Various GL1 / XM1 questions - Page 11 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old May 11th, 2002, 05:17 AM   #151
Wrangler

Believe that Sony added a filter. Actually, it was not a true x-ray vision. One coud see outlines of undergrments if the outer wear was of a fabric that was relatively transparent to IR (e.g., some synthetics). The few samples I saw posted were not impressive. If that is one's thing, better to visit the nearby adult video store, buy a tape that fits one's kinks, capture desired footage into the NLE, and filter it to give the "night-vision" look.
Don Palomaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2002, 01:32 AM   #152
patro_sg

XM-1 (GL-1) inputs

I am almost about to buy the XM-1 here in Singapore, but am wondering if the camera has an RCA jack input? I'd like to copy footage from a VHS tape onto DV and put it in my computer. I've heard there are no such inputs, which I find hard to believe.

If not, how can I get this VHS footage onto DV? There must be a way with this camera.

Thanks

PATRO
Old May 13th, 2002, 07:08 AM   #153
slas_swe

From what I've heard only the NTSC GL-1 can convert analog-in to dv, not the PAL XM-1. Strange...very strange...
Old May 13th, 2002, 03:05 PM   #154
New Boot

The PAL version donīt have analog-in because of the EUC Tax-policy at the time XM1 arrived.

Kjeld
Kjeld Smed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2002, 09:14 PM   #155
patro_sg

BUT SINGAPORE'S NOT IN THE EU!!!!

So what solution is there if I need to get some VHS footage into my computer? I guess I have to have a capture card with analog inputs.

Can anybody offer any other solutions?

Thanks,

PATRO
Old May 14th, 2002, 12:22 AM   #156
New Boot

Hi Patro,

Take a look at The Son of Watchdog GL1-411.com. I think one had made changes to his XM1 in some way.
You could get a Dazzle Holywood DV Bridge Analog/Digital Converter or
JVC HR-DV s3(0) MiniDV-VHS deck.

Kjeld
Kjeld Smed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2002, 12:45 AM   #157
patro_sg

Thanks a lot.

Would a more cost-effective solution be just to buy a capture card with not only the firewire plug but analog inputs?

In other words, what extra capabilities would I gain from buying a Dazzle Holywood DV Bridge Analog/Digital Converter or
JVC HR-DV s3(0) MiniDV-VHS deck (that I wouldn't get with a capture card with both digital and analog inputs).

-PATRO
Old May 14th, 2002, 07:31 AM   #158
Regular Crew

XM-1...

How much do u pay for the Canon Xm-1 in Singapor??
In $.....
Marius Svendsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2002, 07:33 AM   #159
Regular Crew

Used XM-1?!

Hello, Im looking for a used Canon Xm-1 or broken if can be fixed easy.
I pay all shipping to Norway, no stress:)
Also have stuff to trade....
Marius Svendsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2002, 08:48 AM   #160
Trustee

I posted an answer to this in the PAL and NTSC thread.
Adrian Douglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2002, 11:14 AM   #161
Regular Crew

There is one for sell on Eday now.
www.katanapro.com
Marcus Farrar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2002, 06:25 PM   #162
patro_sg

Here in Singapore, the XM-1 is around US $1700 with the warranty and all standard accessories (battery and I'm not sure what else).

But for about US $1400-1500 it wouldn't come with the warranty, and probably not the battery or anything else at all.

-PATRO
Old May 15th, 2002, 07:59 PM   #163
HVproductions

Live recording

I need suggestions on how to record a live band, I've gotten the optics down, and the gl1's onboard mic is horribly overdriven with bass and overall sounds terrible in smaller venues. How should I go about getting quality live audio? Thanks in advance, Max
Old May 15th, 2002, 11:14 PM   #164
Trustee

Where to get secondhand XL1s/XM1's in Australasia

Hi all, there are some Kiwis and Aussies on here and I was wondering if any of you know where a good place in either country is to get cameras from, preferably secondhand? I'd love a second hand xl1s, but even an XM1 would be ok.

Cheers
Aaron
Aaron Koolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2002, 06:13 AM   #165
Capt. Quirk

How much you got to spend? You could try running everything from their amp into the camera using an attenuator. That whould be the cheapest. You might spend $20 or $30 on adapters and stuff.
I use a Korg D12 as my audio recorder, which was about $1000. I can either run it into the amp or house board, or if all else fails, run mics into it.
K. Forman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders