White Balance Question at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old April 3rd, 2004, 04:33 PM   #1
Major Player

White Balance Question

hi,

i had a shoot with 2 gl2's running simultaneously at diffferent angles. i couldn't get the white balance set in either cam so our color was way off. so i have two questions:

1) what are some reasons why the white balance would NOT set.(and yes i do know how to set it normally.)

2) Is better or ok to use the factory setting for indoor white balance?

(shooting in a home living room with proper lighting and set)

please help i will die if i have to go thrugh this again.
Joel Corral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2004, 04:59 PM   #2
Major Player

I would never use the camera's auto white balance indoors. Instead, point your camera at a white object and fill the frame. Make sure the camera is in manual exposure and adjust to a good level. Select white balance and then set. The blinking should stop in a few seconds and then you're all set.
Bob Harotunian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2004, 08:46 PM   #3
Major Player

As i said before i DO know how to white balance. the icon just kept blinking. i tried and tried again.

This is a unique situation and i am trying to trouble shoot why the white balance would not set on two different GL2's.
again; Does anyone know what different reasons that could cause the GL2 not to white balance properly?
Old April 3rd, 2004, 09:24 PM   #4
Major Player

Joel,

Usually, it's that there is not sufficent light. You may want to try an add some light or get closer to your white source.
Rob Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2004, 10:17 PM   #5
Major Player

ok, thank you for the advice.

will a sheet of paper work as a white source?
Old April 3rd, 2004, 10:50 PM   #6
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

The continuously-blinking wb indicator was recently raised and explained in this thread.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2004, 11:50 PM   #7
Major Player

so then it is normal and ok to shoot when the indicator is still blinking and it is better the the factory set indoor white balance?
Old April 4th, 2004, 07:59 AM   #8
Major Player

Joel,
If you've tried white balancing on 2 GL2s and they both kept blinking, you're not setting them correctly and you won't have correct color reproduction in my experience. Try the thread that Ken recommended.
Bob Harotunian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2004, 11:07 AM   #9
Major Player

Bob Harotunian,

my reply was in response to

Ken Tanaka
Warden

The continuously-blinking wb indicator was recently raised and explained in this thread.
Old April 4th, 2004, 11:30 AM   #10

Joel,
Apparently a continuous blinker is ok, although it's not happened to me. Personally, I'd rather see it stick and would add light.

Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

Old April 4th, 2004, 02:53 PM   #11
Old Boot

"Apparently a continuous blinker is ok" Now THAT I didn't know . . . you've never have it happen Ken? You've always had WB get a fix? - Remarkable! - You must select the situation where it doesn't . . .I can get the blinkers anytime .. mostly "low" light.

Grazie
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2004, 04:20 PM   #12
Major Player

i get the blinkers all the time as well. but this time it was weired because there was plenty of light and both gl2's could balance.
Old April 5th, 2004, 12:18 AM   #13
Old Boot

Blinking White Balance . .another "feature"?

Now I'm really interested .. . .

Ken, Joel this needs further investigation and a response from Canon directly and/or from some more pro-user/s that can shed some light on this. I think we need a "back-to-basics" conversation to get clear and understnad the actual technical process that is happenning when the "blinker" is basically "hunting" - Hunting - my word - aint good if one wants to be in control. Is this hunting for the WB allowing the cammie to go onto a type of pseudo/auto WB "set"? This can't be good. Or is that the blinking is telling me that this is the "nearest" it can get to in this situation OR ARE we peering into to another XM2 "feature" set akin to the FF-REW and the dicky zoom-grip controller [ oh, by the way, I've got this "feature" back too .. . hey ho ].

Grazie
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2004, 12:36 AM   #14

I really don't have any more info on this. Since it's a documented attribute of the camera I suspect the camera's signal processor is simply telling you that it encountered some ambiguity in chroma and/or luma values that prevented it from reaching what it considers to be a precise white balance on the target.

You could try to contact Canon's service center for more information but I doubt they'll offer anything other than a recitation of the manual's text.

Old April 5th, 2004, 01:14 AM   #15
Old Boot

Blinking W/B !

Ken, thanks. But as you say you have never encountered this, I wasn't really asking for a response from you. However your, "from reaching what it considers to be a precise white balance on the target", IS a clue - although a statement of the obvious - and for me an opportunity to further consider that WB may/will not be reached for either a particular set of circumstances and/or a "fault" within the signal processing function. And yes Ken, I also realise that contacting Canon will/may result in an echoing of the "manual's" Zen like qualities - OMmmmmmmm .. . .

Maybe a straw poll on blinking WB. Something akin to:

1 - Do you get blinking on WB? - Y/N

2 - Would you say that there was enough light to hold the WB setting and the blinking to go off? Y/N

3 - In such circumstances to do continue to film using the blinking WB? Y/B

4 - Having the blinking Icon and apart from NOT taking the shot what do you do to continue?

TIA

- - - - - -

Something like this Ken?

Grazie
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders