No audio when GL2 plays tape recorded on Sony camera at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old April 13th, 2004, 12:05 PM   #1
Regular Crew

No audio when GL2 plays tape recorded on Sony camera

I came across this a couple of times. Two of my friends have each edited a 5 minute piece using Final Cut Pro. They used "Print To Tape" to transfer the edited piece to miniDV, both using a Sony camera. When I tried to play the tape on my Cannon GL2, the video was ok but there was no audio. When I tried to capture it through Vegas Video, there was no video or audio showing on the capture preview screen and so i wasn't able to capture anything.

Oddly enough, I can play and capture the raw footage they recorded on their Sony cameras without any problems. So if it's not a compatability issue, why am I having trouble with the edited version? Is it related to Final Cut Pro settings?

Thanks for any input,
Aldo.
Aldo Erdic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2004, 04:01 PM   #2
Wrangler

If only material recorded via firewire from FCP to the Sonys does not playback, could be a FCP setting.

Can you capture the sound using a Sony for playback?
Old April 16th, 2004, 02:17 PM   #3
Regular Crew

My friend came by last night with her Sony camera. The edited piece played fine on her Sony and I was able to capture from her Sony into Vegas Video without any problems. Once the capturing was completed, I tried to play the tape on my GL2 and again no audio. I did notice though that "16 bit" and "Stereo 1" was flashing on the GL2's monitor while the tape was playing. I changed the GL2's audio setting from 16 bit to 12 bit but it didn't make a difference.

Does anyone have any ideas, no matter how farfetched they may seem? If it is Final Cut Pro, what settings should my friend use?

Cheers,
Aldo.
Old April 16th, 2004, 04:46 PM   #4
Regular Crew

what is the bit rate that the sony camera recorded it at would be the next question, or what did final cut pro output the audio as? Or is the gm2 set on one if the special audio modes it has that could possibly effect it. Am not sure...tricky one!?!!!
Old April 16th, 2004, 05:07 PM   #5
Wrangler

Does audio play analog from the GL2 - that is can you hear it in headphones or from the analog output? Does your capture software have a "Canon" setting?
Old April 16th, 2004, 05:51 PM   #6
Contributor

Is it possible that for some strange reason the audio was printed to the Sony cam at the sampling rate of 44.1 Khz? It seems some cameras can handle this and some cannot. I tyhink I accidently this this once, don't remember if I was using FCP or premiere, but I managed to print audio at that samping rate. It worked with my camera (A PC3 at that time) but I did not check to see if it played on other cams.
Old April 16th, 2004, 06:10 PM   #7
Regular Crew

I have no trouble capturing my own footage from the GL2. I no longer have the tape that has the edited piece. But when I was playing it on the GL2 there was no audio coming from the camera's built-in speaker and the audio meters were at zero (ie. weren't showing anything). I'll ask my friend about the sampling rate. What is the ideal sampling rate to use?
Old April 16th, 2004, 06:19 PM   #8
Contributor

48 KHz. You can use 32 KHz but the quality difference is noticably less.
Old May 9th, 2004, 02:56 PM   #9
Woodyfang

I've also had this problem, outputting from FCP to a sony DV VTR, I think a DSR-20.

I thought at first that I had accidentally recorded the tape as DVCAM because it as well as above problems, no audio, flashing messages etc., the footage plays in slow motion

plays fine on a sony camera

???

Lighting Cameraman / Director / Producer / Music Producer / DJ / Web Designer / Visualist / Media Student / IT Tutor / Digital Artist

W00dy See, W00dy d00...
Hagop Matossian is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders