Various GL1 / XM1 questions - Page 21 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old December 18th, 2003, 12:54 PM   #301
Tourist

Which reminds me that I forgot to mention that the GL1 and the PD150 were manually white balanced to the same white target prior to the show.
Old January 27th, 2004, 07:33 PM   #302
Tourist

gl1 and mosaic-like noise on tape- HELP!

I returned from vacation and I have mosaic -like noise on playback of a panasonic DV tape. I cleaned the playback head and I now realize that the problem is with the video tape after checking the playback on other tapes. Is there a professional method of "cleaning" this tape?
Nate Bram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2004, 08:34 PM   #303
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

No. If the footage has been corrupted during recording due to contamination on the camera's heads (most likely) it's just gone. Sorry.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2004, 03:52 PM   #304
Tourist

GL1 - Viewfinder problem - please help

I took out my GL1 (Euro model XM1 actually) today after not using it for a few months (everything worked fine last time I used it). There is a problem with the viewfinder/LCD screen. The camera is not detecting that the screen has been shut, and therefore does not switch the LCD off and the viewfinder on. I can tell this is the case because I know that normally if you close the screen almost all the way you can see it switch off, which is not happening now. If I turn the screen right around to face the subject, the viewfinder comes on as normal, so it's definately the hardware that detects the screen being closed that is faulty.

So, is there anythign I can try before taking it to be repaired, or would I risk messing it up even more?

Thanks.
Lorne Cameron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2004, 04:28 PM   #305

It's been a while since I've had a GL1, but I suspect that the basic lcd mechanics have not changed with the GL2. The switch that enables/disables the lcd is not user-accessible. You'll have to send the camera for service if it does not fix itself.

Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

Old February 16th, 2004, 12:06 PM   #306
Inner Circle

Line in on GL1?

Lately I've been wondering about the "line in attenuator" listed in the menu of the GL1. The manual isn't much help, but does mention that it is for use when dubbing from a VCR. Is there any way to record audio using the line in when shooting regular footage? Would there be any advantage to this?
Marco Leavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2004, 02:52 PM   #307
Regular Crew

I have used this setting when feeding sound from the line-out of a public address system so I could pick up the audio directly without a separate microphone. This basically allows you to input a "high-level" audio signal into the microphone mini-jack without overpowering the circuitry.

Since the mini-jack is a stereo input, you will probably need a Y-connector to split such a mono signal to feed both left and right channels into a stereo mini-plug (I did). I assume, without having tried it, that a mono-plug would short one channel.
Larry Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2004, 03:30 AM   #308
Major Player

Have an opportunity for GL1

Hi, I see that on ebay I can get a GL1 in used but good condition for about $1,000. I have about $1250 saved up. Do you think I should go for a used GL1, PV-DV953, or save for something else?

Thanks
Riley Harmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2004, 07:23 AM   #309
Trustee

Riley,

That's not a bad price if it is in really good or mint condition. I have had my GL1 for 2.5 years now and although I was never really impressed with its construction I have always been pleased with the image quality. I know it's pretty tough shelling out a grand for something you can't put your hands on and try out but that's pretty much how it is if you want it cheap. I would be asking the seller a lot of questions like how many hours on it, if it has ever had tape dropouts or tracking problems, if it has every been factory serviced etc. The sellers response and attitude may give you some better insight as to what you are bidding on. Also check this forum since I have seen a few for sale.

Best of luck

Mark Williams
Mark Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2004, 11:26 AM   #310

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...&threadid=6819

Old March 20th, 2004, 01:08 PM   #311
Regular Crew

Yes, we all know about the eBay link...however if you are smart its EXTERMELY easy to spot these people and scam artists. I got a GL1 for $860, resold it for $1125 so I'd say $1000 is a good deal especially if it comes with the original accessories (the older the cams get...the less original accessories they tend to come with).
Tim Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2004, 03:26 PM   #312
Major Player

i think im going to get a pv-dv953 and save a tad bit more and get a glidecam 2000
Riley Harmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2004, 07:57 AM   #313
New Boot

GL1 Firewire problems

Hi all,

Recently my GL1 Firewire port stopped communicating with my PC. I tried another device to the PC and it communicated well.

Contaced Canon they wanted $900 to replace the board.. Kind os steep considering the age of the camera.

What I want to know is if anyone else has had this problem and is there a less expensive way to repair it. Apart from getting a cheap DV cam to capture with or a deck maybe someone knows what can be done.

Thanks
in Advance

Dan
Dan Naygeboren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2004, 10:06 AM   #314
Regular Crew

Had a similiar problem with a Sony camera and it ended up being a connector problem on the camera. Try a different firewire cable or slightly adjust the current cable by flexing ever so slightly while in the camera to see if that is it. I wouldnt send the camera in for repair at the current repair price. Sell it as a 'studio only' camera on ebay.
Hank Freeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2004, 07:40 PM   #315
Tourist

Used XM1: Good deal?

Hey everybody

I'm writing from the cold wasteland that is Iceland (only plusses being Bjork, Sigurros and PAL).

I don't have alot of expirience working with video (at least not in practice), but have had the plesure of working with 3 different kinds of 3 CCD cameras: The Sony PD100a, PD150 and the Canon XM1 on various short film projects.

I preferred the XM1 over the PD100 but found the PD150's resolution to be superior (although I preferred the XM's color reproduction over all of them).

I have now been offered to buy the XM1 for a relatively low price of 80.000 icelandic kronas (around $1000). The camera is in good condition. It opnly has about 50 hours on its head and looks realatively unscathed except for a dent in the casing of the built in micraphone (which otherwise works fine) and one dead green pixel on the LCD screen (doesn't display in the recordings). I loved the images that I got out of it but the only thing that really bugged me was the lack of XLR inputs. I was shooting an Interview-docu thing and it was farily annoying to be lumbering around with a phantom power mixer for the microphone work.
I will mostly be using the camera for short film and documentary work so the XLR inputs are pretty important.

The problem with living on an island (espeially this island) are the ridiculously high customs and generally high pricing of electronics. So the going rate for DV cameras is alot higher here than on mainland europe and in the US (A new PD150 going at over $5000, the DVX is similar) so the only sane choise is to bend the law and get them from mainland europe.
I've had my eye on the DVX100EA (is the advanced pal veriosn out yet?) but am now having second thougts about it.

Should I go throught the extra hassle and price to get the DVX100EA from europe (probably could get it for about $3800) or should is this XM1 deal any good for a 2 year old camera with few hours on it? can I get an XLR adapter for the XM1? are they pricey?

Or should I maybe get a XM2 from the ariport dutyfree for $2250?
Hrafn Jonsson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders