Various GL1 / XM1 questions - Page 31 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old August 16th, 2006, 10:52 AM   #451
Major Player

Used GL1 prices

Hoping this is the right place for this question.

What would you (folks) say is a decent price on a used GL1? I'm seeing them average $1000 on ebay. I found one locally for $1400. I haven't seen any used at any retail stores.

Doesn't the local one seem a bit high priced? If all other things were equal (extra equipment, usage hours, condition), what is a reasonable price?

I ask because I'm looking to get one, not sell one, by the way.
Lisa Shofner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2006, 12:03 PM   #452
Inner Circle

I don't know what the market rate is, but I wouldn't pay nickel over $800, and it would have to be in excellent condition.
Marco Leavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2006, 08:10 AM   #453
Regular Crew

Keep the price under $1K

I would suggest when buying a used GL1 that you keep your budget under $1000.00. I agree that if the camera itself is in excellent condition then $800.00 is a limit, but if accessories are being offered then pick them up to.

Chad
Chad Ream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2006, 10:49 AM   #454
Regular Crew

there two for sale locally where i am one at 900 one at 950 and thats in canadian dollars...
again based on actual condition its hard to juge but the one at 1400 unless its fully loaded with extras sounds high
concidering if you look around enough you can probably find an XL1 for about 17-1800 US
hope this helps
Mekhael Trepanier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2006, 07:01 PM   #455
Major Player

Thanks everyone

Just wanted to say thank you to everyone who replied to this thread. You guys really saved me a lot of money. I actually stumbled across a camera today on craigslist locally and after checking it out (ffwd, rwd, play, record, playback on tv, sound), i went ahead and purchased it for $400.

Didn't come with manuals (but i downloaded those already). I'm not sure what all was missing from the original oem equptment, but no original box. The camera seems to work great though, and the guy i got it from said he shot less then 20 hours on it.

Thanks again for saving me $1000 !

~ Lisa
Old August 22nd, 2006, 07:07 PM   #456
Major Player

I would look for a used Optura Xi, around $500. Has native 16:9, which the GL1 or GL2 don't have.
Old August 25th, 2006, 04:52 PM   #457
Major Player

GL1 - Remove Built-in Mic?

Can the built-in microphone be removed or replaced on the GL1?
Old August 25th, 2006, 07:09 PM   #458
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa Shofner
Can the built-in microphone be removed or replaced on the GL1?
I'm sure you can google up some instructions on how to remove it, but I'm not sure I see why you'd want to. You could always just not use it and connect another mic to the 1/8" input (using a beachtek if necessary).
Old August 25th, 2006, 07:25 PM   #459
Obstreperous Rex

I don't think you're going to find anything through Google on how to remove it, but why would you want to anyway. Is it interefering with a matte box or some other lens attachment?

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2006, 07:38 PM   #460
Major Player

Actually, I was just hoping to replace it. The metal cage on mine is slightly damaged (mic still works though) and was hoping that there was a simple way to replace. No biggie though, just wanted to ask. After listening to some sound tests from onboard mic vs aftermarket, I think i'll just buy an aftermarket mic and not worry about the "ugly factor" of mine.

Thanks guys for your input.
Old August 25th, 2006, 09:00 PM   #461
Obstreperous Rex

Yeah, replacing it is a job for a Canon service center. Your best bet is the external mic anyway.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2006, 10:56 AM   #462
Major Player

GL1 to Disneyland?

I'm taking a trip to Disneyland and Six Flags (in CA) in about 3 weeks. I've been debating on whether or not to take my GL1 with me. It is going to be a huge trip and a lot of fun (about 10-15 people in my group, 4 days). I'd love to get footage of the tip an compile a DVD or something for everyone.

I'm just worried about my precious camera. How delicate is it? Obviously I wouldnt want to take it on a ride, I don't think they'd let me anyways. But does it seem safe to take it at all? I could take my consumer miniDV (Panasonic) and I would feel safer, of course I would suffer less quality video.

What's your opinion, would you take your GL1 or GL2 with you to Disneyland?
Old August 28th, 2006, 11:10 AM   #463
Capt. Quirk

The GL1 will be fine. On our 5 day stay at the Disney resort, I took my HD100 through Animal Kingdom and Epcot. Aside from being wore out by it, it was great. The GL is a lot lighter, more compact, and you can get a WA58 for about $100 for those wide shots. Make sure you have plenty of batteries and tapes.

By the way, I should have the shipping cost for your remote tonight. Sorry I haven't been able to get it to you sooner. Or would you like to just call it $5.95 and I'll cover the diff?
Old August 28th, 2006, 03:08 PM   #464
Major Player

I worry too much?

I guess the camera should be fine as long as I keep my eyes on it and keep it out of the water right?

Where are you shipping that remote from? I thought it would be under $5
Old August 28th, 2006, 03:17 PM   #465
Capt. Quirk

I'm shipping from Florida. The box should weigh in at 1LB, and I think that is like just under $5 3day select. But, my scale is on the fritz, so I'm not positive of the weight.

And yes, make sure you have a good waterproof bag for the camera. It does tend to rain after spending $60 to get into Disney. My bag was soaked, and the camera itself stayed fairly dry, but it was damp in the bag.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders