is this the new GL 2 ? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old June 27th, 2002, 03:23 PM   #16
Regular Crew

Agreed.

I have shot my GL-1 for our outdoor television program for almost 2 years now, and it is "THE" field camera, based on size, quality, durability (it has taken some punishment) and especailly the 20x lens. Couldn't have done some of the things I have done with the GL-1 with any other camera...or maybe I should say I wouldn't.

The improvements in the GL-2, which as Chris noted, mimick much of what was done with the XL-1S. That viewfinder just has me baffled. The darn thing was god-aweful small in the first place.

One spec I noticed that no one has talked about yet is the much decreased power consumption. Longer battery life for me is a BIG bonus in the field. Not too many chargers 30 miles out, and I can only carry so much gear and still stalk game with hunters.

> I would almost call this a purist's cam,
> instead of today's gadget garbage found
> in the consumer heap

I wish I would have said that. It is a great observation and hits the nail on the head.
Old June 27th, 2002, 03:42 PM   #17
Obstreperous Rex

Agree wholeheartedly with Frank's comments here.

Michael, I hope your entire state gets a massive 3-day downpour of rain. Wish we could have sent some of ours your way.

I just spent the last couple days presenting the GL2 at the Canon booth for DV Expo, and although I did peep through the EVF once or twice, most of the time we had the flip-out LCD screen open instead. I'll see if I can arrange a side-by-side GL1/GL2 comparison and note the EVF size difference. The EVF didn't really draw my attention so I didn't know to look for this difference.

There's a lot of very interesting stuff going on with this camera, going to throw some pages up shortly, but right now I just got home from almost a full month on the road and need to sleep it off a bit. Ever see "The Osbournes" on MTV? I feel kind of like Ozzy, the way he sort of shuffles around mumbling about something confusing, that's what it feels like to be me right now.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2002, 03:56 PM   #18
Regular Crew

Chris,

Thanks for the well wishes and hopes for rain. As we speak I am cutting together a segment I shot yesterday with our Game & Fish on the effects of the wildfires on wildlife. Initial reports are it isn't as bad as it could have been, with many patches of habitat left and able to support the game. Now, we still have to worry about the drought :(

To tell you the truth, I was so frustrated by the viewfinder on my GL-1 I went to shooting many times with the LCD, and I am sure that is what Canon designed the camera for. ( Try spotting a duck against a blue sky 150 yards up threw that thing.) So, it is not anything too important, just curious, so I can wait until you post your articles.

Get some sleep and take a couple days off for the Fourth.

look forward to your articles.

Haven't seen an MSRP or estimated street price. Anything released yet?

Thanks!
Old June 27th, 2002, 07:47 PM   #19
Obstreperous Rex

Unfortunately the MSRP will be somewhere between $2800 and $3000 -- much more than what I had expected.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders