Need input on the DM-50 Directional Mic - Page 5 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old March 29th, 2004, 03:32 PM   #61

Need input on the DM-50 Directional Mic

I'm wondering what the best applications would be for the Canon DM-50 Directional Microphone, which mounts on top of the GL-2?

I'd like to speak to someone who uses one of these to see how practical it might be, how much range it has, sound quality, etc...

Thanks,
Dan from Michigan
Old March 29th, 2004, 03:40 PM   #62
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Dan,
We have many, many threads that discuss the DM-50.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2004, 03:58 PM   #63
Major Player

Covered, but for a quick answer not worth it. To me the DM-50 and the on camera mic are so similar that I would save a bit more money and get a better mic. Look for a used Senn Me66 perhaps?
Old March 29th, 2004, 10:17 PM   #64

Yes, I priced a Senn Me66 and it looks like I'd only be able to afford a used one...

Thanks!
Old March 31st, 2004, 10:51 PM   #65
Inner Circle

I have to agree that the DM-50 isn't probably the best shotgun mic you could get for your camera. However, it IS relatively inexpensive, and DOES provide pretty good directional sound. I also like that you can switch it from directional to omni with a simply flick of your finger, and the fact that it pulls power from my camera battery, which I can monitor easily.

Overall, I'd say it's a good deal unless you can afford a much better directional mic.
Old April 1st, 2004, 01:30 AM   #66
Regular Crew

I did notice a difference when I recently got the DM-50, and since I usually add a soundtrack later, I'm happy with it for now. And considering the increased range, windscreen, 3 settings and shock mounting it really is a great value.
Vladimir Chaloupka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2004, 06:35 AM   #67

Thanks Vladimire and Travis,
I appreciate the help. If anyone has any info on the specs of the DM-50, I'd still like to know the approx. pick-up range/distance of this microphone.

:)
Dan
Old April 2nd, 2004, 12:32 PM   #68
Regular Crew

Dan, I'm relatively new to digital video, so I'm afraid I don't know much about the wireless mic systems. I did use the dm50 for a friends wedding and during the vows I was about 20 feet away, and this was a bit out of range for the mic (although it should be fine with some work in post production). I'd say anything within 10 feet would sound good. (Using a wide-angle converter lets you get even closer to the subject for better audio pickup)
Hope this helps, Vlad
Vladimir Chaloupka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2004, 02:26 PM   #69
Inner Circle

I've run tests with my DM-50 vs. the onboard mic at ranges around 25 feet, and I picked up sound very well with the DM-50. However, weddings are a different story because the bride and groom (the bride especially usually) will be talking very quietly. I did a wedding this past summer where I was no more than 10ft. from the bride and groom with a GL2/DM-50 combo, and I had a wireless (feeding to another GL2 w/receiver) about two feet above their heads (attached out of view to the struts on the tent they were under). I got only slightly more sound out of the bride using the wireless that was right above her vs. the DM-50. I'd say the DM-50 is a very good mic overall for its price category.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders