Accessory Shoe at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old May 31st, 2004, 07:28 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Accessory Shoe

Is the Accessory Shoe built on to the GL2?
Jason Gurwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2004, 08:05 AM   #2
Old Boot

New Shoes for Old

The accessory "hot-shoe" - that is it is a multi-pin affair doing several jobs - is integral to the cammie. Other accessory shoes can be mounted within this OR from the MA300 OR from using a totally alternative arrangement. There are many options. BUT once you have introduced a "cold" device into the hot-shoe you, of course, will have isolated anything that could have made use of this hot-shoe facility/option.

Counter question for you .. . Why do you want to know? What have got planned for this accessory/hot-shoe? You may need to explore some other alternatives.

I'm intrigued by your question

Grazie
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2004, 08:41 AM   #3
Regular Crew

I may want to add a mic or light to the camera.
Old May 31st, 2004, 11:13 AM   #4
Old Boot

Jason,

I've put together some links. One showing the MA300 Audio adaptor. Others have their own opinion about this gadget, but it does slide into the top hot shoe, provide 2 XLR adpators, a BNC option, an offset "cold-clamp" for a a mic and atop of this an option to slide in a lamp. I use the Pag Light C6 system - 20 watts of assistance to the XM2 which without would leave my cammie "squinting" or peering into the dark . . .

Okay, the reason for the links is that you may wish to really seriously contemplate which way you want to go . . You could, of course get a Beechtek audio adaptor to place underneath the cammie . . . there are others too .. do a search here abouts. You could also just get a mic that plugs directly into the side of the cammie . . and get yourself a Canon 3 watt lamp to slide into the hjot shoe .. I bought one .. only good for the first 3'-4' of a dark situation. Now with the Pag light its the way I go . . . I use the MA300 and slide in a Senni 66 + K6 module . . I've also got the Senni wireless mic system. This goes into the "other" XLR inpout . .. OKay, the reason I'm spelling out all this "stuff" is that you should really think long and hard aboput which way - often for me it was budget - you wish to choose. Betcha what though? You gonna make some buying decisions that you can't get back from .. . I've done it .. the VL3 3 watt lamp and a totally useless 12 watt lamp ! Barmy! Cost me £100 all told . . I didn't listen to my chums here . .

Here are the links:

http://www.dvinfo.net/canongl2/articles/topfive.php

http://www.videodirect.com/canon/digcc/gl2.html

http://www.videodirect.com/canon/digcc/acc-gl2.html

Hope this helps,

Grazie
Old June 1st, 2004, 08:24 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Thank you very much!
Old June 2nd, 2004, 08:11 AM   #6
Regular Crew

I have a follow-up question on this topic...

Is there any way to add a second "S" (as Canon refers to it 'Advanced Accessory Shoe') hot shoe, or a "S" splitter to the camera? I have a VL-3 light, an MA-300 and an Azden shotgun mic that doesn't need the "S" shoe, which I would like to use together. All of the multiple 'cold' shoe splitters out there will render the VL-3 inoperable.

I am contemplating outfitting my bicycle helmet with a microphone mount so I can use both the Azden and the VL-3, but such an outfit won't work too well at formal events when I am working solo.

I sure wish they had put a hot mount on top of the MA-300!

Thanks.
Brian Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2004, 08:45 AM   #7
Old Boot

Ken, please read . . . haha!

<<<-- Originally posted by Brian Miller : I have a follow-up question on this topic...

I am contemplating outfitting my bicycle helmet with a microphone mount so I can use both the Azden and the VL-3, but such an outfit won't work too well at formal events when I am working solo. -->>>

. .Ken is this chap pulling my leg!?!?! I needed a larf . . .

Yes, the MA300 knocks out the hot shoe for the VL3. A double hotshoe? I haven't seen one . ..

Grazie .. .
Old June 2nd, 2004, 11:15 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Graham -

Yes, I am pulling your leg. However, I haven't come up with any other solutions yet, and was hoping someone here could suggest something. I don't use the bicycle helmet much anymore though, and would love to give it a new purpose in life.

I think a shoulder mount for the microphone may be too intimidating - would remind people of that 'Predator' monster from those silly movies.

I think finding an accessory shoe assembly that attaches to the camera from the tripod mount underneath would do the trick best. I seem to remember having an old one buried around here from my still photography days.
Old June 2nd, 2004, 11:24 PM   #9
Old Boot

I knew that! .. I think . .?

Love the Predator image . . Just think of turning up at a Wedding . . or Baptism .. or Barmitzah? - Shred the last idea . .the Boy would probably think it was way to koooollll ! ! ! . . Now, on second thoughts . . hmmmm.....

Grazie . . . .
Old June 2nd, 2004, 11:27 PM   #10
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Brian,
If you do not need to use the power and electronic connections of the "S" shoe there are many ways to expand to accommodate an on-cam mic and on-cam light. Frankly, that's about the only way you'll be able to use a usable on-cam light. The idea regarding a bracket with a shoe is the way to go if this is your objective.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2004, 11:39 PM   #11
Regular Crew

>Just think of turning up at a Wedding . . or Baptism .. or Barmitzah? - Shred the last idea . .the Boy would probably think it was way to koooollll ! ! !

Funny you should mention it, but I leave tomorrow morning for my first official shoot - a Bar Mitzvah in Baltimore!
Old June 2nd, 2004, 11:56 PM   #12
Old Boot

Brian:

1 - Make sure you KNOW and FILM the grandparents - I know! I have the scars of experience on this one . . .

2 - Two camera shoot? - Be sure of your filming schedule with both cameras - yeah?

3 - Make sure you get the Boy's reactions to things . .

4 - Get from the hosts the "planned" schedule . . . often it goes South at some point .. .

HAVE FUN!

Grazie
Old June 3rd, 2004, 11:50 PM   #13
Major Player

Antler Shoe

Came across this on another forum, no ide what it is like but allows up to 3 accesories.

here
Old June 4th, 2004, 12:07 AM   #14
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

"Antler" is a good description of that gizmo. Wow! Load that baby up and people will be running from you! <g>

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2004, 12:28 AM   #15
Old Boot

Caught on the Horns of a Dialema!

Alan, thank you . . "Monarch of the Glen" comes to mind . . how apt! . . Just thought of that . .

Ken .. very funny! Something like this eh? http://www.skullsunlimited.com/graph...r-skull-lg.jpg

Seriously, this if funcion over form - and in my opinon it looks clumsy and ugly . . . I suspect a lot of leverage down at the bottom joint, the idea of hanging stuff of the edges . . ppphhoorrgh . .not for me . . Alan I did see this some time back. As you know and have seen my MA300, I'm still aware of the leverage "moment" down at the actual foot when I stack stuff on top - Senni MK66 and the Senni reciever AND now the Paglight . . .

Lets face facts here. The XM2 does a lot and some .. but without some serious home engineering I can't think of a secure way of securing everything I want on this cammie AND be able to get to the controls . .. I think Sony's PD170 use of having the XLR options fixed atop comes close to a best compromise - yeah?

Grazie
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders