Need input on the DM-50 Directional Mic - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old September 29th, 2003, 11:20 AM   #46
Regular Crew

DM-50 Mic, worth buying???

I just got my new GL2, and I did a test the other night recording a band in a club. Although the audio was good, I was hoping it would be a little better. Would the DM-50 give me better audio than the onboard mic on the GL2, and also is it powered by the camera battery?? And can you still adjust the audio input manually using the controls on the side of the camera??

The sound guy the band has is an absolute god, he makes the band sound perfect and I just want to be able to capture that sound, it sounds kind of "tinny" through the onboard mic, there is not the rich bass and midtones I am looking for. Also I don't really want to record right from the soundboard becasue I like to have the crowd noise in there, and I tried recording from the board once and it sounded really bad.

www.jcmediaservices.com
www.kickbacktracks.com
Royalty Free Video Production Loops!
Jason Casey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2003, 11:43 AM   #47
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Jason,
We already have many postings on the DM-50. I'm sure you'll find some guidance among them.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2003, 01:03 PM   #48
Regular Crew

Well, I just ordered one, hopefully it will work since I won't have another chance to "test" it out in the conditions I will be shooting in untill I am actually there shooting it!

www.jcmediaservices.com
www.kickbacktracks.com
Old October 1st, 2003, 02:02 PM   #49
Regular Crew

There's a post on this thread about using the GL1/GL2 at music shows. I think the advice was to get a recording through the mixing board, but leave your camera recording so you can insert some synched up stuff later to "Dirty it up" a little bit.
Old October 2nd, 2003, 03:54 PM   #50
Regular Crew

I got the new mic and it does sound a lot better than the one on the camera, I think at least for the first show I am going to bring along my crappy old camera, the video isn't great, but it records great audio. Then I can either use that audio completley, or make a nice mix of the 2.

www.jcmediaservices.com
www.kickbacktracks.com
Old October 8th, 2003, 01:50 AM   #51
Regular Crew

cant use VL-3

Is there anyway to still use the VL3 light after using the DM-50?
Do you use videolight? if so what would you do since the horse shoe has been taken up?

ys
Yow Siang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2004, 12:19 PM   #52
Major Player

Canon's DM-50 mic vs. original gl2 onboard mic (any soundclips?)

I'm trying to "hear" the differences of the DM-50 mic vs. the mic thats already onboard.... Does anyone have the DM-50 mic and can film some footage, but just convert it into sound? I really want to see what the DM-50 sounds like and if it makes any good differences in trying to film documentaries or short films where you want the sound concentrated in front of you, but I want to see if anyone has some sound clips or two....
Old February 25th, 2004, 12:30 PM   #53
Obstreperous Rex

David

The built-in mic on the GL2 has a wide pickup pattern and (like all on-board camcorder mics) can pick up zoom motor and tape transport noise in quiet environments.

The DM-50 has a narrow pickup pattern, is shock-mounted to reduce picking up camcorder noise, and has a couple of switchable pickup patterns, stereo and mono. Those are the differences in a nutshell. Hope this helps,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2004, 01:08 PM   #54
Major Player

Some people will probably disagree, but I hardly hear the difference between the two. If you want a better mic, I would go the next step up.
Old February 26th, 2004, 04:44 PM   #55
Regular Crew

I purchased a DM-50 when I first got my GL2, tried it on a couple diffrent shoots and I was very dissapointed in the sound from it. Very midrange, not a lot of bass or high end. I've tried it in all the modes in many diffrent situations and I just can't get it to produce good sound for me. I normally shoot live bands so I know that it is not easy to get good audio from that, but I was still very dissapointed in the DM-50. I'd save the hundred bucks and invest in a better mic.

www.jcmediaservices.com
www.kickbacktracks.com
Old March 6th, 2004, 08:12 AM   #56
Regular Crew

What about the EQ-GL? Has anyone tried this windscreen?
I have the equalizer on an XL-1S with MA200 and AT897, dual batteries, etc. The Eq looks great and works well.

I am trying to keep the GL2 (that I plan to order Monday 3/08/04 AM) as small as possible, as a travel cam. In most cases, the audio will be scrapped in post and replaced with MP3 files, narration, etc.

The EQ is not necessary, but I think it adds to the looks... and I plan to add a VL-3 on the hot shoe all of the time. This eliminates the place for an external mic.

Thoughts...?
John C Heid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2004, 06:33 AM   #57
Major Player

Would you say the DM-50 compared to the onboard is better for interviews or short films possibly where you don't want to pick up the sound behind you?
Old March 7th, 2004, 07:50 PM   #58
Major Player

DM-50 mic wind shield?

Do you need to put on that plastic black wind/foam shield only for heavy winds? Can you remove it? Is it better to have it on or off at all times?
Old March 8th, 2004, 12:11 PM   #59
Obstreperous Rex

There are two foam elements, the front one and the back one. They are removeable. There might be a tiny difference if you have them off in a very quiet room, but I kinda doubt it.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2004, 12:56 PM   #60
Major Player

Yeah....I was just wondering if the wind shield is needed or recommended just to have it on (perhaps for protection and no hassle of having to put back the shield back on and forth or carrying it).

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders