DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   Newcomer GL2 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-gl-series-dv-camcorders/24230-newcomer-gl2.html)

Rus May April 7th, 2004 07:04 AM

Newcomer GL2

I took returned my 1 week-old Optura 20 and got the GL2. The Canon rebate was a real incentive for me to make the switch.

After rebate, I would be paying $1700. I think this is a great deal, since I'm seeing used GL2's go for that price.

I run a project recording studio but am dabbling in video now and hope to include weddings/birthdays in my list of services, once I'm competent. I'm a semi-pro photographer, and do graphic design by day, so I do have a good eye for composition.

I plan on getting the Canon Wide-Angle lens or possibly the Century version. Which one is more recommended?

I already have an Audio Technica ATR25 mic but hope on upgrading to something like the AT897 or similar and also add an XLR-Pro or Beachtek XLR box that mounts to the cam.

This forum is an excellent resource and I look forward to learning a lot from you all.

Rus

Robin Davies-Rollinson April 7th, 2004 09:23 AM

Hi Rus,
I think most people here would reccommend that you go with the
Canon Wide-Angle lens rather than the Century Optics version. It was after all designed for that particular camera.
I've been immensely pleased with mine.

Robin

Travis Cossel April 7th, 2004 09:39 AM

I have to agree with Robin. I use the Canon WD-50H all the time and I love it. It has no noticable distortion, which is very important to me.

Ken Tanaka April 7th, 2004 10:25 AM

Note that Canon's wide-angle accessory lens is the WD-58H. I also second its nomination. No muss, no fuss, full zoom-through, excellent glass (in Canon's tradition).

Rus May April 7th, 2004 12:06 PM

Great, thanks.

Rus

Travis Cossel April 7th, 2004 02:34 PM

Oops, my bad, wrong number. Another thing I like about the wide-angle lens on the camera is how it helps balance the camera out. Combine that with an extra-large battery you'll have more controlled shots. The lens also makes the camera look more 'professional', which I don't really care about, but some clients actually will.

Rus May April 7th, 2004 04:18 PM

<<<-- Originally posted by Travis Cossel : Oops, my bad, wrong number. Another thing I like about the wide-angle lens on the camera is how it helps balance the camera out. Combine that with an extra-large battery you'll have more controlled shots. The lens also makes the camera look more 'professional', which I don't really care about, but some clients actually will. -->>>

Do you know how much (in inches) does the WD-57H add to the length of the camera?

On a slightly different note, I would like to get a camera bag that is compact without sacrficing too much room. Something very mobile, but yet has enough compartments for the basic accessories.

Rus

Graham Bernard April 8th, 2004 12:42 AM

"Do you know how much (in inches) does the WD-57H add to the length of the camera? " WD58H ( BTW, the "H" stands for the sun Hood that comes with the "H" kit ).

1 - Lens Length: Okay, from the where the threads end - ie less the threads as these will be inside the threaded cammie lens ring - approx 1¾". BUT with the Hood on this goes up to approx 3¾". It isn't much in any event. I'd recommend the WD58H kit. The lens is great.

2 - Cammie Bag: Many threads on this on this forum. I've got the KATA 102. Slightly longer than the 101. KATA have now brought out a further model with a "deeper", I think expandable, side pocket. So is a little bit bigger. I've used the KATA for 18 mionths now, at Weddings and other "grab and shoot" projects. The "neat" thing about the KATA is that you can rip back the double zipped top flap and you have all the stuff available in front of you and provides a type of "cammie" select shelf as you work on connecting/bolting/clipping stuff onto the cammie. Typical content for me is:

1 - Cammie - ha ha ha !

2 - 4 rolls of miniDV

3 - WD58H at one end of bag

4 - 2 x BP945 large batteries at other end of bag [ oh, and the original tiny battery! ]

5 - Battery Tester

6 - Swish army type gizmo

7 - A selection of XLR cables - short, long & 2-to-1 XLR setup

8 - Furry for mic

9 - Senni K66 with foam cover

10 - Canon MA300 Audio adaptor

11 - Senni 280 Pro Headphones (gotta get headphones!)

12 - Set of spare batteries 4 off

13 - Lens cleaner

14 - In the side pocket Port-A-Brace cammie cover in

15 - Velcroed to inside used to "retain" cammie short retaining strap, Port-A-Brace Sun-Hood to cover the WD Hood.

16 - Cold Shoe bracket - very useful for those "additional" bits and pieces.

17 - Filming Spectacles in Hard case

18 - Spare PAG light bulb

19 - LightWave GL1/2 Equalizer sound muff on Cammie all the time!

If I go out on a shoot this is augmented by the battery charger and the PAG light.

If you are gonna get the KATA, try then get the "wide" shoulder strap - made a big difference for my shoulder and the feeling of security and spreads the load on my shoulder joint - yeah?

Hope this helps,

Grazie

Ken Tanaka April 8th, 2004 12:59 AM

Psst...Rus...a whispering aside....

Grazie calls his XM2 a "cammie". It's part of Grazie's charm.

Graham Bernard April 8th, 2004 01:31 AM

LOL - KEN! ;-)

Rus May April 8th, 2004 06:10 AM

Gramie,

Thanks for going in-depth on your "cammie" rig.
I like the 101, but I'll have to check them out in person (once B&H reopens after their holiday closure).

Rus

Rus May April 8th, 2004 01:33 PM

I picked up the Sony HG 1.7 Tele for $260. It really is a nice piece of glass and works great. I'll be shooting the city landscape from my rooftop (weather permitting).

Wide angle adapter is coming soon.

I'm excited.

Chris Platt April 8th, 2004 03:43 PM

Rus...

Help....!!!!

Just noticed you said B&H was closed for the Holidays...unfortunately I didn't see that when I placed an order this morning.

I need my stuff before next week and I don't seem to see any way of cancelling the order on the web!

Anyone know how to cancel a B&H order?????!!!

Ken Tanaka April 8th, 2004 03:56 PM

You'd have to phone them to cancel an order. I suspect that they're closed tight until next week. In fact, you might have a tough time at most places, since tomorrow is Good Friday.

Why not give EVS a call to see what they can do? You can cancel your B&H order next week.

Rus May April 14th, 2004 09:42 AM

I got the WD58H wide-angle converter. Now I see why everyone recommends it. I have to get used the size of this outfit now.

I don't plan on taking off the converter lens, so I need to find a compact bag that will fit. Looking at the Kata 102.

Me wonders if me can fit the GL2 with WD58H fixed to it, in addition to the Sony 1.7x, batteries... into the Kata 102.