DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   No audio when GL2 plays tape recorded on Sony camera (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-gl-series-dv-camcorders/24525-no-audio-when-gl2-plays-tape-recorded-sony-camera.html)

Aldo Erdic April 13th, 2004 12:05 PM

No audio when GL2 plays tape recorded on Sony camera

I came across this a couple of times. Two of my friends have each edited a 5 minute piece using Final Cut Pro. They used "Print To Tape" to transfer the edited piece to miniDV, both using a Sony camera. When I tried to play the tape on my Cannon GL2, the video was ok but there was no audio. When I tried to capture it through Vegas Video, there was no video or audio showing on the capture preview screen and so i wasn't able to capture anything.

Oddly enough, I can play and capture the raw footage they recorded on their Sony cameras without any problems. So if it's not a compatability issue, why am I having trouble with the edited version? Is it related to Final Cut Pro settings?

Thanks for any input,
Aldo.

Don Palomaki April 13th, 2004 04:01 PM

If only material recorded via firewire from FCP to the Sonys does not playback, could be a FCP setting.

Can you capture the sound using a Sony for playback?

Aldo Erdic April 16th, 2004 02:17 PM

My friend came by last night with her Sony camera. The edited piece played fine on her Sony and I was able to capture from her Sony into Vegas Video without any problems. Once the capturing was completed, I tried to play the tape on my GL2 and again no audio. I did notice though that "16 bit" and "Stereo 1" was flashing on the GL2's monitor while the tape was playing. I changed the GL2's audio setting from 16 bit to 12 bit but it didn't make a difference.

Does anyone have any ideas, no matter how farfetched they may seem? If it is Final Cut Pro, what settings should my friend use?

Cheers,
Aldo.

Michael Connor April 16th, 2004 04:46 PM

what is the bit rate that the sony camera recorded it at would be the next question, or what did final cut pro output the audio as? Or is the gm2 set on one if the special audio modes it has that could possibly effect it. Am not sure...tricky one!?!!!

Don Palomaki April 16th, 2004 05:07 PM

Does audio play analog from the GL2 - that is can you hear it in headphones or from the analog output? Does your capture software have a "Canon" setting?

Ignacio Rodriguez April 16th, 2004 05:51 PM

Is it possible that for some strange reason the audio was printed to the Sony cam at the sampling rate of 44.1 Khz? It seems some cameras can handle this and some cannot. I tyhink I accidently this this once, don't remember if I was using FCP or premiere, but I managed to print audio at that samping rate. It worked with my camera (A PC3 at that time) but I did not check to see if it played on other cams.

Aldo Erdic April 16th, 2004 06:10 PM

I have no trouble capturing my own footage from the GL2. I no longer have the tape that has the edited piece. But when I was playing it on the GL2 there was no audio coming from the camera's built-in speaker and the audio meters were at zero (ie. weren't showing anything). I'll ask my friend about the sampling rate. What is the ideal sampling rate to use?

Ignacio Rodriguez April 16th, 2004 06:19 PM

48 KHz. You can use 32 KHz but the quality difference is noticably less.

Hagop Matossian May 9th, 2004 02:56 PM

I've also had this problem, outputting from FCP to a sony DV VTR, I think a DSR-20.

I thought at first that I had accidentally recorded the tape as DVCAM because it as well as above problems, no audio, flashing messages etc., the footage plays in slow motion

plays fine on a sony camera

???