Similiar version of GL-2? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old August 8th, 2009, 10:37 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Similiar version of GL-2?

I'm debating if I should get my GL-2 fixed or buy a new one. I have researched every camcorder available and I can't find anything that fits my needs like the GL-2. The smaller camcorders have weak zooms and the ones that have the same zoom are twice the weight and usually more expensive. Does anyone anticipate a camcorder being released in the next year or so that will be similiar to the GL-2? I'm sure it will be HD, which is not a selling point to me at all, but if it has the same strong zoom and is not too heavy I'll buy it.

Thanks
Tony Marino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2009, 12:19 PM   #2
Wrangler

How about the Sony HVR-V1? Has 1/4" chips and a 20x zoom like your GL2: Sony Product Detail Page - HVRV1U

Cost is about $3,350: Sony | HVR-V1U HDV Camcorder | HVRV1U | B&H Photo Video

There is also a consumer version of the same camera, the FX7 which is basically the same minus some of the more advanced featues for about $2,000: Sony | HDR-FX7 3CMOS HDV 1080i Camcorder | HDRFX7 | B&H Photo
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2009, 04:29 PM   #3
Wrangler

For that price, consider the XH-A1 series an get the larger chips.

If I had to guess, and that is all it is, the GL2 is the end of the line for that class of SD camcorders from Canon.

WHen a replacement model will be releasd is anyone's guess, but it seems to me that the XH series was the next in the logical progression from the GL series from Canon.
Old August 9th, 2009, 11:38 PM   #4
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Palomaki View Post
For that price, consider the XH-A1 series an get the larger chips.

If I had to guess, and that is all it is, the GL2 is the end of the line for that class of SD camcorders from Canon.

WHen a replacement model will be releasd is anyone's guess, but it seems to me that the XH series was the next in the logical progression from the GL series from Canon.
That is what I was thinking. The GL series was the little brother to the XL series. Now the GL follow on is the XH-A1 for $3400. The follow on to the XL series is the XL-H1 for $5500.

The price point of the GL2 seems to have been abandoned by Canon though.
Jason Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2009, 03:53 AM   #5
Wrangler

> The price point of the GL2 seems to have been abandoned by Canon though.

Probably because the GL2 was still selling, and the XH series was also selling well. And the XH- series was a significant step up from the GL series. Last I knew, the GL2 is still an active canon product. It will probably stay in the product mix as long as there is a market for it.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders