Your GL2 advice at work...a new vid clip at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old April 24th, 2004, 08:07 AM   #1
New Boot

Your GL2 advice at work...a new vid clip

Hi All,
Although I got my GL2 about 3 weeks ago, I literally did not role tape with it until last weekend. I decided to shoot a colonial period reenactment along Battle Road in Concord, MA USA. I played around with ND filters, polarizer filters, auto/manual focus, exposure, and so on, base on the advice from all of you. My only regret was forgetting my tripod..oh, well.

I threw it together rather quickly into a two and a half minute movie just so I could watch the footage in some kind of format. I wish the battle sequence was longer, but it was difficult getting good footage while shooting around the hundreds of spectators. Overall it was a fun and valuable way to be introduced to the camera.

If you're interested, the address of the clip is: homepage.mac.com/pflug/iMovieTheater1.html

All the best...

Robert
Robert Pflugfelder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2004, 10:37 AM   #2
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

That's one fine "first effort"! Good narrative structure, good shot selections and framing, good music selection. I remained interested. Yes, it could use a longer battle sequence and perhaps an after-the-battle tail. But a fine effort, Robert. Bravo!

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2004, 11:57 AM   #3
Trustee

Very good, Robert.
You may be new to the camera, but your certainly not new to cameras!
You achieved good compositions and some good camera movements when you tracked with the soldiers.
There was a fine pace to the editing - you've obviously got the "feel" for it. It's almost an instinctive thing and not everybody will achieve it.
Well done again.

Robin.
Robin Davies-Rollinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2004, 12:18 PM   #4
Major Player

Looked nice. What stabiliser were you using?
Old April 25th, 2004, 11:35 AM   #5
New Boot

Hi again,
Thanks for the kind words. It was a great learning environment for shooting and seeing what the GL2 features could do. Richard, the GL2 spend the day on a Steadicam Jr. I didn't use it as a steadicam much, but it was perfect for all the marching shots. It was the first time I had used a steadicam at all, and although there was a big learning curve, I was reall happy with the initial results.
-Robert
Old April 25th, 2004, 12:47 PM   #6
Major Player

Congrats. For a first time using the junior, it was looking good.
Old April 25th, 2004, 02:36 PM   #7
Major Player

Excellent work, I've only been able to view about the first 40% of the clip due to some streaming issues, however excellent work.

Woudl you share with the group the settigng that you used, mode, frame etc.

Miguel
Miguel Lombana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2004, 03:39 PM   #8
Old Boot

Superb Robert! You are a natural! Framing and edit all had a sense of pace and drama. Please tell me your setting?

Best regards,

Grazie
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2004, 05:55 PM   #9
New Boot

Ah, the settings! I think I went through just about every setting the camera had. Since it was the first time using the camera, I spent the day just playing around with settings. Unfortunately, I also lost track of which settings I used when.

There was a circular polarizer on the entire shoot and the neutral density filter was in and out. All of the shots in the colonial life section were generally in auto (not green box) The soldiers (not redcoats) marching and preping for battle was shot using Barry Goyette's suggested presets (-1 sharpness, +1 color gain, +1 setup) They seemed a little "hot" to me and I will need to take another look. All of the battle footage was shot in Frame mode. I like the look. I also made some comparison shots for myself (a woman spinning yarn on a wheel in both frame mode and standard mode to compare) Perhpas I can post them.

Believe it or not, I did not adjust exposure at all becuase I never found the exposure adjustment wheel while shooting. I later found it at home - that thing is well hidden. While recorded sound wasn't a big part of my posted edit, I switched between the camera mic and a Sennheiser MKE300 that I borrowed. (The sennheiser wins big time)

If I remember any other specific settings, I'll post them. I hope that helps a little.

-Robert
Old April 25th, 2004, 11:36 PM   #10
Old Boot

. . very helpful indeed . .

Thanks Robert! You are THE Man! I believe there IS a way to show some of the settings from what you've filmed after the event . . don't know how "deep" it ges, but I understand well worth the trouble. Did you do any colour correction in post? - I don't think you mentioned this - yeah?

Great stuff . . I'm really considering a type of stabilzer for my own work . . sometmes having a tripod just gets .. in the way?

So . . .what next? Re-inactments of . . . Bull Run? D-Day Landings? The Greeks siege of Troy? The great Battles of Klingons and the Federation? . .. . .

Grazie
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2004, 06:04 AM   #11
Major Player

It's actually very easy, play your video and open the viewfinder, there is only 1 button on the inside of the compartment, press it and all settings as recorded are revealed. If the camera was at F8 and 1/60th it will tell you, I use it to guage what my cam is doing for night shots, I about freaked the other night when I shot some stuff and found it to be all grainy, the gain shot up to 18, killed my shot.
Old April 26th, 2004, 06:30 AM   #12
Major Player

Miguel,

I bet you were in Auto exposure, bad move.
Old April 26th, 2004, 12:40 PM   #13
Major Player

I was shooting in auto mode (not green mode) and typically shoot with the exposure lock at my fingertips the view was looking great in the viewfinder and my 35w light was at about 20 watts so there was ample, however the sucker fooled me! I just haven't had much time to shoot at night since I got my gear and this time I lost the battle, just wish it wasn't the bringing home from the hospital of my new little one ... either way, it's watchable just grainy.
Old April 26th, 2004, 01:07 PM   #14
Major Player

very true, better than nothing.
Good luck with the sleepless night ahead, at least you can do some editing etc ;)
Old April 28th, 2004, 06:30 AM   #15
New Boot

Looks good!

Well done
Clint Newman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders