Various GL1 / XM1 questions - Page 12 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old May 16th, 2002, 02:23 PM   #166
Wrangler

As a first step, try the MIC ATT setting. That should help with the saturation of the inputs and overdriving the AGC, at least to SPL of around 125 dB or so.

Beyond that , you will need a quality mic to cope with live rock band sound levels. One that tha reach over 125 dB SPC with low distortion. Many modest priced condensor shotguns pass the 1% harmonic distortion level under 120 dB SPL.
Don Palomaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2002, 05:08 PM   #167
HVproductions

I would generally like to go the cheapest route, but if needed I will save some bucks for equipment because the sound I have so far is simply horrid. Alot of the set ups are quite shoddy and there is no PA to run a line from, so basically I need some type of mic system. Im no audio expert and have no clue what direction to go in and with how much money. thanks.
Old May 16th, 2002, 05:39 PM   #168
Obstreperous Rex

I would like to get more of you guys down under on board here. Try posting a want-to-buy ad in the Private Classifieds forum.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2002, 09:00 AM   #169
Regular Crew

GL-1 low sale price

Greetings

I am about to purchase a GL-1 to compliment my XL-1 on video shoots. I was searching around for a good deal and came across a site way lower than the rest http://www.bwayphoto.com/.

Has anyone had any bad run ins with Broadway Photo or is this just a good deal. They are advertising for $1350, and when you add in the Canon $250 rebate you have $1100. That's almost to good to be true.

Any suggestions.
www.katanapro.com
Marcus Farrar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2002, 09:26 AM   #170
Obstreperous Rex

Howdy from Texas,

Stay far, far away from that place. It's a bait and switch rip-off. Generally, if the price seems to good to be true, then it is.

See my post about this in the XL1 forum:
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?s=&threadid=22

Consider making your purchase from my sponsors who support these boards, making it possible for you to use them to ask these sorts of questions.

Three of my sponsors can get a GL1 for you: Pro-Tape, ZGC and Zotz Digital. Go to my site at www.dvinfo.net and click on "sponsors." The GL1 has a factory rebate of $250 and these dealers will help facilitate that. Hope this helps,

Old May 21st, 2002, 10:01 AM   #171
Wrangler

As Chris says stay away from them, and go for a reputable dealer like the sponsors who bring you this wonderful site.

There was another discussion about Broadway photo, on another thread:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?s=&threadid=278

All the best in your search,

Ed Smith
Ed Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2002, 01:45 PM   #172
jeffyr163

I called Broadway

I called Broadway. I asked about the camera being "grey" market and they avoided the question twice. Turns out if the camera were any darker grey it would be black........sold without battery or any accessories. And guys were not pleasant to deal with at all. They were way overpriced on a MACK warranty too.
I have always dealt with B&H for photography gear , but they are charging us NJ people taxx now, so I called Zots and was very happy with the conversation I have with them. I have not ordered yet, but am leaning toward doing it soon and will call zots again.

jeffyr
Old May 21st, 2002, 07:13 PM   #173
tkeeler33

GL1 Accessories

Hello,

I think i'm ready to plunge into GL1 market! I've tried reading as much as I can, and making the "right" decision to purchase a DV camcorder. So anyways... I'm looking for some final suggestions and tips from you GL1 users, as far as what accessories to purchase. I'd like to use the GL1 to make movie shorts, and possibly some event films, such as weddings, sporting events, etc...

I'm planning on purchasing a GL1 with the following accessories:
- Bogen/Manfrotto 3221 w/either the 3063 or 3130 micro fluid head
- Spare batteries and tapes (of course)
- UV filters (suggestions on brands? I was thinking crystal optics)
- Upgrade the mic (suggestions?)
- XLR adapter (need suggestions here! :) )
- A decent carrying bag (?)

Hmm, I'd love any suggestions and pricing for the above along with any other accessories you guys can recommend.

What do you guys think about Wide angle lenses, shoulder harnesses, etc... Are they useful at all? If so, in what type of conditions?

Oh yeah, in the future I'd love to get an underwater housing for the GL1, so I can take it scuba diving in Belize!! :-p

Thanks guys, I'd appreciate all the info I can get!

-Tim

p.s. - Oh yeah, The pricing seems good for th
Old May 22nd, 2002, 08:49 AM   #174
Regular Crew

Any place I can call or write to order the Canon Xm-1(GL-1)...I need PAL since I live in Europe.
Need a good price too.
Marius Svendsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2002, 10:11 AM   #175
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

For what it's worth, Zotz Digital is a good shop. I purchased my first XL1 from them.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2002, 12:57 PM   #176
Obstreperous Rex

In my opinion the most valuable tool you can get, especially when doing any type of tripod work, is a remote lens controller. I have several reviews on my sites at www.dvinfo.net and www.dvinfo.net/xl1.htm for various controllers from VariZoom, and Don Palomaki submitted one about the Canon ZR1000. All will work with the GL1. These things are worth their weight in gold in my opinion and I'll never shoot without one. Check 'em out.

Old May 22nd, 2002, 02:37 PM   #177
Wrangler

Consider the 501 head (3433). it is better than either the 3130, 3160, or the 3063 for a few dollars more.

The Studio One Pro is probably a slightly the better XLR adapter (relative to the Beachtek). But ergonomics of cable attachment may be important to you.

The Sennheiser ME66 is a popular and high quality external shotgun mic. But do you need stereo? If so, check the AT-822, it can plug directly into the GL1, or the AT825 that uses XLR conectors.

For weddings a wireless mic is more valuable than a good shotgun mic. Consider the UHF multi frequency diversity models. Samson for one at a moderate price point.

Attach filters only when you need to. They can add stray reflections and collect dirt that can show up in the video when shooting at a small aperture.
Don Palomaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2002, 08:51 AM   #178
anand_k_nair

Hi, This is my first message as I just joined the group and my GL 1 is on its way from B&H NY. I saved the tax by shipping it to Rhode Island .
I escaped from the Broadway deal of 1350 after I called them and found out the price is after the $250 rebate and with no accessories !!! That is , if you add up the price for all accessories which comes with the price it exceeds the sales price of any authorised dealer !
Old May 28th, 2002, 09:59 AM   #179
Regular Crew

I have read a lot or reviews about this company and most of them are negative. They confirm what everyone is saying in the thread. Thanks for the heads up on this one. I will be going with a more reputable company. I called Broadway Photo myself. The sales person gave me the accesory spill. Can you believe they don't even send a lens cap with the advertised Gl-1. Please that company is a big rip off. You can not get the rebate with that item and it dose not come with the factory warrenty. I had to call and check it out myself just to see for myself. I am glad I did not order with them.
www.katanapro.com
Marcus Farrar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2002, 04:07 PM   #180
New Boot

which wide angle for GL-1

Hi,

Which wide angle adap. should I get for my GL-1? Tx,
Aren.
arenhansen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders