DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   Various GL1 / XM1 questions (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-gl-series-dv-camcorders/264-various-gl1-xm1-questions.html)

danielhess November 1st, 2001 05:05 PM

Various GL1 / XM1 questions

Downloading to DV500 plus

I just put together a P4 1.7 GHz computer with a Pinnacle DV500 plus capture card with Premiere 6.0 for editing. I've had some real problems getting device control to work with my GL1. Has anyone else had this problem and if so, did you solve it?

Help!

Adrian Douglas November 2nd, 2001 01:49 AM

Daniel, as with all hardware, make sure you have the latest driver. If you do here are some DV500 querks you may want to check.

1. Make sure your card is installed in the first PCI slot.
2. Install it to it's own IRQ, do not share it with anything else.

Don't use Win98 or ME. Use WinNT or 2000(pref W2K)

I had heaps of problems getting mine set up but once I did it works a treat.

Ed Baatz November 8th, 2001 04:17 PM

You might like using Windows XP. Naturally there are the expected rough edges but from what I can tell the OS is a gigantic improvement over 98SE.

When installing XP it PnP configured my "generic" Texas Instruments 1394 OHCI compliant card and Premiere 6 blemish free. Although, I have heard complaints about XP not working properly with "some" firewire cards.

The PCI slot and IRQ mentioned above are probably your best bets for getting back to work...

FWIW, my firewire card is in slot 3 and sharing its IRQ 10 with the USB host.

Adrian Douglas November 9th, 2001 05:02 AM

Daniel, how are things going. Making any progress. Personally I wouldn't go the XP way yet. Sure it's good to have the latest but it has only been out for a month or so. I'd wait for the first revision at least to let MS get the bugs sorted. Also Pinnacle hasn't written the drivers yet, they are almost in Beta but it will still be a while. The same thing happened with W2k. Pinnacle aren't the greatest when it comes to drivers, they usually take a while.

I use W2k, and it works beautifully. If you use NTFS you won't have problems with the 4GB file limit and the file system is fast and stable. Download the Version 2.0 driver if you have Premiere 6.0 also the PPE tool

Ed Baatz November 10th, 2001 03:57 PM

Audio Additions to the GL1

1) Is the Lightwave Systems mic equalizer worth buying? Canon lists it as an "authorized" accessory and offers it at $150. What does it actually do?

2) Where can I find out basic info about adding shotgun mics and wireless lav-type mics thru Beachteks' adapter for the GL1?

3) What options are there between say, Sennheiser quality and Radio Shack quality mics?

4) When using a Beachtek adapter, audio tracks 3 and 4 are utilized along with the ever present built-in GL1 microphone?

Thanks...

Ed

Ed Baatz November 10th, 2001 10:35 PM

Monitoring GL1 audio with headphones

When plugging in a pair of stereo headphones with an adapter that reduces the standard stereo "phone" plug down to a stereo mini-plug (with 3-conductors) --- it produces a major hum but no audio.

The cable that came with the GL1 to connect to composite video (yellow) and audio (red & white) has male phono plugs on one end and a male mini-type-plug (with four-conductors) on the other that is inserted into the same port that headphones are supposed to use.

What type of adapter do I need in order to be able to use headphones to monitor the audio while shooting with the GL1?

I would just go to Radio Shack but those people often know even less than I do... :-)

Thanks, Ed

Nathan Gifford November 11th, 2001 04:10 PM

The LightWave Equalizer is a wind muffler. It works very, very well on my XL-1. However, I am not all that impressed with the onboard mic on the GL-1. Before I bought the Equalizer (which is excellent), I would certainly think more about getting a better mic for the GL.

There are a lot of people who like the BeachTeks: I have heard of few complaints. There is suppose to be another one that the BBC likes to use with their systems that may be a little better, but the name escapes me.

As for info on audio, I would call www.crossroadsaudio.com. They seem to be very up on the various mic systems available and have good prices to boot.

Between Sennheiser and RS? Try Shure. Radio Shack sells them and for reasonable prices too. BTW, though the MKE2 lav from Sennheiser is great, that $30 one from RS is no slouch either.

Ass far as wireless systems go, I always start off by telling people DO NOT GET THE SONY WCS-999...ITS JUNK. The rest of Sony gear is quite good, but the WCS-999 does not even make a good paper weight.

My favorite wireless is the Sennheiser eW112p (Evolution 100 series with an omni lav). It cost around $400-$450, but works extremely well. If you are on budget, Nady makes some great ones too and if you do not mind VHF, can be had for around $150.

Your biggest problem with GL audio is the lack of controls. The GL's AGC works very well, but not as well as an all manual system. The BeachTek will help lots.

Nathan Gifford

danielhess November 14th, 2001 04:53 PM

Thanks to all for some great information!

I did some research of my own, and, according to the Pinnacle website, the DV500 plus card doesn't support the GL1!!!!

It's okey though, since I had borrowed the GL1 and have just purchased an XL1S, which is supported (my fingers are crossed!!)

Again, thanks for the help. As soon as my XL1S arrives, I'll try the firewire and see if it truly works. If it does, I'll pass it along.

Don Donatello November 14th, 2001 05:28 PM

2)the following link has some good audio info

http://www.equipmentemporium.com/articles.htm

1)i would NOT spend the $$ on the equalizer for the on board mic ! the mic does pick up sound BUT "quality is not good !

i would spend $$ for a equalizer for a external mic ... i use a AT 4073 and use equalizer i100% of the time for interior and exterior ...

3) what model senn are you thinking of ... if something like a me 66 then RS makes NOTHING close to it !!

4) using a XLR adapter like beachtek puts the audio on track 1& 2
once you plug anything into the gL mic input it disables the onboard mic ... the GL does NOT do 4 tracks of audio

Don Donatello November 14th, 2001 05:39 PM

perhaps i'm don't quite understand where you are plugging in the headphones ??

look at your manual the headphone output is by itself. has it own plastic cover ..only jack under cover ... it is located below the BIG cover that you are finding the VIDEO OUT ... it's a very small cover ......

the cable you are talking of ( yellow , red , white ) is for going from/to GL video ( yellow) and other 2 are audio ( not to headphones they are "LINE" in/out ) ...... IE going to/from VCR , analog camera ,

the GL does take a mini stereo jack for the headphones ...

most headphones you buy today come with mini plug and adapter to make it phone size ......

Adrian Douglas November 15th, 2001 03:13 AM

Daniel, bad news, I don't think the DV500 supports the XL1s. The XL1 it does, flawlessly but the XL1s being new and Pinnacle being about 6months behind the times, I have my doubts. They are currently writing new drivers to support Windows XP and hopefully XL1s suppot will be in there, hopefully......

Ed Baatz November 15th, 2001 10:20 PM

Donatello,

Gee, so that's what you plug headphones into???

Thanks for telling me exactly where to look--- because I couldn't tell from the manual that there was a jack there.

THANKS!!!!

Ed

david.murr November 25th, 2001 05:27 PM

Rain slickers for GL1?

Does anyone know of a good "raincoat" for the GL1? I've seen a few things from Porta Brace that are along the lines of what I'm looking for, but I'm unable to find one that will fit a camera of the GL1's size.

Thanks!
David

Ed Frazier November 26th, 2001 07:39 AM

Hi David,

PortaBrace has the model RS-GL-1 for the GL1. I have their XL1 rain slicker and although I haven't had an opportunity to use it yet, it seems to be a well made piece. They have a new model that will cover the XL1 with MA200 if anyone needs something like that.

Kata also lists model numbers RC-13 and RC-14 for compact and medium size cameras. One of those would probably work for the GL1. All are available at good prices from www.zgc.com.

Ed Frazier

david.murr November 26th, 2001 01:10 PM

Thanks!