Various GL1 / XM1 questions - Page 30 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old April 22nd, 2006, 12:17 AM   #436
New Boot

Hi Tim,

Thanks for repling. I looked into what you mentioned. I unscrewed two screws at the at the very begining of the eyepiece towards the bottom hoping to remove the rubber eyepiece and giving me access to the top portion of the eyepiece. No success. The rubber eyepiece of the viewfinder will not come off. Any other ideas?
Old June 2nd, 2006, 02:22 PM   #437
New Boot

Shooting short films on GL1

Is the GL1 a good camera to shoot short "films" or am I better off saving for another camera such as the DVX100B? As far as I can tell the GL1 does not have 24p capability - how much weight should I put on that? Thanks for any comments.
AJ Handegard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2006, 03:34 PM   #438
Inner Circle

Depends on the budget...

If you have the budget, of course a DVX100A or B will be better, but the camera is more expensive and is much newer too...

The GL1 NTSC doesn't have a 24p ability, only a frame mode, which is 30p.
Mathieu Ghekiere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2006, 11:04 PM   #439
Inner Circle

AJ,

Search this site, there are examples of short style footage, it is quite amazing what can be done with a gl2!!!
with a bigger budget you can get an xl2 and have all kinds of options!!!
Old June 6th, 2006, 01:28 PM   #440
Major Player

The GL1 is more good enough. Its 30f image is pretty nice. Although, honestly, I suppose if the story fit the format you could shoot on an old VHS camcorder.
Eric Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2006, 08:06 AM   #441
Regular Crew

Can I test my XM1 for colour accuracy?

Hello,

Sorry i don't mean to hog this forum but I have so many questions and you are all rather helpful!

I am not convinced that my Camera is showing colours properly. I have had it serviced recently and they changed the heads/drum assembly (and hopefully calibrated it) however all my footage seems to looks dull and lifeless. I think it should have more colour to it.

As the camera doesn't have a test signal built in and I don't have any fancy test pattern cards does anybody know how I might do a simple test to see if it is roughly ok?

Thanks in advance.

Alex
Alex Wren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2006, 10:33 AM   #442
Regular Crew

i do it by eye to be honest, but make sure saturation is turned up first, or do some boosting in post.
Old July 11th, 2006, 08:03 PM   #443
Regular Crew

GL1 Device Control?

Umm, yeah. I was just wondering if there is any device control setting on the GL1, as I couldn't find one. I know the GL2 and the XL series cams have this feature, but I have been unable to find it on the GL1, so am I correct in assuming it simply doesn't have it? My situation is this. I use a Firestore FS-4 to record tapeless, but would like to use the Stop/Start button on the GL1 to initiate the Start/Stop on the FS-4. Without Device Control on the GL1, is this possible?

Sorry if this doesn't belong in this forum, but I thought this was the most fitting place to ask.

Thanks

"On a long enough timeline the survival rate for everyone drops to zero." - Tyler Durden
Brian Fischer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2006, 08:44 PM   #444
Wrangler

Hi Brian,

Sorry, the GL1 and XL1 do not have device control. That feature came starting with the XL1s. So I'm afraid you are stuck with manually starting and stopping your Firestore unit with that camera.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2006, 02:36 PM   #445
New Boot

Cost Benifit of repairing GL1

Hi,
I have owned a used GL1 for over five years (I'm guessing the camera has almost 8 years of usage under its belt) I recently encountered massive amounts of artifacting and pixel shifting that seemed linked to motion (both camera motion and object motion). I also noticed that after recording, the tapes had a slight concave that had not previously existed. While the GL1 is my back up camera (my primary camera is a GY HD 100) I wanted to repair it or replace it promptly. I sent the GL1 to Canon and asked them to take a look at it and give me a repair cost estimate. The e-mailed me back and told me that a repair would cost about $600.00.

I have been very happy with my GL1 but I am wondering if $600 would be better spent upgrading. After 8 years can I expect the camera’s other parts to function reliably for another few years after a repair? Should I repair or should I upgrade to a GL2?

Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

-Michael Anderson
Michael Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2006, 05:01 PM   #446
Inner Circle

Maybe save up some money and go for a maybe slight used GL2?
Mathieu Ghekiere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2006, 11:36 AM   #447
Major Player

24P fr DVX100-Playback on a GL1?

Does anyone know if you take a tape shot on the DVX100 in 24P and put it in a GL1 for capturing into a computer, if it will work? Any problems with this?

Thanks!

Kevin
Kevin Wild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2006, 12:51 PM   #448
Major Player

Yes. It will work. No problem. 1's and 0's.

The DVX inserts pulldown when it writes to tape, so the 24p will look like regular old 29.97i to the Canon.
Old August 12th, 2006, 11:45 AM   #449
Regular Crew

is all dv cam capable of playing back 24p
do you have any loss in quality
Nate Fields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2006, 01:57 PM   #450
Major Player

Dv is DV is DV is DV is DV. The data format is the same no matter whether it was shot on a $4000 XL2 or a $300 ZR-25. NTSC DV is 30 fps interlaced, 720X480, @ 25mbps. It will play back on any DV camera, regardless of the frame rate, aspect ratio, etc. that it was shot at, and with zero loss of quality.

Cameras (like the DVX100 and XL2) that can shoot other frame rates and aspect ratios basically work by taking the 24p data and fitting it into a 60i stream, because that's all the DV specification allows. Since all DV is technically exactly the same as far as any camera or playback device is concerned, you can play it back on any camera, no matter where or how you shot it.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders