Zebra and it's use at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old April 10th, 2004, 08:55 AM   #1
Major Player

Zebra and it's use

First let me state that I have a bit of a photography background and understand exposure settings, iris control, stops etc. The GL2 has offered me something that I've never had before, the Zebra pattern, however the fundemental use of it isn't well documented and after scouring the web with google I still can't get a clear "this is how to use this feature" report.

So with this in mind, can someone advise me the best way to use the function. I've experimented for the last few weeks since I purcahsed my GL2's and really haven't seen the best results.

Typically I shoot AUTO and ride the exposure lock and use the viewfinder only, I've set the zebra at 90% per a discussion in another group which referred to pro dv cams and some shooters that use 90 (so if this is the best I'm not sure, just going by what others have said).

When I shoot a subject that is showing high zebra I expose down a little to get them to go away, what I'm finding is that this is usually too much, so with that I say, where is the right place to setup this stuff.

OR should I just shut off the mode and go for the feel that I'm looking for the in viewfinder and trust my eyes.

OR should I just run full manual without zebra and shoot like I used to with my still cams. The only issue with this is that the 3 adjustments that you have to make when in manual are sometimes hard to get to quickly or it's easy to over shoot a setting by pushing the button too many times too quickly.

Miguel
Miguel Lombana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2004, 09:21 AM   #2
Trustee

The more you shoot, the more you'll get used to the settings and be able to find the best one for you.
Here's a useful little web page for you to look at: http://www.greatdv.com/cameras/Zebra.htm
I tend to use 100% because I'm a great believer in setting the exposure slightly under. It's so easy to blow the white levels with DV and they can't be rescued in post. My settings give me a fuller, slightly heavy image that suits my taste and produces very clean, sharp images.

Robin.
Robin Davies-Rollinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2004, 09:28 AM   #3
Major Player

Thanks, now this is what I was looking for, it's basic, simple and clear. Appreciate it!
Old April 10th, 2004, 10:02 AM   #4
Major Player

One more quick question, has anyone posted a direct relationship between the exposure lock clicks and actual F stop numbers?
Old April 10th, 2004, 10:06 AM   #5
Trustee

Each one appears to be 1/4 stop. You can count them if you go from f2.8 to f4 or f5.6 to f8 for example since these are aperture "whole numbers"

Robin
Robin Davies-Rollinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2004, 10:07 AM   #6
Major Player

Super! Life is getting good!
Miguel Lombana is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders