No, I don't notice any zoom noise. It does a decent job of rejecting creaking chairs, etc. in my immediate vicinity.

One advantage of the mic for me is that it interfaces to my Optura Pi thru the intelligent hotshoe. On the Optura all audio recording levels are automatic, and I don't have any control, so its a good thing that the levels are happy. I've stopped monitoring audio while taping since it seems to be all good (and what could I do anyway?).

Is the Azden SGM-X mic stereo? I am thinking that if the on camera mic is your sole source of sound, you would want it to be stereo.
Tom Voigt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2003, 10:37 PM   #25
Major Player

Tom:

This is going to sound incredibly stupid, but I don't know. The specs at Azden's Web site don't say and the small document that came with the mic doesn't mention stereo, either.

The mini-plug cable that comes with the mike is stereo; on the monoaural mics I own, the cable is mono. Using the audio level displays on the GL2, I appear to get different levels on each channel depending upon the location of the sound. So based on experience, I'd have to say the SGM-X is stereo. I'll ask Azden.

For my application, stereo isn't essential.
Old February 22nd, 2003, 01:27 PM   #26
New Boot

I've bought couple of weeks ago a Sony ECM-S959C.
The MRSP is about 200$ and here below the specification:

Frequency response: 50-18000Hz
Aperture: Stereo Back electrect Supercardioide (selectable 90° - 120°)
Impedance: 550ohms
Sensitivity: -51.4 +/-3dBm (0dbm=1 mW/Pa)
Max SPL: 114db
Dinamic range: 89db
S/N ratio: 69dB

My impressions are that it probabily need a little bit of equalization on the bass frequency, because the roll off filter you should gain up the frequncy below 150hz and on the middle frequency gain down between 1500-6000Hz.
Old February 22nd, 2003, 02:26 PM   #27
Major Player

Giampy:

Can you point me to a Web site regarding the ECM-S959C?

Thanks.
Will
Old February 23rd, 2003, 04:01 AM   #28
New Boot

Will,

unfortunately there are no so much web site about the ECMs959C.
I remember, some time ago, i've just issued a tread for the ECM, in witch i was asking some impressions about an audio sample.
The audio sample is included in this link:

www.nomasi.com/rmbl/sndtrck001.html

Enjoy the listening and write me back your impressions.
If you need more details, ask me

Bye
Old February 23rd, 2003, 07:53 AM   #29
Wrangler

Is this really the Sony ECM-MS957? Some details at:
http://www.sel.sony.com/SEL/consumer/ss5/office/accessories/microphonesfordigital/ecm-ms957_specs.shtml

Sony also offes a ECM-MS908C which is a lesser mic for camcorder mounting and a ECM-MS907 that is similar without camcorder mount.

There also was a higher end stereo mic in the professional line, the Sony ECM999.
Old February 24th, 2003, 08:12 AM   #30
Major Player

Neither the 957 nor the 999 match the specs Giampy listed, although the 957 is pretty close.

The 907 and 908 are exactly the same mic electrically and physically except for two things. The 907 (which I own) has a long (~6 feet) cord and a mount that can be used on a mic stand or folded to allow use on a flat surface. The 908, the camcorder version (which my brother owns), has a short (~1 foot) cord and an accessory shoe mount.
Will Fastie is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders