Various GL1 / XM1 questions - Page 35 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old October 11th, 2007, 10:07 AM   #511
Regular Crew

I record timelapse footage straight into my laptop with no tape..had the power supply connected..worked fine, but I think the camera being connected to the computer via the firewire overrides the camera fallin "asleep." Do you have access to a laptop by any chance? that's probably ur best bet..capture straight into NLE..and you could edit if needed or just burn onto dvd from there..
Brendan Donohue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2007, 08:12 PM   #512
Major Player

tapeless..

You don't need a tape to accomplish what you're saying. Eject any tape. Run the AV cable into the DVD Recorder, the camera won't power down.

You can still do it off of battery and you can still do it with the tape door shut, as long as there's no tape inside.

I've done it many times.
Jeremiah Rickert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2007, 02:35 PM   #513
Tourist

Canon GL1 & GL1a

What is the differnce between the Canon GL1 & GL1a?

I'm new to this site as you can tell

My grandmother gave me this video camera that I hardly ever use. So I think I might get rid of it but I'm not sure if it's the GL1 or GL1a.
Chris Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2007, 02:45 PM   #514
Obstreperous Rex

There was no such thing as a GL1a. There was only the GL1.

Are you sure you're not asking about the difference between the GL1 and GL2? There's a world of difference between these two camcorders. So much changed going from the GL1 to the GL2 that it's a lot easier to tell you how they're the same rather than how they're different.

How they're the same: Both have a 20x zoom lens, optical image stabilization and Frame movie mode. Everything else between them is different.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2007, 06:31 PM   #515
Wrangler

Within the XL line, the DM-XL1A was the North American (NTSC) version
The letter "E" was used to designate the European (PAL) version; e.g., DM-XL1E.
The NTSC version of the HV20 is labeled HV20A, and the PAL version is HV20E.

FWIW: The Canon L2A was the NTSC version of the L2, and the old A1DigitalA (going back to to 1991) was the NTSC version.

I've not seen the "A" designation used in the the GL1 literature (owners manual or service manual), because the PAL variants have a designation (i.e., XM1). However, that nomenclature (DM-GL1A) is retained on the nameplate of the NTSC version of the camcorder.

Thus we can assume with some measure of confidence that the GL1A is just the North American (NTSC) version of the GL1.
Old October 16th, 2007, 05:54 AM   #516
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Palomaki View Post
...that nomenclature (DM-GL1A) is retained on the nameplate of the NTSC version of the camcorder.
Now that I did not know. I learn something from you just about every time you post, Don -- many thanks,

Old October 16th, 2007, 06:45 AM   #517
Tourist

Okay. I have the GL1 then.
On the botem of the camera it has GL1a, but on the side it has GL1.

Thanks for the help.
Chris Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2007, 11:26 AM   #518
Tourist

Can GL1 be used as webcam?

Obviously, there is no USB interface. Is there a way to allow it to operate as a webcam? I do a daily internet video program, and I own a GL1. I currently use a Panasonic sdr s150 as a webcam. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Marc
Marc Steenbarger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2007, 01:25 PM   #519
Inner Circle

I have used my Canon XM2 as a webcam several times. So I believe you should be able to use the GL1 too. (you will have to use firewire)
Trond Saetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2007, 02:02 PM   #520
Inner Circle

I use 35mm as webcam. Really, works great, I get no complaints from my chat-partners!

only kidding, I think you should have no problem using the GL1 as a webcam, if the program and your computer recognizes it.
Mathieu Ghekiere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2007, 01:26 PM   #521
Tourist

My GL1 is running the demo when a webcam

I plugged in the firewire, and my video app recognizes the cam. However, the camera goes into an auto demo mode, zooming, slimming and stretching.

How do I kill the GL1 demo?

I am running a daily internet TV program, and really want to use this camera! Thanks.

Marc
Marc Steenbarger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2007, 03:54 PM   #522
Obstreperous Rex

Camera Menu > Demo Mode > Off.

As described on page 23 of the GL1 operator's manual.

Old November 1st, 2007, 01:51 PM   #523
New Boot

best tape for a gl1

Hi everybody, I just got a used gl1 and now I'm confused about which brand of tapes should use,
the person that owned this camera recommended panasonic
but as I have seen various types and prices I don't know which will be the best for this camera
so the thing is, does getting the expensive ones makes a difference?
or it's is ok to get the cheaper?
also which is the one You use (if you have a gl1)?
and where you buy them, I think most of us (if not all) look for the best prices.
Javier Rios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2007, 12:19 PM   #524
Regular Crew

The GL1 is a great camera to get started with, especially if you picked up for a good price. Stay with Panasonic brand there is nothing wrong with them and it is always best to stay with the same brand.

I pick my tapes up at thetapguys.com. Fair price and good service. Since your still shooting standard def, I would suggest saving the money get their middle grade tape.

Chad
Chad Ream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2007, 04:00 PM   #525
Tourist

No Start Up on GL1

Went to turn on my GL1 and nothing happens. It was working absolutely fine a couple hours earlier. Batteries are all good. I hit the reset button to no avail. Wondering if there's a backup battery inside that would prohibit the camera from turning on. If there is a b/u battery how do you get access to it and what type of battery is it that I'd need to replace. Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.
Kevin Welsh is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders