Various GL1 / XM1 questions - Page 18 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old March 6th, 2003, 09:35 AM   #256
Wrangler

Yes, if it's in good shape, that's a fairly good price.
I find Ebay prices on electronics tend to be lower than what things sell for in a local market. People tend to pay less for expensive stuff they can't buy in person.
Old March 6th, 2003, 09:43 AM   #257
Wrangler

I'd say 250 hours means it is fairly well used. I don't know if I'd pay $1200 for one with that many hours, as used GL1's have become considerably cheaper since the GL2 was released. I'm pretty sure I've seen GL1's with less than 100 hours selling for a similar price. I'd rather pay $1400 for a GL1 with 50 hours than $1200 for one with 250.
Old March 6th, 2003, 09:47 AM   #258
Inner Circle

Well I've tried the Optex 0.3x single element aspheric on my VX2000 (also has a 58mm filter thread). I was disappointed with the price but most of all with the barrel distortion. If it's worth grinding aspherical surfaces, surely it's worth removing the barrel distortion? If not, we'll all use spherical elements and save ourselves a lot of money, thank you very much.

The Century is very expensive but makes no pretence about distortion, selling itself on the fish-eye look. I have a Raynox 0.66x converter and that is one of the very best (and least distorting) wide-angles I have, though it's too mild an optic for you I'd guess.

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2003, 03:28 PM   #259
Regular Crew

thanks dylan.

i like to err on the ULTRA cautious side when i buy used gear. actually, if it has moving parts, i generally won't buy it used. i take immaculate care of my gear and i know not everybody does. i guess i would agree with your logic about paying more for one with less hours. i should just admit that i'll probably end up springing for a new GL2, 'cause that's the way i am.

thanks for the reply!

ryan
Ryan Martino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2003, 07:33 PM   #260
Trustee

250 hours is like 250 tapes put through it-

If it were 250 hours with a tapeless solution- it wouldn't be that bad.....but 250 tapes through it is alot- transports will have taken some wear

....that's 24 hrs a day on constantly for 10.4 days!

For $1199- order a Panasonic EZ50 from B&H
3CCD cam new at that price.

Good luck.
Old March 6th, 2003, 10:44 PM   #261
Tourist

thanks for the feedback tom i really appreciate it,
Alex Cristescu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2003, 01:11 PM   #262
Tourist

GL1 Hot Pixel--Mack Warranty

I have a GL1 that is a little over a year old. It has developed a very large white spot in the lower left part of the screen. The edges of the spot have a slight flicker to them. It appears that several adjacent pixels "died." I have an extended warranty through Mack--has anyone had any experience with them? How long might it take to get it fixed and returned? Could the symptom I described be caused by something else? Is there anything I should know or do before sending the camera off?Thanks.

Les
Les Hull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2003, 01:39 PM   #263
Obstreperous Rex

The problem is correctable at Canon Service. As for how long it will take, that's really up to the Mack warranty. Please let us know how the procedure goes. Best of luck,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2003, 05:04 PM   #264
Hawaiian Shirt Mogul

guessing 4-6 weeks for repair if you have to send it to mack and then mack subs the work out to canon ...

3-4 weeks if send direct to canon and you pay for it ...

my GL took 3 months but that was the fault of the repair place .. they were paid by the GE extended service within 1 week of looking at camera ( they then sub-contracted the worked out to canon) but they didn't pay canon till 2 months later ...
Don Donatello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2003, 11:36 AM   #265
Tourist

GL1 Upgrade to GL2 Sensor?

I just bought a used GL1 with a hot pixel in the sensor. I have to send it into Canon for repair. Does anyone know if Canon can upgrade the sensor to the GL2 sensor for improved low light abilities?
Richard Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2003, 12:46 PM   #266
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Richard,
I assume that by "sensor" you mean the CCD block. No, Canon will replace your GL1's CCD with the same model of CCD. The GL2's is different and incompatible with the GL1's.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2003, 06:29 PM   #267
Inner Circle

Okay, I know I'm dreaming, but wouldn't it be great if you could? I'd love to have a camera that I could ugrade in pieces, adding a better viewfinder, CCDs, and mike without having to hang a bunch of ridiculous looking accessories all over. I guess its the same reason they make cars more and more disposable. There's more money in selling a new one than selling parts.
Marco Leavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2003, 09:58 PM   #268
New Boot

Connecting 2 lapel mics to gl1

Can you connect 2 lapel mics to the mic input on the gl1 with some kind of adapter? I'm looking for the cheap way to do this so i'm not interested in the xlr connector box. Thanx much in advance.
-Kris
Kris Durkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2003, 11:45 PM   #269
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

What mics are you planning to use?

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2003, 03:06 AM   #270
Regular Crew

Kris, I would assume that your lapel mics are mono. I am also guessing that the mic input on the GL1 is a stereo minijack. With a simple adapter from 2 female mono minijacks to one male stereo minijack you should be able to get one mic in each stereo channel. I am sure you can get such an adapter in Radio Shack or equivalent.

Is this what you meant?

Hans Henrik
Hans Henrik Bang is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders