DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   GL2 ND Filter, other ND filter, or Polarizer?...what do YOU use? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-gl-series-dv-camcorders/24029-gl2-nd-filter-other-nd-filter-polarizer-what-do-you-use.html)

Robert Pflugfelder April 3rd, 2004 04:17 PM

GL2 ND Filter, other ND filter, or Polarizer?...what do YOU use?

Hi all,
Okay, I know the GL2 has a nifty ND filter that drops in place on command. But if YOU were going to be shooting lots of outdoor/sunlight footage, and you want the best results, do you favor...

- The GL2 built-in ND filter
- Third party (Tiffen, etc.) ND filter
- Third party Polarizer filter
- Something else?

I realize the polarizer provides other features aside from ND, but it was a recommendation from my GL2 dealer, so I thought I'd put it out there. I'm guessing that most of us shoot outdoors, and so there is a lot of experience with ND out there. Thoughts??

Thanks,
Robert

Frank Granovski April 3rd, 2004 04:48 PM

I would use a polarizer, linear or circular, and probably one from B+W.

Ken Tanaka April 3rd, 2004 05:02 PM

A polarizing filter is essentially a color control instrument. While it does affect exposure, that is not its purpose. Use the onboard ND filter to control your base exposure range and the polarizer to control color saturation on sunny outdoor shoots.

Travis Cossel April 3rd, 2004 06:46 PM

That leads me to a question. I have a circular polarizing filter for each of my GL2's, but I have yet to actually use one on a project because I'm not sure how to use them. Do you just screw it on, and then rotate the filter to get the look you want? Are there situations other than bright, sunny days where you would recommend a circular polarizing filter?

And to respond to the original question, I use the onboard ND filter and it seems to work just fine.

Ken Tanaka April 3rd, 2004 10:03 PM

Travis: No thread hijacking. Start a new thread for a new topic.

Robin Davies-Rollinson April 4th, 2004 12:37 AM

As discussed in another thread (see: Matte Box) I find that a graduated filter is probably more use than a polarizer.

Robin

Travis Cossel April 4th, 2004 01:30 AM

Thread hijacking? The posts previous to mine (including yours Ken, and the post after mine) were discussing polarizing filters. I just wanted to clarify when you guys used them and how . . . but whatever.

Rob Lyons January 20th, 2005 06:51 PM

I find the in cam ND and a circular polarizer provide a great image. Having a variety of filters to choose from will help a lot, you'll be prepared to get a great image out of any given situation.

Brendan Marnell January 21st, 2005 05:39 PM

Rob or anyone out there, please

Can you help me, a beginner at video, to understand and organize the use of an ND filter with a circular polarizer with x1.75 teleconvertor on a GL2, please?

Can they be combined at all?
Brendan