Attaching a mic AND light to a GL2 . . . at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old March 31st, 2004, 10:55 PM   #1
Inner Circle

Attaching a mic AND light to a GL2 . . .

Does anyone know of a way to have a DM-50 AND a light, or for that matter, any direction mic AND a light attached to a GL2's hotshoe? Is there some accessory that will allow this? Or at least an accessory that will allow you to attach both a mic and light to the camera, even if they have to be self-powered.

I have a DM-50 currently, and I don't know how I'd use it AND a light with one of my GL2's.
Old March 31st, 2004, 11:10 PM   #2
Major Player

Travis,

I found something on a UK website (sure you can find something similar over the pond).

I found it at www.keene.co.uk

Have a look at the "Products" then "Supports" page the Accessories,Shoes, brackets, mounts supports. The item is last on the list (Twinshoe), this will be OK as long as you have a light that does not need the Cam power (or Mic).

ps I do not have it but have thought about the idea.
Old March 31st, 2004, 11:17 PM   #3
Inner Circle

I can't get that website to load right now, but I'll check it out again later. Thanks.
Old April 1st, 2004, 03:02 AM   #4
Old Boot

B&H good place to start looking in USA .. .

. . here's some "gizmos" . . .relatively cheap .. .

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=146293&is=REG

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=114983&is=REG

Grazie
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2004, 09:59 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Thanks for the links. Unfortunately, those accessories won't work with the DM-50, which requires access to the hot-shoe power source on the GL2. Guess I might need to look at getting a self-powered shotgun mic eventually.
Old April 1st, 2004, 10:04 AM   #6
Regular Crew

I looked around a bit for the same thing, and had little luck. I ended up getting a different mic and light. I also got a tri-mount from NRG (via Zotz) that holds it all, plus an extra shoe mount for wireless receiver etc.
Old April 1st, 2004, 11:26 AM   #7
Inner Circle

I'm curious, what light did you get, how happy are you with it, and what type of film jobs do you typically use the light on?
Old April 1st, 2004, 01:25 PM   #8
Regular Crew

The Canon VL10li. It uses a 900 series battery, which is why I picked it up. No cords, no power supply issues. It is a decent little light, puts a lot of light in front of the cam. I have only used it in amatuer situations, and it seems like higher end consumer stuff, not pro. But for lighting up interviews or receptions, I think it would be fine. That is my intended use for it. Here is a link to it on the Zotz website.

http://www.zotzdigital.com/?page=shop/flypage&product_id=85&category_id=4e12a84308299d077092e7301ca32370

Sorry, just copy & paste it for now, I'll read up on how to post a actual link soon :)
Old April 1st, 2004, 04:38 PM   #9
Inner Circle

I've been trying to avoid using a camera-mounted light because I've heard it can annoy/distract people at wedding receptions What are you thoughts on that? Have you aimed the camera at yourself to see how bright the light is?

I'm just concerned because it's hard enough to get people to open up and talk to the camera at receptions, and having a light in their face would seem to make that more difficult. What do you think?
Old April 1st, 2004, 05:44 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Good point, and I am no wealth of info here. It is a bright little light, and spot-on into the face would be too much I think. There are alot of options though, since it is highly mobile/moveable, and only around $75. It seems that you would have to have a camera-mounted or hand-held light to wander around a reception etc. This would fill that bill, but I am sure there are better (if more expensive) options. The tri-mount I am using can put the light really "tall" over the camera (which helps some I think), and I am considering some type of gel and/or deflector to soften it up and avoid blinding people. I know that this light is in use by people here, hopefully they will comment. Have you searched the forums with the light as a keyword?
Old April 1st, 2004, 08:20 PM   #11
Inner Circle

Nope haven't done that yet. It hasn't been a priority for me yet. But with summer and quite a few high-end weddings approaching, I'm starting to wonder more if having a light would be a good thing.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders