GL-2 Audio Dropouts - AGAIN! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old May 22nd, 2004, 12:52 PM   #1
Regular Crew

GL-2 Audio Dropouts - AGAIN!

Hi,
I bought a GL-2 as soon as they came out in Toronto, Canada and for the first wedding season, I've been using Sony MiniDV tapes. For some reason (don't know if its tapes or what), I've began experiencing audio dropout to the point where I've spent as much time removing those dropout as editing the wedding itself. After the season was over, I took the camera to Canon service and they replaced the recording unit, under warranty. They had to do it twice because I was getting the EJECT TAPE message as soon as it came back from the shop.

Anyway, thinking that everything was fixed the second time around, I took it on a shoot 2 weeks ago and sure enough, the audio drop-outs are there!!! I'm now using Panasonic tapes ONLY (AY-DVM63PQ). I also used the 80 min tape (DVM80) but that one seems to be fine (no dropouts).

The camera is now out of warranty. What are my options? If I take it to service, will these "technicians" fix this? Is anyone else having this problem?

Wedding season is quickly approaching and I need to have a trouble-free camera.

Any advice is appreciated.

Robert Dombaj
Robert Dombaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2004, 12:58 PM   #2
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Are you only using the onboard mic for recording audio?

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2004, 04:18 PM   #3
Outer Circle

Robert, why didn't you just go with Fuji miniDV tape? Most people trying this and that usually go through what you're still going through and eventually end up with Fuji. :-))

http://www.dvfreak.com/tape.htm
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2004, 04:30 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Hi,
yes, I'm using the on-board audio. Although I plan to purhcase a wireless system soon (either Sennheiser G2 or Sony's unit) and maybe a shotgun.

I would gladly switch to Fuji tapes. Does anyone know where I can get them in bulk? I've found them @ Loblaws but they're like $15.00 for 2 tapes.

Should I try Canon service again?

Robert
Old May 22nd, 2004, 04:33 PM   #5
Outer Circle

Robert, try http://www.dvshop.ca or Super Store. London Drugs also has them on sale every month but I'm not sure if T.O. has London Drugs.
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2004, 05:53 PM   #6
New Boot

Robert,

I'm having the same problem. Shot a dance recital last weekend and lost audio 4 times for about 1/2 second. Video was also affected in two of those cases for the same time period.

I was using a Fuji 80 minute DVC along with the DM-50 mic. I'm hoping this was a tape problem perhaps related to using an 80 minute tape. Will use a Fuji 60 min DVC on my next shoot and see if it still happens.

Jim
Jim Painter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2004, 01:24 PM   #7
Major Player

If you need help in isolating the problem you should connect the cam to a monitor with sound and listen to the sound on the monitor. If the audio breaks up on the monitor while you are turning, tilting and panning the cam (don't just let it sit there) then you have an onboard mic problem; not a tape problem.

I always use Panasonic brand tape. Your cam when new should have given you a message on the display that you should use a tape cleaner; I think they all do than when brand new after a short break in period. When was the last time you used a cleaning cassette?
Bill Hardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2004, 06:13 PM   #8
Regular Crew

"If you need help in isolating the problem..."

Hm, that's an interesting suggestion, I never thought of that. I will try that tonight. Although the drop-outs are always one frame long (or short). When I was using Sony tapes, the audio in the last 2-4 minutes of the tape was just horrible - so many drops that it sounded distorted.

After reading many posts on this, it seems most people are steering away from Sony tapes and favour Panasonic. As I wrote in my first message, the Panasonic AY-DVM63PQ gave me dropouts, while the different model 80 min. tape did not. Strange. I think I will take the camera to Canon service and demand to speak to a service technician to ask what the hell is going on.

I know my case is not isolated. There are many more GL-2 users with this problem.

(could I have an audio "lemon"?)

Oh, I will try buying Fuji tapes as well. Who knows, maybe each camera has a preferance.

Robert D.
Old May 24th, 2004, 08:52 AM   #9
Major Player

As you propably know, very few companies will repair a cam that plays back distorted video/audio in LP mode; in fact they can put a disclaimer in the manual. I take it for granted you are running in SP mode. If you are that cam needs to be repaired or replaced. There is no reason for a cam to be that sensitive to tape when running in SP mode.
Bill Hardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2004, 09:07 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Hi Bill,
Yes, I'm running SP mode. I've never even considered running LP on the GL-2. I was referring to the Panasonic 80 min tape, forgot the model number.

Now that my camera is out of warranty, I wonder how Canon will resolve this. As a backup, the camera was purchased with my Visa Gold card and they extend any warranties by a year.

Robert D.
Robert Dombaj is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders