TV quality footage at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old April 7th, 2004, 12:06 PM   #1
Major Player

TV quality footage

I have been approached to do a 30 sec TV commercial (for a local TV station). Can anyone advise if I can use the Canon XM2 (DV) format and LE to output???

Any advice is appreciated.
Old April 7th, 2004, 01:27 PM   #2
Regular Crew

If you are asking can you make a commercial with XM2 - yes. I ussualy edit on laptop, and then copy to SONY DSR40 DVCAM deck, which is connected to DigiBeta. No problems so far, just funny look on the faces of some people when they hear that material is shot on XM. "No way...this is Betacam".....:-)
Darko Flajpan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2004, 02:42 PM   #3
Major Player

Alan,

I'll second that. The GL2 will produce good enough quality that all but the trained eye would never know the difference once it's broadcast. I've done both commercials and news stories. They look just fine. Key to the equation though is not asking more of the cam than it's capable of. Be sure you have decent light and quality audio.
Rob Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2004, 03:12 PM   #4
Major Player

Thanks guys,

You have given me the answers I hoped for. Fully understand the lighting and manual settings etc, must say that I use manual all the time and have found "good" lighting is a must for "good" results. Thanks again.

One question, what format do TV stations accept i.e will I have to convert to something else? I am contacting them tomorrow but curious.
Old April 7th, 2004, 03:16 PM   #5
Inner Circle

You most definately can. We've used XL1's for commercial shoots, and in my opinion, the GL2 image is better quality. I'm currently working on a PSA for the American Cancer Society which will use footage from a pair of GL2's, and it's going to work just fine.

::EDITED::

Sorry, I got tied up with some other things and this got posted after your reply. I've heard that many stations will actually accept DV tapes now, if that helps. You should probably check with the stations to make certain, though.
Old April 7th, 2004, 03:19 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Well, every TV station is prefering format they are using. But I believe all of them will accept DV, cause I don't know any TV station without DV/DVCAM deck. My TV station is working on DigiBeta, but will accept DV without any problems.
Darko Flajpan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2004, 03:23 PM   #7
Major Player

I've given miniDV tapes to local TV stations, but each station could be different.

-Kris
Kris Holodak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2004, 03:47 PM   #8
Major Player

Check in advance to be sure. Many can now accept DV. Usually they'll have at least one deck thats compatible. I found some that don't know they can use their DVCPro decks to play DVCAM/MiniDv so you may want to mention that.
Rob Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2004, 04:06 PM   #9
Old Boot

Well Done Alan!

Alan, congrats on the job itself - well done! I know what it means for you . . I'm sure you will do good! Lighting IS everything . . . no matter how much of the Manual you have eaten . . yeah?

Grazie
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2004, 11:32 PM   #10
Major Player

Thanks for your help and encouragement, time will tell but the good basic principles will hold out as normal.

Rob,

I am afraid I would not know how to ask more of the Cam as I am happy with the results I get (mostly), I never blame the Cam though.

Travis & Darko,

Will find out today about what the station will acccept but it is great to hear that they are accepting DV so I don't have to get it changed.

Grazie,

Thanks, not a South East TV (ours) but up North as a follow on from my venture up there a few weeks ago. I still say it is not concrete but is very interesting. Also arranging some other shoots for the near future, will keep you informed.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders