GL2 needs a mate? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old April 11th, 2004, 05:29 PM   #16
Inner Circle

Howard,

I understand your point. I would be just as upset if Canon was telling me they couldn't figure out the problem. I think I'd be telling a rep (if under warranty) that they needed to get me a replacement while they run their tests on mine.

I just was saying that all electronics have problems, and I haven't seen enough in the way of complaints to start 'warning' people away from GL2's.
Old April 15th, 2004, 09:47 AM   #17
New Boot

Well, I have been doing great with my GL2 that I purchased a year ago. If I have some problem(s) with a scene I am shooting, I make a few adjustments and BLAM! perfection. Your best bet is to get another GL2 for obvious reasons and for price.

In the future, you may want to consider the XL1s. The GL2 shares alot of similarities with it. But, the major change is the LENS EXCHANGE. Worth the price alone.

I am currently using an XL1s for a project that I am working on, and I love it. The way it holds, the picture depth, the color and it has alot more functions on the camera itself. Since it is a canon product, it would makes it easier to match shots when necessary.
Old April 15th, 2004, 04:26 PM   #18
Major Player

Although I agree that another GL2 would be the best choice, since I am strapped for cash I settled on ordering a Panasonic PVDV953 today. I thing I made the best choice according to what I read about it on DV.com. Hoping it will look similar in quality to my GL2. I am also not too concerned with being unable to share accessories, since this cam will be plugged into the wall and I will use my GL2 for mobility. The PVDV953 is a 3 chip cam for about half the price of a GL2. I am not concerned about it's low light performance, as I always, to the cringing of some posters here, prefer blasting my squinting wedding patrons with a shining deluge of 500 watt halogen lamps all around the church. Like the Good Lord said; Let There Be Light! Perhaps I should include a pair of sunglasses during the ceremony for the newlyweds...LOL.
Bill Hardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2004, 08:31 PM   #19
New Boot

Seth
You said you make a few adjustments and then perfection. Would you please share with us just what those adjustments are so I (we) can reduce our halos and color bleeding? I have heard that reducing the sharpness will reduce halos but I almost prefer the halos to the effect of reduced sharpness.
Howard Meyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2004, 06:28 AM   #20
New Boot

Without altering the settings on the camera..

Relocating the scene, shifting props, light manipulations, filter combinations, changing and altering the colors in the room.
Old April 16th, 2004, 07:15 AM   #21
New Boot

I'm afraid that when I am taping someone on stage or shooting an outdoor scene, changing the camera settings may be my only option. Are we in agreement that under conditions that we cannot alter, the GL2 may have halos and color bleeding?
Howard Meyer is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders