DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   We DO have a type of Black and White Viewfinder!!! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-gl-series-dv-camcorders/24426-we-do-have-type-black-white-viewfinder.html)

Graham Bernard April 11th, 2004 10:57 AM

We DO have a type of Black and White Viewfinder!!!

It's only a click away . . .The digital Setup gives me a neat sharp B/W . . click out again and you're back filming in full colour .. . HAHAHA! .. Why didn't anybody else say this? . . Found this on another forum

http://www.camcorderinfo.com/bbs/sho...threadid=55311

Grazie

Alan McCormick April 11th, 2004 01:48 PM

B/W

Now that is just cool, what the doctor ordered!!!

Such an easy tip but so effective, how come we never hit on this before grazie?

Many, many thanks for the pointer.

Robin Davies-Rollinson April 11th, 2004 03:13 PM

I don't want to pour cold water on this effect, but am I missing something here guys?
So, you can switch the viewfinder (and output) to B&W. What is the gain in doing this?
It's not increasing the defintion of the viewfinder - it's still a tiny LCD screenwith the same number of pixels. I don't think focussing is any easier and by keeping the effect menu active so you can switch it in and out just puts more text in the viewfinder.
Like I said, perhaps I'm missing something here...

Robin.

Graham Bernard April 11th, 2004 04:56 PM

"I don't want to pour cold water on this effect, but am I missing something here guys? " - Nope, you aren't and nope, it aint for everyone.

"So, you can switch the viewfinder (and output) to B&W. What is the gain in doing this?" - I get a clearer/contrasty view for focussing. I've just been playing with it and it helps. I suspect there will be occasions that this WILL be a crop of poo, but then I'll not use it - yeah? Already experimenting has shown me some of my focussing errors. This is a good thing? I think so.

"It's not increasing the defintion of the viewfinder" - Er, yes you are quite correct, I didn't overlook this Robin. However, it is in B&W, which for me gives a better focussing option than I think colour can provide . . . but I guess you knew that - Robin.

"- it's still a tiny LCD screenwith the same number of pixels." - Er yeah? . . However, those pixels are showing just black and white. It appears to me that it is more contrasty. I tell youn what it also does. It does tell me too when the light levels are a tad under too .. . But maybe you are saying that I am lulling myself into a false sense of security by thinking that I've got more pixels than before, and NOT realsing that the amount/number of pixels haven't grown! - Oh, but if I thought that, that would be just plain silly! Thanks for the nudge into the correct direction.

" I don't think focussing is any easier .. . " Works for me Robin. That's all !

" .. . and by keeping the effect menu active so you can switch it in and out just puts more text in the viewfinder. .. . . " . . . . and, Robin, I get to focus better .. . ;-)

"Like I said, perhaps I'm missing something here..." Nope, for you, you aint .. but then again it aint for everyone . . .. .

I think it is a little gem of an option. I might not use it in all occasions but something I'll keep in my back pocket for those difficult focussing situations.

Robin, I don't think it was "cold water" you were "pouring", I think you didn't want me to delude myself - yeah? Understood and thanks for the note of reality.

Best regards,

Grazie

Frank Granovski April 11th, 2004 05:49 PM

What's wrong with using the cam's LCD?

Graham Bernard April 11th, 2004 11:39 PM

Frank, you mean the "flip out" LCD? Nothing at all. Except I can get better visual "acuity" with the E/P. LCD is great for me for framing and yes, with enough light and the situation is good for me, I'll use it to focus. But when I want really sharp or the best focus I can achieve, then for me it's the E/P.

Cheers,

Grazie

Alan McCormick April 12th, 2004 01:30 AM

Maybe it is an individuals eyesight "thing" but I to find focusing with a colour v/f difficult in certain situations. I will definitely be playing around with the b/w option to see if that helps.

Will have to be careful I switch back to colour mind you ;)

As for when I would use it I very much doubt it will be on a run & shoot scenario as time is of the essence but then again an out of focus shot is a waste of time unless you wanted it that way.

Time will tell if it improves my focussing - not for everyone I suppose but then again we are all different and have our own ways of acheiving the same goal (perfection in our video shots).

Frank Granovski April 12th, 2004 01:49 AM

Quote:

Frank, you mean the "flip out" LCD?
Yes. But a better way of focusing in B&W would be with a high resolution B&W external monitor. :-))

Alan McCormick April 12th, 2004 01:57 AM

Thanks Frank but that is more money (when the pennies roll in I am sure we will get more kit).

The thing is there is always something else so priorities again.

Fully understand your point though.

James Chesterton April 12th, 2004 02:11 AM

It was however, pretty funny how Graham jumped on Robin with his cold water thing.

Graham Bernard April 12th, 2004 02:13 AM

Ah, British Irony! - Thanks for that James! . . . BAFTA comedy script coming up??!

Grazie

James Chesterton April 12th, 2004 02:50 AM

Nice one Grazie, I'll post the script when it is done!

Good tip with the viewfinder though, I'll use that.

Cheers!

Frank Granovski April 12th, 2004 03:19 AM

Alan, I have a B&W Sony monitor, and it didn't cost my even 1 penny. Someone put one out back beside the trash bin about 1/2 a block up. So I swallowed my pride, looked over both shoulders (and behind), then quickly grabbed it and placed it in my trunk. Pokey would have been proud.

Mind you, it's a heavy son of a---! :-))

PS: she works.

Frank Granovski April 12th, 2004 03:20 AM

I figure someone didn't want it, or the cable guy lost it. Who knows.

Graham Bernard April 12th, 2004 03:44 AM

LOL!