Various GL1 / XM1 questions - Page 32 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old August 28th, 2006, 04:47 PM   #466
Trustee

I carry my camera in a Kata camera case for when I need to put it away. And I carry a plastic bag in the case to put the case in when it starts to rain. My Sony FX1 survives just fine. I carry a tripod in a sling across my back so I can get into my own shots.

I have some amazing shots of my wife and I with various characters. The tripod makes the shots I take worth watching. No shakes. Besides, you can hand off your still camera for people to take your picture (we do that for people every time we go) but it is difficult to hand someone a movie camera and ask them to shoot your movie for you. Of course, I also volunteer to do that quite a bit.

I am happy to now live near Orlando so I can get full use out of my annual pass. We go quite often. I wonder if I could make some spare change shooting a family's vacation for them? Follow them everywhere and shoot them doing everything. I doubt Disney would let me if they knew what I was doing, but it would be an interesting thought. No?
Old August 28th, 2006, 04:58 PM   #467
Capt. Quirk

Hey Steven- Since you have the pass, go to Animal Kingdom, and you can arrange for a VIP photo safari. It is about $50 a person, but they have a seasoned guide take you behind the scenes, where the regular tourists don't go.
Old August 28th, 2006, 06:00 PM   #468
Trustee

I have thought about that. I figure I will wait until it gets a bit cooler so the animals are a bit more active. There are a few behind-the-scenes tours around the parks that interest me. I may even do the one on the Segway around Epcot one of these days. But for that I guess I would need a helmet cam.
Old September 16th, 2006, 02:02 PM   #469
New Boot

Japanese GL1, what's it worth? Should I bother?

Hey guys, I've found a very low priced Japanese GL1, well I think $500 is low, only used lightly in a studio on a tripod, with decent accessories included, and I've downloaded the english manual. If I pick this up, it will be for a backup camera. So my first question is, has anyone ever seen or used one? I've heard of plenty of japanese VX1000s that people figure out fine. How much would you spend on a well maintained, lightly used setup like I've described? I'd appreciate any advice or helpful information.
-ben
Ben Piff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2006, 06:33 AM   #470
Regular Crew

2nd hand from Japan

Dear Ben,

I can find quite many Japanese 2nd hand computers, digital cameras and sometimes DV cams in Hong Kong. I bought a 2nd hand IBM computer and a Canon G1, the IBM computer is OK but the G1 is not too good since the red in the pictures is purple. I later exchange the G1 for a 2nd hand G3, which is working fine. Buying such stuff is like a gamble.

Regards,

Kenneth
Kenneth Tong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2006, 04:07 PM   #471
Wrangler

FWIW: there is an internal setting on NTSC GL1s for North America or Japan. Changing it requires the RM-95 Remote Commander modified to provide service adjustment features.
Old October 3rd, 2006, 08:02 AM   #472
Tourist

GL1 wont power up

I cant get a Gl1 to turn on. Either in camera or VCR mode. It is not in LOCK. Batteries are fully charged. Any ideas?
Greg Koenig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2006, 08:07 AM   #473
Obstreperous Rex

It needs to be sent in to Canon Factory Service in Jamesburg, NJ.

Canon Factory Service
100 Jamesburg Road
Jamesburg, NJ 08831
tel: 732-521-7007

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2006, 07:43 AM   #474
Regular Crew

Try power supply?

Did you try connecting the camera to the power supply rather than batteries?
Old October 4th, 2006, 08:07 AM   #475
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Donley
Did you try connecting the camera to the power supply rather than batteries?

True, try a different power source, if that doesn't work, follow the godfather's advice.
Old October 4th, 2006, 02:36 PM   #476
Tourist

we dont have a way to power direct to the camera... only a charger for the batteries.

Isnt there a way to take it locally instead of sending it out and waiting forever to get it back?
Greg Koenig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2006, 08:05 AM   #477
Inner Circle

Need Help Opening a GL1

A friend has a GL1 that has a problem with the tape transport controls.

In VCR Mode, the tape transport controls do not work, but the transport does work while capturing.

I believe this is a problem with the ribbon cable, specifically, at the connection in the handle to the group of switches.

I have found where the ribbon cable from the handle area plugs into a connector on the right side of the GL1.

I have not been able to disassemble to handle to get to the other end of this ribbon cable.

Don posted this previously:

Actually, the stock mic is fairly good for a build-in mic. Problem is no mic is going to sound very good if more than a few feet from the talent, and more direcitonal mics reduce potentially unwanted sound from the sides. The stock mic is stereo with a cardoid pattern 45 degrees to left and right of center, so pick up is fairly wide.

Getting to the mic capsules is a substantial undertaking. It goes something like:
remove bottom cover (6 screws)
remove left cover (6 screws)
remove top cover (3 screws)
remove the "U" cover (red plastic around LCD pivot)
remove handle unit (8 screws)
Then you disassemble the handle unit
remove excessory shoe sprint
remove a cable protector plat at back of handel (2 screws)
separate handle top and bottom (7 screws)
Working on the handle top
remove accessory shoe (2 screws)
remove one screw from a connector CN453 to remove the mic unit.

Note that the screws are various sizes and types, so be careful to keep them in order and in the proper locations.

You can order a service manual from Canon parts with photos, etc. that might help in the process

I have successfully removed the bottom cover.

I have not been able to remove the left cover. I have located and removed the six screws and a seventh under the transport cover. But the cover seems to be held down near the mode control dial.

I have found three screws for the top rear (dark color) top cover.

Any help will be appreciated.

Last edited by Dan Keaton; October 8th, 2006 at 04:55 PM.
Dan Keaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2006, 04:41 AM   #478
Wrangler

Just to be sure, the left cover is on the left as you look into the lens. It contains the tape tramsport door. It also includes the 5-conductor ribbon cable from the start/stop/standby/lock switch in the left cover.

Three screws are to the front of the camcorder (one by the mic jack, one on top and one under.)

and three to the rear (one above the IEEE1394 jack, on under the tape door, and one by the earphone jack)
Old October 9th, 2006, 06:53 AM   #479
Inner Circle

Dear Don,

Thank you for the additional information.

I was using the wrong frame of reference. I was thinking left meant the LCD viewer side, thinking of a frame of reference as one would hold the camera with the lens pointing forward. I will adjust my thinking.

I have been able to loosen, but not remove the LCD side cover, and have been able to completely remove the transport side cover. The LCD side cover appears to be held down near the mode control dial. I expect that this will be solved when I am able to remove the top rear cover (a dark plastic part).

I have not been able to remove the top rear cover, in my terminology this is a dark plastic part, that the EVF slides into.

I do not have the camera in front of me at this time, but I remember removing a screw near the IEEE1394 jack and one under the tape door. I do not remember removing one by the earphone jack. I will check on this as soon as I get home tonight.

I really appreciate your assistance. I expect that the switch block to ribbon cable connection is the problem.

Is the "Top Cover" the dark plastic part at the rear of the camera, the part that the EVF slides into?

How does one remove the red plastic "U" cover?

Don, I really appreciate your assistance.
Old October 9th, 2006, 06:50 PM   #480
Inner Circle

Dear Don,

Just to be clear, here is my progress. I will use your terminology.

The bottom cover has been removed.

The left cover, the transport cover has been removed.
(Three screws are to the front of the camcorder (one by the mic jack, one on top and one under.

And three to the rear (one above the IEEE1394 jack, one under the tape door, and one by the earphone jack)

Now I have removed the top cover, a white piece of plastic directly under the front middle of the handle, in other words, the white piece of plastic on the body of the camera, directly under the photo button on the handle?

I have the handle loose, but not completely apart from the rest of the camera. How do you separate the top half of the handle from the bottom half in order to get to the switch block?

Don, I want to thank you again for your assistance. I would not have made it this far without you.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders