DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   Accessory Shoe (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-gl-series-dv-camcorders/26810-accessory-shoe.html)

Jason Gurwin May 31st, 2004 07:28 AM

Accessory Shoe

Is the Accessory Shoe built on to the GL2?

Graham Bernard May 31st, 2004 08:05 AM

New Shoes for Old

The accessory "hot-shoe" - that is it is a multi-pin affair doing several jobs - is integral to the cammie. Other accessory shoes can be mounted within this OR from the MA300 OR from using a totally alternative arrangement. There are many options. BUT once you have introduced a "cold" device into the hot-shoe you, of course, will have isolated anything that could have made use of this hot-shoe facility/option.

Counter question for you .. . Why do you want to know? What have got planned for this accessory/hot-shoe? You may need to explore some other alternatives.

I'm intrigued by your question

Grazie

Jason Gurwin May 31st, 2004 08:41 AM

I may want to add a mic or light to the camera.

Graham Bernard May 31st, 2004 11:13 AM

Jason,

I've put together some links. One showing the MA300 Audio adaptor. Others have their own opinion about this gadget, but it does slide into the top hot shoe, provide 2 XLR adpators, a BNC option, an offset "cold-clamp" for a a mic and atop of this an option to slide in a lamp. I use the Pag Light C6 system - 20 watts of assistance to the XM2 which without would leave my cammie "squinting" or peering into the dark . . .

Okay, the reason for the links is that you may wish to really seriously contemplate which way you want to go . . You could, of course get a Beechtek audio adaptor to place underneath the cammie . . . there are others too .. do a search here abouts. You could also just get a mic that plugs directly into the side of the cammie . . and get yourself a Canon 3 watt lamp to slide into the hjot shoe .. I bought one .. only good for the first 3'-4' of a dark situation. Now with the Pag light its the way I go . . . I use the MA300 and slide in a Senni 66 + K6 module . . I've also got the Senni wireless mic system. This goes into the "other" XLR inpout . .. OKay, the reason I'm spelling out all this "stuff" is that you should really think long and hard aboput which way - often for me it was budget - you wish to choose. Betcha what though? You gonna make some buying decisions that you can't get back from .. . I've done it .. the VL3 3 watt lamp and a totally useless 12 watt lamp ! Barmy! Cost me £100 all told . . I didn't listen to my chums here . .

Here are the links:

http://www.dvinfo.net/canongl2/articles/topfive.php

http://www.videodirect.com/canon/digcc/gl2.html

http://www.videodirect.com/canon/digcc/acc-gl2.html

Hope this helps,

Grazie

Jason Gurwin June 1st, 2004 08:24 PM

Thank you very much!

Brian Miller June 2nd, 2004 08:11 AM

I have a follow-up question on this topic...

Is there any way to add a second "S" (as Canon refers to it 'Advanced Accessory Shoe') hot shoe, or a "S" splitter to the camera? I have a VL-3 light, an MA-300 and an Azden shotgun mic that doesn't need the "S" shoe, which I would like to use together. All of the multiple 'cold' shoe splitters out there will render the VL-3 inoperable.

I am contemplating outfitting my bicycle helmet with a microphone mount so I can use both the Azden and the VL-3, but such an outfit won't work too well at formal events when I am working solo.

I sure wish they had put a hot mount on top of the MA-300!

Thanks.

Graham Bernard June 2nd, 2004 08:45 AM

Ken, please read . . . haha!

<<<-- Originally posted by Brian Miller : I have a follow-up question on this topic...

I am contemplating outfitting my bicycle helmet with a microphone mount so I can use both the Azden and the VL-3, but such an outfit won't work too well at formal events when I am working solo. -->>>

. .Ken is this chap pulling my leg!?!?! I needed a larf . . .

Yes, the MA300 knocks out the hot shoe for the VL3. A double hotshoe? I haven't seen one . ..

Grazie .. .

Brian Miller June 2nd, 2004 11:15 PM

Graham -

Yes, I am pulling your leg. However, I haven't come up with any other solutions yet, and was hoping someone here could suggest something. I don't use the bicycle helmet much anymore though, and would love to give it a new purpose in life.

I think a shoulder mount for the microphone may be too intimidating - would remind people of that 'Predator' monster from those silly movies.

I think finding an accessory shoe assembly that attaches to the camera from the tripod mount underneath would do the trick best. I seem to remember having an old one buried around here from my still photography days.

Graham Bernard June 2nd, 2004 11:24 PM

I knew that! .. I think . .?

Love the Predator image . . Just think of turning up at a Wedding . . or Baptism .. or Barmitzah? - Shred the last idea . .the Boy would probably think it was way to koooollll ! ! ! . . Now, on second thoughts . . hmmmm.....

Grazie . . . .

Ken Tanaka June 2nd, 2004 11:27 PM

Brian,
If you do not need to use the power and electronic connections of the "S" shoe there are many ways to expand to accommodate an on-cam mic and on-cam light. Frankly, that's about the only way you'll be able to use a usable on-cam light. The idea regarding a bracket with a shoe is the way to go if this is your objective.

Brian Miller June 2nd, 2004 11:39 PM

>Just think of turning up at a Wedding . . or Baptism .. or Barmitzah? - Shred the last idea . .the Boy would probably think it was way to koooollll ! ! !

Funny you should mention it, but I leave tomorrow morning for my first official shoot - a Bar Mitzvah in Baltimore!

Graham Bernard June 2nd, 2004 11:56 PM

Brian:

1 - Make sure you KNOW and FILM the grandparents - I know! I have the scars of experience on this one . . .

2 - Two camera shoot? - Be sure of your filming schedule with both cameras - yeah?

3 - Make sure you get the Boy's reactions to things . .

4 - Get from the hosts the "planned" schedule . . . often it goes South at some point .. .

HAVE FUN!

Grazie

Alan McCormick June 3rd, 2004 11:50 PM

Antler Shoe

Came across this on another forum, no ide what it is like but allows up to 3 accesories.

here

Ken Tanaka June 4th, 2004 12:07 AM

"Antler" is a good description of that gizmo. Wow! Load that baby up and people will be running from you! <g>

Graham Bernard June 4th, 2004 12:28 AM

Caught on the Horns of a Dialema!

Alan, thank you . . "Monarch of the Glen" comes to mind . . how apt! . . Just thought of that . .

Ken .. very funny! Something like this eh? http://www.skullsunlimited.com/graph...r-skull-lg.jpg

Seriously, this if funcion over form - and in my opinon it looks clumsy and ugly . . . I suspect a lot of leverage down at the bottom joint, the idea of hanging stuff of the edges . . ppphhoorrgh . .not for me . . Alan I did see this some time back. As you know and have seen my MA300, I'm still aware of the leverage "moment" down at the actual foot when I stack stuff on top - Senni MK66 and the Senni reciever AND now the Paglight . . .

Lets face facts here. The XM2 does a lot and some .. but without some serious home engineering I can't think of a secure way of securing everything I want on this cammie AND be able to get to the controls . .. I think Sony's PD170 use of having the XLR options fixed atop comes close to a best compromise - yeah?

Grazie