DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   Ending the camera debate (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-gl-series-dv-camcorders/25373-ending-camera-debate.html)

Justin Montanino April 30th, 2004 04:30 PM

Ending the camera debate

Hi everyone,
I have a question for everyone. I have been looking into cameras exhaustively, but I want to get one last round-up of all of your opinions before making my first camera purchase. Here's my situation:

I work in the television industry, but on the producing side. My career as a producer is going perfectly fine, BUT I have no experience behind the camera myself. I want to get a camera, partially to shoot as a hobby, but more importantly as an investment of knowledge for my profession, and to help develop my visual aesthetic.

So. I don't need every bell and whistle and interchangeable lens imagineable, but I need something more than a camcorder. My budget is moderate (under $3000 let's say?). So far I am leaning towards the GL2, but wanted to know what you guys think would be best for someone in my situation.

Thanks in advance for any input!
Justin

Justin Montanino April 30th, 2004 04:32 PM

by the way, to amend what I wrote above. I realize that I posted this question in the GL2 forum, so the opinion will be skewed. But since I'm leaning towards the GL2 anyway I figure that's ok. Now, if everyone tries talking me out of the GL2 that would be another story...

thanks again!

Robin Davies-Rollinson April 30th, 2004 04:45 PM

Justin,
I too work in the tv industry as a drama director as well as a lighting cameraman (not at the same time - yet!) and use mostly Digibetas, but when it came to buy my own camera, I was in the same position as you. I chose the XM2 (GL2) and have never regretted it. I think that you'll find it an excellent investment and that it will give you a valuable tool for developing your understanding and skill of the "sharp end" of our trade.

Robin.

Frank Granovski April 30th, 2004 05:18 PM

Quote:

I don't need every bell and whistle and interchangeable lens imagineable, but I need something more than a camcorder. My budget is moderate (under $3000 let's say?)
A Panasonic DVC80? If you can still get one. The GL2 is a fine "camcorder" but has smaller CCDs and no XLRs.

If you want "more than a camcorder" you'll have to spend a lot more money.

Darko Flajpan April 30th, 2004 06:44 PM

Just go for the GL2, if you want to spend less money for good camera. DVC 80 is also excellent choice, but the price is higher than GL2. I also work in TV industry as a senior cameraman working with SX, and recently with IMX, but just in love with my XM2 (european version).

Bob Harotunian May 1st, 2004 10:53 AM

In my estimation, the GL2 will give you the most bang for the buck. Sure, there are many fine camcorders out there, but for the purposes you mentioned and your price range, the GL2 won't disappoint.

BTW, the GL2 works just fine as a pro camera. Just get a BeachTec adapter if you need XLRs. My only complaint...it's taking Canon to long to upgrade the GL2 to stay competitive. The next generation must have built in XLRs and at least 3 lux, preferably 1 lux capability.
Bob

Justin Montanino May 1st, 2004 03:19 PM

Thanks everyone, you guys are fast! In my original post when I mentioned that I wanted something more than a camcorder, I meant to write a basic, home video camcorder, but the point seemed to get across nonetheless.

I think Monday will be the big buying day for me. Stay tuned for my imminent follow-up question, "Now how do I use this damn thing?"

best wishes,
Justin

Frank Granovski May 1st, 2004 03:59 PM

Quote:

I meant to write a basic, home video camcorder
The GL2, PDX10 and PV-DV953 are good choices, but the GL2 will be better in lower light. Both the GL2 and PV-DV953 are also well-balanced and easy to grip. If you want good widescreen, consider the PDX10 and then the PV-DV953.