anyone shoot indoor school sports? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old April 5th, 2004, 08:07 PM   #1
New Boot

anyone shoot indoor school sports?

How well does the GL2 af stay on subject?
James Kelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2004, 11:38 PM   #2
Inner Circle

In my experience the GL2 stays on focus very well if given enough light. In low light situations I've seen the autofocus have trouble. In all cases I prefer the GL2's autofocus feature over the XL1's It seems to me that the XL1 auto-focus searches way to often. With that said, I generally use manual focus, and you might be able to do the same.

I would imagine an indoor sporting event is going to have very good lighting in the sense of actual brightness. However, the lighting is probably going to be of the fluorescent vareity, which means, you'll definately want to manually white balance before you start recording to get the best color.
Old April 6th, 2004, 07:57 AM   #3
Regular Crew

I've videotaped four indoor sports events thusfar and have only had one instance of (focus) hunting. It was very short and not noticable to the casual viewer.
Ming Dong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2004, 08:06 AM   #4
New Boot

I like the 20x zoom of the Canon ...

but am thinking that maybe I should spend the extra $'s for the VX2100 for its 1/3 sensors, bit better build and AF? As Iwill be shoting in very low light at times - just not too often. Thanks!

James Kelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2004, 08:53 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Well, do your research on the two, and do it thoroughly. In my opinion, the GL2 holds its ground with the VX. The advantages you may gain with the purchase of the VX may or may not be worth the additional dollars; it just depends on your budget perhaps.
Old April 7th, 2004, 06:55 AM   #6
Regular Crew

I shoot lots of school sporting event with my GL2. I've had very good luck with the AF on my GL2 (you can see examples at www.slakrboy.com/videos.html).
Mark Jefferson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders