viewfinder out of focus at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old April 26th, 2004, 12:18 PM   #1
Regular Crew

viewfinder out of focus

I just purchased a used gl1 and at first, I thought there was a problem with the camera not wanting to focus because everthing in the viewfinder was out of focus including the feedback info (ie. nd filter and manual/auto focus). Then I opened the lcd screen and everything was perfectly in focus. I haven't recorded any footage yet, but it looks like the problem is the viewfinder is out of focus. Occasionally, the viewfinder will come into focus but as soon as I move to another subject, that subject is out of focus. Has anyone heard of this problem or have any suggestions.
Gale Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2004, 12:49 PM   #2
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

1. Make sure you've fully extended the viewfinder. It telescopes a bit.

2. There is a dioptric adjustment just below the eyepiece. Use the text display to set the focal point for your eye.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2004, 12:57 PM   #3
Obstreperous Rex

See also "Adjusting the Viewfinder" on page 14 of your GL2 owner's manual. Hope this helps,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2004, 01:23 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Thanks for the info. This camera didn't come with a manual, but I went to the canon web-site and downloaded the manual. On page 82, it talks about adjusting the viewfinders focus.
Gale Smith is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders